Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Centrelink what a joke

Centrelink what a joke

Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Centrelink what a joke

well pis**d off. Went into Centre Link this afternoon for a little advice from them. It reminded me of being in an English Job Centre.
They all look down their nose's at you and have a "so what" atitude. :curse:
When i asked to become fully job network eligable (as told to do by jobs statewide) the women basicaly said and i quote " well you were means tested before you came here as part of your visa process to confirm that you could last 2 years without benefits weren't you".
"Well actualy we weren't, and i only want some one to look at my resume to make sure it's ok for the Australian job market", was my reply.
Her reply, "well you'll have to go back to jobs statewide and ask them" I'd already been in there and they told me to go to centre link. :curse:
Complete waste of time.
My nextdoor neighbour is a manager in that office so i might go and have a chat with her, i may even put in a complaint against the cow i spoke to earlier.
Right, rant over. Sorry everyone but i needed to get that of my chest.
Deep breathe, right going to carry on submitting resumes on line.
Jackie
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Centrelink what a joke

Originally Posted by jwood
well pis**d off. Went into Centre Link this afternoon for a little advice from them. It reminded me of being in an English Job Centre.
When i asked to become fully job network eligable (as told to do by jobs statewide) the women basicaly said and i quote " well you were means tested before you came here as part of your visa process to confirm that you could last 2 years without benefits weren't you".
"Well actualy we weren't, and i only want some one to look at my resume to make sure it's ok for the Australian job market", was my reply.
Her reply, "well you'll have to go back to jobs statewide and ask them" I'd already been in there and they told me to go to centre link. :curse:
Complete waste of time.
My nextdoor neighbour is a manager in that office so i might go and have a chat with her, i may even put in a complaint against the cow i spoke to earlier.
Right, rant over. Sorry everyone but i needed to get that of my chest.
Deep breathe, right going to carry on submitting resumes on line.
Jackie
God I hate when that happens:curse:!!! The left arm not knowing what the right arm is doing. I would have a chat with your neighbour who will hopefully be able to check out your CV for you.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's a case of the left arm not knowing what the right arms doing, more a case of well you're English, it's nearly lunch time and i can't be arsed.
I will be speaking to my neighbour when she gets in.
It's just so frustrating
i also asked what happens when our savings run out?
got a sort of Tough sh*t look of her.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

i also asked what happens when our savings run out?
got a sort of Tough sh*t look of her.
I can see where they are coming from in regards to this. It's made blatantly clear in the visa application that you are on your own for the first 2 years.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Send me your CV and I'll take a look at it for you.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:26 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

your not entitled to benefits for the first two years...but surely to goodness you can be put on the job network system
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Which office did you go to? I had that problem when I went to the one in the City, but the staff in Salisbury were a lot more friendly - although I would imagine that's the one you went to?

Best thing to do is report the member of staff, she is obviously not very customer friendly so shouldn't be in that job!.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Adelaide we went to the one in Glengel, & they were so helpful.
ok we couldnt get any jobs for my OH, but they were so helpful, I'm so surprise they spoke to you like that.
I'll go back to the same office & ask to see a manager, she shouldnt spoke to you like that, regardless of you having the money to look after your means or not.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
your not entitled to benefits for the first two years...but surely to goodness you can be put on the job network system
apparently not, we had exactly the same when we rocked up to the centrelink office in Perth.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=jwood;6186783]well pis**d off. Went into Centre Link this afternoon for a little advice from them. It reminded me of being in an English Job Centre.

Sorry you had a bad experiance.............but the staff at the job centre do not look down their noses! I worked there for over 2 years, and never looked down my nose at anyone.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=jwood;6186783]well pis**d off. Went into Centre Link this afternoon for a little advice from them. It reminded me of being in an English Job Centre.

What a very flippant comment I work in a job centre in Northern Ireland and I must say, we are a right friendly bunch We certainly don't look down our noses at anyone either, we're just here to help people gets jobs. We are no better or no worse than those sitting on the other side of the desk.

Lynn xx
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Do centerlink find you jobs, thought all that had been contracted out to job seeking agencies like Cadet, seek, jobnetwork etc.

See on the news last night australia is targetting people who are not declaring income to centerlink, ATO etc but have money in UK bank accounts, trusts, business etc.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne via Belfast, Adelaide on 10th Sept!!
Rach25 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Do centerlink find you jobs, thought all that had been contracted out to job seeking agencies like Cadet, seek, jobnetwork etc.

See on the news last night australia is targetting people who are not declaring income to centerlink, ATO etc but have money in UK bank accounts, trusts, business etc.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience but you're not alone. I think it really depends on the person you speak to. A few years ago my Aussie hubbie had similiar awful treatment from an English Centrelink employee in Colonnades (Noarlunga, Adelaide). From what I remember the staff at the Marion branch were more helpful.
Ask around about employment agencies, there are some great ones in the city (sorry can't remember names) And get friendly with as many people as possible, often in Adelaide it's not what you know but who you know!!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:40 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

My nextdoor neighbour is a manager in that office so i might go and have a chat with her, i may even put in a complaint against the cow i spoke to earlier.Jackie
It is awful when someone makes you feel that bad but please don't go and talk to your neighbour.

Many years ago I worked for British Rail and I remember one guy banging on my door at the weekend complaining about treatment that he had received - wrong train times/tickets or something like that.

I clearly remember being exceedingly angry - as was my husband that he thought that he could knock on my door and have a valid complaint, as though it was part of the complaints system to consult me on my day off.

This has also happened when I worked as a veterinary nurse, I had someone complain about the prices of taking her cat to the vet I was working at.

Seriously, when someone leaves work for the day they do just that, they clock off to go home and not offer an out of hours service to neighbours.

By knocking on her door and having a friendly/polite word you may well get her back up because she could feel that her privacy and space is being invaded.

Start the complaint by going throught he official channels, and keep your neighbour as a just that, a neighbour.

Even if it is her that deals with your complaint, by keeping the two completely apart, by keeping it official and polite, you stand a good chance of getting further than you would by knocking on your neighbours door.

It is hard trying to do a good CV, I was turned down for a job today for being 'over qualified' - whether or not that means I am crap or my CV is crap I don't know, but I might ask my agency on how they feel my resume could be improved.

Might be worth chatting to an agency to get their opinion on what would work and what wouldn't.

Good luck with everything.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:00 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Why compare to England. This is the other side of the world from there ?
2) Why did you think it would be any different anyway ?

Once you have been here more than a year you will be better adjusted to life in Oz and this stuff won't bother you so much any more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.