Central coast

Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Was Reading Berks. Now Palm Beach (summer bay), Sydney NSW
Ady Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really nice
Default Central coast

Hi all.
Read with interest the recent postings on the central coast. Can anyone who has moved to the central coast give me an honest opinion.I am a skilled coach-builder, could digress to welding,sheet metal work, fabrication,etc. What are the chances of getting work in this field on the central coast or is commuting to Sydney/ Newcastle a viable proposition.

Having looked at property prices in Sydney I feel this may be the place to head for with nice sized houses around the $350-$400,000 price range. Are there any other areas that anyone thinks worth considering.

Good schools for primary school age are essential as we have 2 young girls to consider. Anyone got any opinions on schools in the area,I have looked at a couple of schools web- sites but know from experience here you can make terrible schools sound great.

Another thing that I would be interested to know is are there clubs, activities for the children. Here at the moment they both do swimming lessons, the oldest one gymnastics and the youngest ballet. Are these activities available locally.

Please be honest in your replies and don't worry about bursting my bubble,it's the diverse opinions that make this site so addictive.

Look forward to reading your replies,
Thanks in anticipation,
Ady

ps Good luck to all of you fellow pre-July applicants and of course post-July.
Waiting for med requests applied April 13th will keep you all posted as to any progress, anyone else heard anything?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:08 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Central coast

All I will do is provide a number of websites, promise to keep Mum

www.businesscc.com.au - excellent start point for all things Coastie, pointers & links for everything

www.staffforce.com.au - a good agency for advice on employment

Real Estate

http://www.century21.com.au/gosford/

http://www.ljhooker.com.au/agent/age...=nsw&region=16

http://www.raineandhorne.com.au/inde...ts&aid=2250001

Go to the Members page of Chamber for local business websites

www.gosfordchamber.com.au

I don't have wee ones so cannot comment on Schools or after activities

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:14 pm
Merlot

And there's more . . .

For sport

http://www.thinksport.com.au/

Councils

http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/default.htm

http://www.wyong.nsw.gov.au/

M

Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:21 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ady Whit
Hi all.
Read with interest the recent postings on the central coast. Can anyone who has moved to the central coast give me an honest opinion.I am a skilled coach-builder, could digress to welding,sheet metal work, fabrication,etc. What are the chances of getting work in this field on the central coast or is commuting to Sydney/ Newcastle a viable proposition.

Having looked at property prices in Sydney I feel this may be the place to head for with nice sized houses around the $350-$400,000 price range. Are there any other areas that anyone thinks worth considering.

Good schools for primary school age are essential as we have 2 young girls to consider. Anyone got any opinions on schools in the area,I have looked at a couple of schools web- sites but know from experience here you can make terrible schools sound great.

Another thing that I would be interested to know is are there clubs, activities for the children. Here at the moment they both do swimming lessons, the oldest one gymnastics and the youngest ballet. Are these activities available locally.

Please be honest in your replies and don't worry about bursting my bubble,it's the diverse opinions that make this site so addictive.

Look forward to reading your replies,
Thanks in anticipation,
Ady

ps Good luck to all of you fellow pre-July applicants and of course post-July.
Waiting for med requests applied April 13th will keep you all posted as to any progress, anyone else heard anything?
Hi There

I was the one who started the post on the Central Coast last week and thing I could give a fair view of Central Coast. We think its beautiful and definately a lot cheaper that Sydney! Our kids 15 and 11 didnt want to come to Aus at all but they now think its great. As long as you dont look at everything thru rose tinted glasses you could be fine. We live at Terrigal which is a little more expensive than if you lived 20 mins inland from here. Avoid Woy Woy, Umina, Ettalong and dont rate Gosford much either. Erina, Erina Heights, Wamberal, Terrigal, Kincumber, Avoca, North Avoca are all great!

As for the kids Swimming at pools is abundant, in the sea is safe. Gymnastic clubs and dance clubs are everywhere. lots of parks too. We happen to think there is more going on for the kids here than there was down in the suburbs of Sydney.

There is great shopping for the missus. There are lots of industrial areas around CC and it is being very heavily developed at the mo. Most people commute to Sydney or Newcastle from Gosford and it takes about an hour each way (some people even commute to Sydney from Newcastle and Port Stephens.

The only thing you can do is give it a look when you get here. Thats the only way, although we found out quite a lot from the internet before we arrived. Look on some of the real estate web sites like Domian.com.au or LJHooker.com etc and Central Coast tourist web sites too.

Good luck with your endeavour. Keep in Touch

Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:29 pm
Merlot

My only recommendation is read up as much as you can, ask lots of questions on here and of course rent intially to get a real feel for the place, settle with work, etc.

My biggest hate and I only lasted a week before I was lucky enough to get a perm job on the Coast was commuting to Sydney. I was going as far as Hornsby (1 hour train ride) and that was enough for me. Some people love commuting.

Hubby drove to Mount Kuring-Gai each day, traffic varied but hard going in bush fire season, has been stuck a few times.

I think with kids it is great spot, for us kidless 30 somethings we found it a little stark and not much to do, we travelled to Sydney a lot to the theatre, dinner, etc.

Did make the best of friends there though.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

poolman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Central coast

Originally Posted by Merlot
My only recommendation is read up as much as you can, ask lots of questions on here and of course rent intially to get a real feel for the place, settle with work, etc.

My biggest hate and I only lasted a week before I was lucky enough to get a perm job on the Coast was commuting to Sydney. I was going as far as Hornsby (1 hour train ride) and that was enough for me. Some people love commuting.

Hubby drove to Mount Kuring-Gai each day, traffic varied but hard going in bush fire season, has been stuck a few times.

I think with kids it is great spot, for us kidless 30 somethings we found it a little stark and not much to do, we travelled to Sydney a lot to the theatre, dinner, etc.

Did make the best of friends there though.

Best of luck
Merlot
Hi Merlot
I have been fortunate to have been offered permanent employment at the Central Coast and South Brisbane. Now in a dilemma as to which one to accept.
I see from your previous post that you spent a number of years living in the Central Coast area. If you had the choice would you return to the Central Coast or go to Brisbane, and why?
Thanks
Poolman
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:51 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by poolman
Hi Merlot
I have been fortunate to have been offered permanent employment at the Central Coast and South Brisbane. Now in a dilemma as to which one to accept.
I see from your previous post that you spent a number of years living in the Central Coast area. If you had the choice would you return to the Central Coast or go to Brisbane, and why?
Thanks
Poolman
Hi poolman

I can't really comment on South Brisbane as I have never lived or worked there (usually flew over it en-route elsewhere), maybe it is worth asking that question separately.

As for moving back, S. brisbane could be an option after weighing up factors as we do want to move further north for a new set of challenges, we just need to ask ourselves at the time what we want.

I personally would not go back to the Coast, others love it and would never move. As I said no kids, not a huge fan of the outdoor life in as far as sitting on a beach all day or water activities. I was bored but that is my view as I said. I also did not feel safe as I do here - that is my perception.

The Coast was lovely but felt it for me as being very insular if not incestous to point but a lot of my job at the time was dealing with local Council and Government LOL

If you can go see both, you can only then make your own judgements.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Was Reading Berks. Now Palm Beach (summer bay), Sydney NSW
Ady Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really nice

Thanks all for the info, especially Merlot thanks for the links, most helpful.
Anyone with any more thoughts ,info much appreciated!
Thanks again,
Ady