Centerlink

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:36 am
Just Joined

mechanical430 will become famous soon enough
Default Centerlink

Hi All,

Could you tell me what Centerlink exactly do? I'm a new migrant and I heard they provide assistance in finding out job as well. Today, I called Centerlink and they told me they only pay the unemployed guys and dont assist migrants in finding job. Is that right?

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centerlink

Originally Posted by mechanical430
Hi All,

Could you tell me what Centerlink exactly do? I'm a new migrant and I heard they provide assistance in finding out job as well. Today, I called Centerlink and they told me they only pay the unemployed guys and dont assist migrants in finding job. Is that right?

Thanks
Sounds about right to me.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:05 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks
that is right,you will find these guys far more helpfull than their counterparts in the uk
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:16 am
Just Joined

mechanical430 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Catch
that is right,you will find these guys far more helpfull than their counterparts in the uk
Ok So I should look for private agencies to search for job instead of relying any govt body?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok So I should look for private agencies to search for job instead of relying any govt body?
You should rely on yourself to find a job. Agencies can help, but it's up to you to find your own work. Look on the internet, send resumes out, phone companies in your field of work.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Everywhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks
, a bit confused that a new migrant who has no job is not an unemployed guy?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Everywhere
, a bit confused that a new migrant who has no job is not an unemployed guy?
You are unemployed but will not be entitled to an unemployment benefit for at least 2 years. It doesn't work the same way as in the UK, where "new migrants" can apply for the dole from day 1. You are suppose to arrive with enough money to be able to support yourself.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Everywhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smartinis
You are unemployed but will not be entitled to an unemployment benefit for at least 2 years. It doesn't work the same way as in the UK, where "new migrants" can apply for the dole from day 1. You are suppose to arrive with enough money to be able to support yourself.
Mm, understand now. Thank you, your explanation is very clear.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:59 am
ABCDiamond

You are unemployed but will not be entitled to an unemployment benefit for at least 2 years.
Correct.

Also, Centrelink sometimes refers people to Government sponsored Job Agencies, but these agencies only help people who are able to claim unemployment benefits. They do not help people that are unable to claim unemployment benefit, whether new migrants or not.

A new Migrant MUST have ways to support themselves for the first two years, whether by savings or finding work. And the government does NOT assist with finding that work.

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Although you can register for a job seekers id with centrelink. This entitles you to apply for jobs which say " job seeker ID preferred'....not sure of criteria, but some Centrelink people are not overly helpful. Took H a while to find out about this and the registration lasts only 3 months.

It does nothing beyond identifying you have registered your interest to work with Centrelink. Some govt appointed job seeker agencies (esp on JobSearch.com.au) demand this number.....no idea why- perhaps the employer gets some incentive?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pomster
Some govt appointed job seeker agencies (esp on JobSearch.com.au) demand this number.....no idea why- perhaps the employer gets some incentive?
It's the 'govt appointed job seeker agencies' that get the incentive. They get paid, by the government, for each person they help. Take a look at Mrs Rudd's old business... Made her fortune out of the job seekers in Australia.

Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Angry Re: Centerlink

Although i wish this was the case i know lots of ex pats who have applied and got things like rent assist etc knowing full well they have 1000s in bank accounts in the uk waiting to send over. All scroungers should stay well away from Aus in my opinion
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
Although i wish this was the case i know lots of ex pats who have applied and got things like rent assist etc knowing full well they have 1000s in bank accounts in the uk waiting to send over. All scroungers should stay well away from Aus in my opinion
Some Centrelink payments are not subject to the 2 year waiting period. However, if there is an asset test, and someone works around this by not declaring foreign assets (barring a specific exemption) then that is fraudulent and illegal.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 4:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
Why just Aus? Wouldn't it be better not to be a scrounger anywhere?
And as JAJ says, not declaring foreign assets is fraudulent.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Some Centrelink payments are not subject to the 2 year waiting period. However, if there is an asset test, and someone works around this by not declaring foreign assets (barring a specific exemption) then that is fraudulent and illegal.
Though I don't think the family payments/rent assistance do have asset tests anyway. Would only be relevant if they had very significant savings that would earn enough interest to send them over the income test limits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.