Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Certification in IT

Certification in IT

Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

sandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant future
Default Certification in IT

Hi,
It seems that you need to have an "Australian Certificate" for most of the trades to be eligible to get a job.

Please let me know if I may need any specific certification in IT for me to be eligible to start looking for a job.

I have completed my Certification from Siebel (CRM) and Project Management (PMP) both in USA.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Re: Certification in IT

unlike trades such as plumbing, electrical, plastering etc, most IT qualifications are recognised worldwide, such as CompTia, Microsoft, Sun etc it may be worth having a look on seek.com.au to see what they are asking for in the way of qualifications.

I dont think you wil have a problem though.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

sandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant futuresandeep0909 has a brilliant future

That's a relief. Thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by sandeep0909
That's a relief. Thanks
You certainly do not need certificates to get a job in IT over here. In my experience, most prospective employers will look at your background etc etc. I'm an IT manager and haven't got one single certificate.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:24 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

city n guilds btecs are not reconised over here have to re sit aussie ones

but most others are like msce and all microsoft ones but some of the employers take expriance into account

dont need to be licenced its kida hard to compeate with little chinese pc shops they work for next to nothing
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Hi,
It seems that you need to have an "Australian Certificate" for most of the trades to be eligible to get a job.

Please let me know if I may need any specific certification in IT for me to be eligible to start looking for a job.

I have completed my Certification from Siebel (CRM) and Project Management (PMP) both in USA.
Hi Sandeep,

I'm a PMP and other such stuff.

I'm going out for good shortly (Brisbane) and have been out on a few occaisions over the past two years.

As others have indicated, PM quals are pretty much recognised in Aus as the UK. (Prince, PMP, MSP, ITIL, that sort of thing) You'll be fine.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:40 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Right now PMs are in demand so you should be fine. The certs set you apart when times are not so good. Good luck but right now experience is what counts.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:58 am
Just Joined

itaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant futureitaus has a brilliant future

The only time we ever ask for any kind of certificates is when recruiting graduate programmers/developers and would ask to sight there uni results but as for PM's etc we rely on background and experience and have never asked for any certificates etc.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all. That sounds very encouraging. I am tempted to ask another question though..
I have been managing CRM programs for more than 5 years now..Although I follow the general project and program management style, does this stereotype me and restrict me to a specific technology(CRM). Also will it is acceptable by the Australian industry to provide me PM jobs in unrelated technology e.g SAP
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

well it all depends on your resume, if you have Siebel CRM every third word , then the pimps (thats's the recruitment agents) will think..... doh.............Siebel CRM Chap because they don't know any better.

I guess you are currently stateside ?, so I can't comment on the recruitment consultancies there, but the UK and Oz ones are very similar.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks and point taken. I will definitely relook at my resume. But this is a catch 22 situation. The fact is I have been working in CRM (Siebel) area for last 8 years and doing program manangement in that area. However the program management is very similar in other application development area as well. so kinda confused here
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

shaakq is an unknown quantity at this point

on another note

i am an ORACLE DBA with 11yrs of USA experience and looking for a job... so far havent had much response from seek.com.au... thats the only site i have posted my resume on and applied for the postings their... any other recommendations on how to search IT jobs... i am a PR visa holder...thanks
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:30 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shaakq
on another note

i am an ORACLE DBA with 11yrs of USA experience and looking for a job... so far havent had much response from seek.com.au... thats the only site i have posted my resume on and applied for the postings their... any other recommendations on how to search IT jobs... i am a PR visa holder...thanks
Have you followed up your applications with a phone call to the agencies? Getting some local experience and a local reference will open up a lot more doors.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

treefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nice

Originally Posted by shaakq
on another note

I registed my CV on seek thinking that agencies would just cold call like they did in the UK. Doesn't seem to be the case over here, I then started applying for jobs then following up with a phone call & I got more interviews then I could handle. Job market is very good out here, I ended up getting paid more here (melbourne) then I could have go back in London.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

I did exactly the same, by calling the recruiters after reading your experience. However my experience is different. The recruiters doesn't seem to be very interested since I am in India. Also what they said was the jobs like project Manager and program manager in IT were too generic and hence I need to be in Australia to take the opportunity.
Another thing they asked me was when Can I join, to which I answered 8 weeks which kinda put them off (I think). But the fact is I am in a very senior Position here so I just can't abandon the company just like that. I need to exit gracefully. What they said was If I had some niche skills then probably there is some chance. BTW as I am in Siebel which is very Niche market, I can use that skill as well. Only thing I have to take a step backwards to enter to the technical domain once again (Which ofcourse I am very comfortable doing).
Time to rethink and relook at my resume...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.