Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing UK electrical plugs to Oz

Changing UK electrical plugs to Oz

Old Jul 29th 2014, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing UK electrical plugs to Oz

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
It's perhaps not so much the telling tales, but the strange sense of moral indignation because you aren't following the rules:

"You can't leave it parked like this!" or "The green man isn't on!" or "You can't wire your own plugs! They may catch on fire!"

S
I have not come across indignation. I was probably a bit bolshy yesterday but I find that rules are sometimes there but noone really is a jobsworth - (unless of course if you are Mr Shire Inspector then it is your job). Some of the rules are just courtesy and common sense. I've never met a tell-tale. In fact I find Australians, in general are a very tolerant nation. I think that Australia is a fairly safe place to be - and largely a frictionless society - and visitors to Africa, southern Europe and Asia would observe a lot more chaos (and rules). It has never had civil strife as such, civil war or huge social unrest. I've barely needed to observe a tenth of the rules this country is supposed to have.

And yes, as a society, my turn to generalise - I think Australians are quite conformist - especially in the suburbs - and - a distinct minority are real larrikans - but then few would actually claim to be. It's like the way not every Englishman lives in a castle, drinks real ale, and reads Shakespeare!