Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I think you find a lot of 'non-Aussies' in IT roles because 1 in 5 people in Australia were born overseas. There simply aren't many Australian's here.
Its 1 in 4 now.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney
You're actually alluding to memory management as such and not resource freeing up. Subtle but important distinction. (I think?)

In its default implementation, GC is quite efficient in freeing up memory so you wouldn't and probably shouldn't try to do away with not using specially in the case of .net classes.

What you may want to do is use Finalize() and override this and do your clean up. (If you're wanting to clean up yourself and not wait for GC).
Yes - absolutely, I am talking about memory allocated by the runtime on the heap that would need to be freed up by the CLR - by GC..for managed code - objects...representing data. I know that this is undeterministic. That's precisely my next point (and I am sure you will agree) for mission-critical real-time apps there will I believe be a slowdown as the GC awakens and does it's stuff...

However, if your app has memory leaks and is suffering from slow response (specially after a few runs), you need to get a memory visualization and use a profiler to do this.

It will give you an idea of which .net object using how much memory and how often does a function get called.

One of the things to look out for is if you declare an event handler somewhere in your code, make sure you remove it!
This is because the GC will not collect the EH because it still is effectively 'live'.
Done all of the above....you can profile counters (the names escape me now) and the net result of the two is leaks in *managed* code...it's sort of cool to watch the way the GC kicks in every so often.... well - don't tell anyone..

In a WPF app I was removing every eventhandler in my Dispose to ensure I was cleaning up properly.

I thought I had an issue with a leak until I discovered a bug in WPF...

Anyway memory profiling is only a part of optimisation process.

About IDispose, just because the language runtime doesn't force a usage pattern on you doesn't mean it isn't important.
Can't disagree.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

What a barrel of laugh!

Here I am with around 10 years experience in .net, gained partly here in Au but mostly in UK (with Merryl Lynch, WPP, Aspen-Re) and yet I have had real trouble finding a job in C# ASPNET

Had few interviews, but the comments tend to be "Oh, he is too strong" and that's for jobs that ask for experience as team leader and dev skills!...

In my last work, the company employed many chinese personnal. These guys don't even know page lifecycles, and yet are coding in big projects!!

They just fudge and wing it! code reuse is lost on them as they copy and paste everytime a new client comes on board...
Honestly, the difference between IT standards (.net dev) in AU and UK is huge...You get quality in UK, whereas here you get cowboys!

I apologise for those who are here with proper skills, but that's exception rather than the rule!

A lot of companies mention the fact they use .net 3.5, and yet none of them use its features like the simple linq!

My rant over but trust me I am just saying what I have experienced...and maybe your experience maybe different!
Couldn't agree more. Quality .net developers are very few in AU market. most .net developers are still hooked to old practices of programming. They are not able to understand complex but performant concepts like RIA, event driven programming, Linq, Anonymous methods and callbacks and always write their code in old-school way.
Rather than doing event-driven-programming, they do Google-driven-programming (copy pasting from amateur blogs found via Google) are results in the long run are dangerous like complete overhaul of the code.

Companies lack quality interviewers who can really distinguish horses from donkeys. Find the right candidate at right price is a challenge for Australian IT market
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Find the right candidate at right price is a challenge for Australian IT market
That's because the 'right price' for Australian employers is well below market price. And they wonder why they can't find people.

Pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
That's because the 'right price' for Australian employers is well below market price. And they wonder why they can't find people.

Pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Agree with you here mate. Companies in Melbourne prefer 2 naive guys for $50k each rather than getting a senior guy for $85k. In the long run, they suffer when buggy code written by the naive guys get a drubbing from the end users, and eventually need to rewritten all over, hencing doubling the cost and drowning CSAT.

I have many such experiences in past 2 months where I saw a senior developer completely changing applications just before release date and deadlines suffering

What's worrying is that they never employ a QA consultant and a Performance test consultant. Developers code, unit test (with biases) and directly deploy, which is horrific.

Last edited by mpgrewal; Jul 23rd 2010 at 3:06 am. Reason: added detail
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

Interesting read....

Does anybody knw how is the "Networking" market in Australia? Too many people? Do Australian employers want certifications?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

After reading some of these generalisations my faith that my fellow IT colleagues think more logically than the average person is shaken...
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
After reading some of these generalisations my faith that my fellow IT colleagues think more logically than the average person is shaken...

Logically is boring and too easy...Try out of box and spatial!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scaria197
Interesting read....

Does anybody knw how is the "Networking" market in Australia? Too many people? Do Australian employers want certifications?
Networking market is saturated.

Do Australian Employers want certifications? You need a certificate to blow your nose in Australia.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:30 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

IT is a fast changing competitive field. I find the non technical skills sell best. Qualifications are a must in the market and that is with experience. At the end of the day think what your client wants and deliver that otherwise you may find yourself out of date. Its tough out there.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

Originally Posted by silver
Also in my experience if you start asking for some industry standard MS Cisco quals etc. you narrow your field excluding some great people and include some not so great ones.
totally Agree with you, i don’t have my MS exams, trying to do them before i get out there but just don’t have the time, i have missed a few jobs in the UK because of that, but i have also come across consultants who are meant to be the cream of the crop with there IT degree and MSCE, CCNA etc.... but did not have a clue what they where talking about, example was when we went to exchange 2007 in the last place i worked...this guy was meant to be the exchange guru.... i migrated all the exchange 2003 mail into Symantec vault... so new exchange is clean... his idea was.... front end exchange...backend exchange for mailbox... and ISA box for webmail....hmmm.... ok i know that’s what Microsoft say but we already have a Cisco firewall in place... he response was NO webmail won’t work like that on exchange 07, and MS says it has to be done like this... so we left it to him ...3 days later he still could not get it to work...
this was the first time working on exchange 07 but common sense took over and i fixed it in 20 mins
took out the ISA , SSL cert on my exchange front end, put the front end exchange on the DMZ, setup the switches with VLANS etc.. setup a forward on my firewall and bobs your uncle worked like a dream.... pen tested and all and it worked and passed... and this so called guru who had all the exams spent 3 days trying to fix it, probably on twice what i get paid... total joke...
funny thing was he was fired a few weeks after....my bad..

shot81
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Oh boy oh boy! I'm now sweating after reading all your posts, hehe.

I'm glad that there is a shortage of good C# .Net developers. Hopefully, I'll fall within the category of the "good ones" .....well, I feel that I do, but maybe in OZ they have a "higher" standard

OK, one question...when you say a good .Net programmer.....do you also mean that he is a PL-SQL/T-SQL guru, database design, can do front end pages, js and web design, develop enterprise web applications, tons of web and windows services, use SSIS, analyse and write specs, unit testing, sharepoint, domain driven design bla bla bla.....

I just want to know where I'd fall.....Sydney here I come!

Cheers
B1K3R
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:07 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a couple of MCTS and the ITIL certificate. I found it crosses off a couple of selection criteria if I am up against an equally experienced candidate. They say nothing about my complete skillset though. When I am employing I look at achievements, communication skills and attitude.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough we are having major problems at work finding senior Java developers [you know, the proper language not the toytown one...]. All we want is someone who has been around a while and can work on a J2EE server from scratch with a smattering of other skills if possible. [We don't want someone who been in app support for 5 years, we want someone who really can get into the nitty-gritty].

After advertising 3 times, we have found 1 person who is a brand-new immigrant. He is bloody good and a real lucky find but all the others interviewed have not been up to scratch i.e. the CV says one thing but the interview says something else. All have been corporate drones who can't pass a basic java test or have any exposure or even general interest in the fields we are interested in.

Ok it is a contract position [at the moment which could become a permie] - still no-one is biting and the coin on offer is very good.

All the lads in the office have come to the conclusion that all the experienced people are sitting tight at the moment - everyone I know in that area doesn't want to move jobs.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Funnily enough we are having major problems at work finding senior Java developers.
Good to know there are jobs on the west coast.

I'm looking to head out in the new year, I might have to dust off the Java books from Uni then.

What do you think of the IT industry in Perth in general can I ask?

I've a UK Software Engineering degree, and 6+ years UNIX admin and programming and now 5+ years Win (with T-SQL and .net, javascript etc.).

Just trying to get a feel of how long I'll be looking once I get there. (I'm actually an Aussie, and returning, no no visa issues)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.