Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:23 am
Just Joined

srashed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

I’d like to discuss with you the challenges facing IT sector in Australia such as outsourcing cloud computing and age discrimination and how do you see the IT future in Australia? I heard that, in the past few years nobody in Australia interested taking IT degrees anymore.

Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

You are already discussing alleged age discrimination here, why start a new thread to ask the same thing?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:56 am
Just Joined

srashed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tartankoala
You are already discussing alleged age discrimination here, why start a new thread to ask the same thing?
Dear "tartankoala "

You just caught Age discrimination and left others such as Outsourcing!

Also, In this thread the perspective is different, , Here we need to discuss the effects of these challenges to the Future of IT Industry.

Many people say IT in Australia going down to drain. Are you agree?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:06 am
Just Joined

miss_moss is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there are massive shortages in the technology sector here in Australia....

I don't think it has anything to do with lack of technology based degrees available or good people applying for them but more about the fact that there is a global demand for good IT people and a significant proportion of good Aussies go to Asia or Europe to progress their careers.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Which many say IT is go to drain?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:24 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by miss_moss
I think there are massive shortages in the technology sector here in Australia....
True, from what I can tell there is a real lack of people looking for low paid IT jobs.

I know of some who can't get a higher paid job though (they are based in Sydney too).
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by coolshadows
True, from what I can tell there is a real lack of people looking for low paid IT jobs.

I know of some who can't get a higher paid job though (they are based in Sydney too).
Lack of skills generally, I think, especially on the programming side of things.

I agree with the salary cap though; I think the global organisations who have offices here in Australia look at the cost of hiring here and think what they can get for their money in Asia. Which is a massive shame.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:42 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Lack of skills generally, I think, especially on the programming side of things.

I agree with the salary cap though; I think the global organisations who have offices here in Australia look at the cost of hiring here and think what they can get for their money in Asia. Which is a massive shame.
I was talking about the programming side.

Unfortunately it's a mix of low wages and a lack of understanding of the different types of IT skills out there (and how they could be applied / adapted) that limits applicants.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:47 am
Just Joined

I was talking about the programming side.

Unfortunately it's a mix of low wages and a lack of understanding of the different types of IT skills out there (and how they could be applied / adapted) that limits applicants.
agreed agreed agreed...
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srashed
I heard that, in the past few years nobody in Australia interested taking IT degrees anymore.
That's because it's all being outsourced to India.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:13 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

I don't think it has anything to do with lack of technology based degrees available or good people applying for them but more about the fact that there is a global demand for good IT people and a significant proportion of good Aussies go to Asia or Europe to progress their careers.
I don't think there are really shortages and the inability to recruit for a role is usually more to do with the hiring manager and co.

The segmentation of the IT sector and companies not recognizing peoples generic abilities is really causing issues. I have seen cases where companies cannot hire somebody to code in language X but wouldn't consider cross training somebody who can in language Y and then trying to recruit for the position for 18 months (much longer than the required time to train and become fully proficient). People who have had a really long and well recognized career but because there specific experience is not flavour of the month they cannot get roles.

I remember seeing a large company advertising in 2007 for somebody with 4 years experience in coding for the iphone. When the product hasn't existed for that long it makes it an impossible position to fill.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

I recruited a temp here in the UK for around 3 months he was from Sydney.
Nice guy, good CV but his actual IT skills sucked... this was for a 1st /2nd line support role....
On his CV he had 3 years experience working with HP and a few years with an IT support company based in Sydney doing 1st 2nd line support.
This guy did not know how to configure outlook properly, know the difference between a PST file and OST file, did not know how to setup a new AD user account, did not know not much about VPN’s,
When i asked him about that he said all the 3rd line guys would take care of that and that he only supported the users once they were up and running like resolving Outlook rules and word issues etc...
He was brought on board after we just finished a huge migration to 2003 exchange 07 ect... so there was a lot to do,1 staff down as she got fired and my Boss was going on holiday for 2 weeks, only got to see his CV and did not have time for a face to face interview. spent a few days going over stuff with him and he got his head round it and before he left he knew what the FSMO roles where how AD works and how to setup new users etc...., spoke to him a few months after he left and he got himself another little temp job from the skill he learnt while working for us....,
From what he said to me they have major skills issues there, if someone with 5 years experience in support does not know how to set up an AD account etc... there are some issues, from what he told me it’s very common, he was a bright guy, he just said that all the 3rd line guys do all that stuff!
Over here i let my 1st/2nd line guys setup new users, sort out exchange accounts etc.... while i work on AD upgrade projects and migrations.
Makes me wonder what type of job i will get out there, as i don’t have my “new MCSE” etc... just experience.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:19 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by Shot81
I recruited a temp here in the UK for around 3 months he was from Sydney.
Nice guy, good CV but his actual IT skills sucked... this was for a 1st /2nd line support role....
On his CV he had 3 years experience working with HP and a few years with an IT support company based in Sydney doing 1st 2nd line support.
This guy did not know how to configure outlook properly, know the difference between a PST file and OST file, did not know how to setup a new AD user account, did not know not much about VPN’s,
When i asked him about that he said all the 3rd line guys would take care of that and that he only supported the users once they were up and running like resolving Outlook rules and word issues etc...
He was brought on board after we just finished a huge migration to 2003 exchange 07 ect... so there was a lot to do,1 staff down as she got fired and my Boss was going on holiday for 2 weeks, only got to see his CV and did not have time for a face to face interview. spent a few days going over stuff with him and he got his head round it and before he left he knew what the FSMO roles where how AD works and how to setup new users etc...., spoke to him a few months after he left and he got himself another little temp job from the skill he learnt while working for us....,
From what he said to me they have major skills issues there, if someone with 5 years experience in support does not know how to set up an AD account etc... there are some issues, from what he told me it’s very common, he was a bright guy, he just said that all the 3rd line guys do all that stuff!
Over here i let my 1st/2nd line guys setup new users, sort out exchange accounts etc.... while i work on AD upgrade projects and migrations.
Makes me wonder what type of job i will get out there, as i don’t have my “new MCSE” etc... just experience.
Depends who you know, a personal reference trumps experience any day here.

I'd also add that a single guy cannot represent an industry. From my time in the UK I saw many people with a wide range of skills - not always matching up with their CV either. (I won't mention the 'experienced' IT manager who asked me where to find an email so he could send something off - oops just did)

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 22nd 2010 at 10:22 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

I won't mention the 'experienced' IT manager who asked me where to find an email so he could send something off - oops just did)

hahahahaha Yeah i know what you mean, Kinda in that postion at the moment...
im like..we need to replace this, this and this along with this while the office is not busy.... IT Manager- no we cant do that they will think we are wasting money... lets wait till its busy again! ...... got 5 people who came back into the office today to crappy PC's which are about 8 years old and run like an old dog.....Arrrgggggggggg I cant stand it but just hanging in till i get my visa in a few weeks and then i will give my notice in and and off in mid sept, cant wait!
looking forward to a new challange new job ..new life
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:36 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by Shot81
hahahahaha Yeah i know what you mean, Kinda in that postion at the moment...
im like..we need to replace this, this and this along with this while the office is not busy.... IT Manager- no we cant do that they will think we are wasting money... lets wait till its busy again! ...... got 5 people who came back into the office today to crappy PC's which are about 8 years old and run like an old dog.....Arrrgggggggggg I cant stand it but just hanging in till i get my visa in a few weeks and then i will give my notice in and and off in mid sept, cant wait!
looking forward to a new challange new job ..new life
There are dumb IT people everywhere. Finding a great place to work can make a huge difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.