Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Census - Did you take your fridge and or freezer from UK and is it still working?

Census - Did you take your fridge and or freezer from UK and is it still working?

Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Census - Did you take your fridge and or freezer from UK and is it still working?

Yes or No is great thanks, been researching on BE and some people saying don't bring them because they will pack in with the heat compared to UK!

If you took yours and it's fine please show a for Yes (and how long since your brought it to oz)

If yours has melted in the hot aussie temps please give a (how long did it take to pack in?)

Helps us know if worth breaking back lifting into container!

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Census - Did you take your fridge and or freezer from UK and is it still working?

Dear MODS,

sorry I've put this on immigration by mistake can you please move!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Census - Did you take your fridge and or freezer from UK and is it still working?

Originally Posted by MrCro
Dear MODS,

sorry I've put this on immigration by mistake can you please move!

(didn't bring a fridge though, sorry!!)
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes or No is great thanks, been researching on BE and some people saying don't bring them because they will pack in with the heat compared to UK!

If you took yours and it's fine please show a for Yes (and how long since your brought it to oz)

If yours has melted in the hot aussie temps please give a (how long did it take to pack in?)

Thanks!
We were advised by our removalists that we could not take our fridge because of the gases.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Barnsley to Uxbridge to Southampton and eventually to Iluka....
Gert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really nice

Thanks!
We brought our big American Fridge Freezer. It was five years old and the motor packed up after six months here. I thought it was only the older ones that you couldn't bring because of the gases.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

No, but I wish we had. Replacement cost was high compared to UK prices and given the exchange rate movements, would probably be worse now.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Yep! Ours wasn't new new but it was decent enough, we used it as our main fridge freezer till about 4 months ago, when we bought a bigger one (American size). We now use our UK one as an overflow beer fridge.

I'd say bring it and it can always be your second fridge, a lot of newer houses have spaces for fridge/freezers and the gap is much bigger than the standard 600mm in the UK.

Oh and we've been here 18 months
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we have only been here since april but we did bring our big american style fridge freezer with us. We had to buy another one anyway to keep us going but we now have the hugest beer fridge in the garage
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

we have double Samsung american type fridge/freezer, too good to leave and only 13 months old so gases should not be an issue!? (hadn't thought about that)

Have checked and same fridges sold in oz so spares shouldn't be an issue

some fool did try trll me other day wouldn't work in oz as they are on 110v! Think he's getting his bearings wrong and thinking of USA! and he sold fridges etc!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:44 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our nearly new LG Fridge/Freezer with us, we have been here almost 4 years now, and had some very hot weather in that time, and it is still working beautifully. Have had to have a new washer and dishwasher in that time though
Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Brought 3 and they are all still working, although we gave one away to a friend.
The 'Aussie conditions are too harsh for UK fridges' story is a BE urban myth and is not true. One of our fridges is in the garage which can get very hot and it handles it no problem.

Bring your fridge and freezer.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:05 am
ABCDiamond

Most of the Fridges and Freezers in Australia have a classification rating, based on the ambient temperature that they are designed to operate in.

My N rated one was fine in Sydney but died in QLD.
My T rated one works fine.

What temperature is your one rated to ?

Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
We bought a samsung american style fridge freezer while we lived in Germany knowing we would be moving to oz eventually, we moved back to the UK and it was fine and it has just arrived in Australia and is working fine. I phoned our local samsung service department and i can get new filters from them just got to take the old one so they give me the right one or order the right one for me. They also said i could get spare parts for it and they would be happy to fit them as well.

I have had no problem with my 'baby' and its ice and water chiller is a god send in Darwin
Mandy
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:14 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, but only as they were built into kitchen units or we would've.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:58 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we brought ours, it was about 18months old and a double door fridge/freezer.

It coped fine with 2 years in Qld and its coped so far with the 9 months we've been in NSW.

We did buy an Australian one to do us until ours arrived from the UK, but that is now out on the deck filled with beer and ice cream

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.