Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing plugs, No Fuses?????

Changing plugs, No Fuses?????

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:15 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing plugs, No Fuses?????

Went to Bunnings yesterday and bought a few plugs.

Someone tell me why the guy there looked at me as if i was mental when i asked if they do plugs with fuses in them? he also gave me an answer to the question: What if something were to overheat what protection would it have from blowing up or catcjing fire? Answer: it should be ok your mains box has a trip if anything like this were to happen! Next Question: why was it when i bought a washing machine ( second hand) that it lasted 5 minutes and blew up with a big bang and the circuit breaker didnt trip? answer: Shrug of the shoulders:curse: FFS how many you guys out there had a fuse blown in an electrical item that saved it blowing up and you being shocked to death/ ( not literally)

NOW: they talk about health and safety here, what is going on???

Someone tell me you do get plugs with fuses cause i dont plan on changing all my appliances i will only be changing he plug at the end of all the UK extensions i brought over and use everything with the UK plug still on which have fuses in them.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing plugs, No Fuses?????

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga

Someone tell me why the guy there looked at me as if i was mental when i asked if they do plugs with fuses in them? he also gave me an answer to the question: What if something were to overheat what protection would it have from blowing up or catcjing fire? Answer: it should be ok your mains box has a trip if anything like this were to happen! Next Question: why was it when i bought a washing machine ( second hand) that it lasted 5 minutes and blew up with a big bang and the circuit breaker didnt trip? answer: Shrug of the shoulders:curse: FFS how many you guys out there had a fuse blown in an electrical item that saved it blowing up and you being shocked to death/ ( not literally)

Someone tell me you do get plugs with fuses cause i dont plan on changing all my appliances i will only be changing he plug at the end of all the UK extensions i brought over and use everything with the UK plug still on which have fuses in them.
Fuses in plugs are a throwback to the days before RCDs and I think the UK is the only place that has them (and other countries like Singapore that use UK style plugs). The protection in your main board - RCD and MCBs - is sufficient.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:47 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

And of course changing your own plugs is not permitted in qld.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:13 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by datamile
And of course changing your own plugs is not permitted in qld.
don't start that again
once every 3 months is allowable

to the OP do a search on here about fuses & plugs, it's been discussed to the 'n'th degree
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:14 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, i hope you dont mind me asking.

Why did the washing machine bang like a bomb had gone off and is completey nackered and why did the electricity not trip at the main box? i`m not a spark but surely if you can make a statement like you did you will have an answer to the Q? would i be right in saying that theres a fault with the Electrics in this house or just shrug my shoulders and think Sheeite happens.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fuses in plugs are a throwback to the days before RCDs and I think the UK is the only place that has them (and other countries like Singapore that use UK style plugs). The protection in your main board - RCD and MCBs - is sufficient.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, i hope you dont mind me asking.

Why did the washing machine bang like a bomb had gone off and is completey nackered and why did the electricity not trip at the main box? i`m not a spark but surely if you can make a statement like you did you will have an answer to the Q? would i be right in saying that theres a fault with the Electrics in this house or just shrug my shoulders and think Sheeite happens.
Without having a look at the appliance or the main board it's hard to say.
The circuit breaker could have been faulty. Did the board have an RCD? The fault could have caused an open circuit that is no longer shorting.

Get the wiring and main board checked by a sparky.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:31 am
UK is Home

is this an up to date box?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Without having a look at the appliance or the main board it's hard to say.
The circuit breaker could have been faulty. Did the board have an RCD? The fault could have caused an open circuit that is no longer shorting.

Get the wiring and main board checked by a sparky.
Attached Thumbnails Changing plugs, No Fuses?????-main-box.jpg  
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

is this an up to date box?
Looks okay to me. Could be a faulty MCB or RCD.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:08 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

When we first got here i had the washing machine on aswell as the dryer. BANG!!!! all electric went off. Opps!! someone forgot to tell me it's only 10amp in OZ rather than 15 i am used to.

Hairdryer on aswell as heater...BANG!!! forgot again that you can't have too much electric on at the same time.

You get used to it.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny_Glesga;

one reason may be if there is NO earth on your place then you have big problems, the circuit breaker shall trip if you have a short between active & neutral of if the earth is good then your C/B shall trip, however if you also have an RCD fitted your appliance shall trip the RCD & C/B withing 30m/a.

your washing machine must have a direct fault on the thing, i know what your saying i would be having the RCD & C/B checked out.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:22 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

So having a fuse in the plug (as back up) would have saved the WM?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny_Glesga;
you wont get any fused plugs in Australia mate, its as simple as that you may say the fuse protects the appliance maybe maybe NOT, however when people have a fault its common for people to insert a larger capacity fuse sustaining in a larger fault current to flow thats one of the main drawbacks in the UK system, fuses can be very dangerous to say the least.

If you have an RCD connected via a circuit breaker you have total protection and the C/B & RCD wont allow you to switch on the breaker or RCD until you have the fault cleared. Fuses are very old technology as are rewirable fuses they have now been outlawed throughout Australia for any new premises.

i would think very carefully about not changing appliances to Australian standards
if you persist in keeping the UK plugs your insurance may be void if you have a fire think again my friend, is it worth it all for a few plug tops.

if you need anymore help or advice then feel free to ask.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:28 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

But wouldn't a fused plug be a back up for a faulty CB or RCD?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Suni&Jay;
problem is the fuses are not to Australian standard, i here what your saying you are right. but the RCD has a trip current of 30m/a the C/B has a trip time of 30 m/sec. the UK fuse sorry to say has a trip time of 5 secs imagine if you have your hand on a faulty appliance for 5 secs you may be dead but the RCD would trip immediately.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:12 am
Life's a gamble

I understand what you are saying, all I am saying is that IF the CB or RCD failed you still have the back up of the fuse in the plug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.