Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing plugs, No Fuses?????

Changing plugs, No Fuses?????

Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Ding Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really nice
Default Re: Changing plugs, No Fuses?????

May i also add,
A standard lamp will have a 3amp fused plug. the ring main protected by a 30 amp mcb. The fuse will blow first which is why we put fuses in plugs. Also if the fuse blows, you change the fuse, no harm done. Trip the mcb and you kill the whole circuit, turning off computers, freezers and anything else on the circuit.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:43 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Guy`s

From an Electricians point of view, Would it be safer to have a fuse in the plug or not if the correct fuse has been fitted and will always be replaced with the correct fuse if it were ever to blow.

1, Yes it would be more safe in one way or another?????????

2, No it would be dangerous and ineffective in one way or another?????????

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Sep 5th 2007 at 12:52 am.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:59 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Not an Electrician. but ......

If you have a 3amp fuse and the lamp has a fault and takes 10 amps, this will blow the fuse in the plug and not trip the 30amp breaker.

So it must be safer.

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Ok Guy`s

From an Electricians point of view, Would it be safer to have a fuse in the plug or not if the correct fuse has been fitted and will always be replaced with the correct fuse if it were ever to blow.

Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Guy`s

If you have correct RCD and MCB then having a fused plug makes no difference.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Not an Electrician. but ......

If you have a 3amp fuse and the lamp has a fault and takes 10 amps, this will blow the fuse in the plug and not trip the 30amp breaker.

So it must be safer.
The fault will be either a short circuit - live to neutral - and the MCB will trip or an earth fault and the RCD will trip.

IMO if you have proper RCD/MCB then fused plug makes no difference.

This is the last I'm going to post on this subject.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:44 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I have decided to leave the main appliances in the house going through extentions with UK plug sockets and change the plug going to the wall sockets! My pesonal opinion is that if the RCD/MCB or whatever else is in this house were to fail hopefully only my fuse will blow and help prevent my Plasma TV, NEW washing machine blow up on me when the RCD/MCB fail to work as they should and as they have done not so long ago!

I think we should now lay this thread to bed!

Thanks guy`s for your input

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The fault will be either a short circuit - live to neutral - and the MCB will trip or an earth fault and the RCD will trip.

IMO if you have proper RCD/MCB then fused plug makes no difference.

This is the last I'm going to post on this subject.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Danic;

i do agree with you on the earthing systems in the Uk are better in my view but the MEN is whats used here mate thats all im saying i would rather have the UK earthing system.

As for fuses in plug tops they are OK, if when they blow people dont replace with a larger current capacity, i suppose there are swings & roundabouts for all suggestions on here, i hope i have not misled you & annoyed you at all, after all we all on here are trying to help others.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:16 am
UK is Home

Not atall mate, i am not annoyed in anyway at any response from anyone on here.

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Danic;

i do agree with you on the earthing systems in the Uk are better in my view but the MEN is whats used here mate thats all im saying i would rather have the UK earthing system.

As for fuses in plug tops they are OK, if when they blow people dont replace with a larger current capacity, i suppose there are swings & roundabouts for all suggestions on here, i hope i have not misled you & annoyed you at all, after all we all on here are trying to help others.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:46 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Not atall mate, i am not annoyed in anyway at any response from anyone on here.
can i chuck my 10 bobs worth in ???

a short on a device with a 3amp cartridge fuse on a 32amp mcb/rcd will trip the rcd way before blowing the 3amp fuse due to the much faster disconnection time of the rcd device ie typically 20ms ( milliseconds )
so having a fuse or not on an rcd protected circuit is next to usless
unless the fault is a slight overload ie device pulls say 8amps instead of >3
then the fuse would disconnect

regards steve
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:02 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Danic;

how is the earthing system better in the uk in if you dont mind me asking.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

thanks for the comments mate thats exactly what ive been saying on this thread the same as you the MCB will trip in m/sec's where the fuse may take 5 secs to blow if at all due to any small fault current.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

as already posted, all new Aus builds have rcd's mcb's etc

also in the uk all new builds have rcd's mcb's etc. some consumer units are split eg. lights have no rcd protection just mcb's

older properties with the old non mcb fuses, would a fuse in your plug have added protection yes it would.

in Oz and the uk there are still many older properties with the old style main fuses / fuse wire etc.

in the uk a 4way /8way extension lead for example would have a 13amp fuse, this protects the flex from being over loaded etc. what stops a user overloading the extension lead in Oz.

on a gas central heating system in the uk, the system is normally protected by a 3amp fuse, sometimes if the system has not been used for a while eg during summer the pump may seize (most new boilers have anti-seize built in), with the 3amp fuse in place the fuse normally blows if the pump is turned on when seized, if there is an rcd or mcb on the system it does not normally trip, so when we attend the none working heating system we normally free the pump and change the fuse Job done, sometimes the pump also needs changing but more often than not it only needs to be unseized and change of fuse.

Jacen
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:51 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by What_a_life
as already posted, all new Aus builds have rcd's mcb's etc

also in the uk all new builds have rcd's mcb's etc. some consumer units are split eg. lights have no rcd protection just mcb's

older properties with the old non mcb fuses, would a fuse in your plug have added protection yes it would.

in Oz and the uk there are still many older properties with the old style main fuses / fuse wire etc.

in the uk a 4way /8way extension lead for example would have a 13amp fuse, this protects the flex from being over loaded etc. what stops a user overloading the extension lead in Oz.

on a gas central heating system in the uk, the system is normally protected by a 3amp fuse, sometimes if the system has not been used for a while eg during summer the pump may seize (most new boilers have anti-seize built in), with the 3amp fuse in place the fuse normally blows if the pump is turned on when seized, if there is an rcd or mcb on the system it does not normally trip, so when we attend the none working heating system we normally free the pump and change the fuse Job done, sometimes the pump also needs changing but more often than not it only needs to be unseized and change of fuse.

Jacen
Guess we're lucky none of us have central heating then and this isnt the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
Guess we're lucky none of us have central heating then and this isnt the UK.
Central Heating is common in Australia, usually reverse air con or gas warm air, both of which have fans, which can suffer the same problem as pumps that can seize.

Jacen
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

I know how to solve the problem once and for all, Instead of changing all the plugs on all your appliances. Simply change all your Aussie sockets in the walls for the 3 pin British ones Easy Peasy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.