Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Catholic Schools

Catholic Schools

Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

trisha100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Catholic Schools

Any recommendations on good catholic schools in Melbourne -this may govern where we end up living in Melbourne. trying to decide on suburbs as well.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catholic Schools

http://www.ceo.melb.catholic.edu.au/

see 'schools', 'directory' on LHS menu.

VCE results here. http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/stati...ats/index.html

Catholic schools usually $3-4k a year. We are sending our son to the local gov't school as it scores better than the local catholic school.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2006, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

I would be interested in any links anyone has to Catholic schools around Perth, especially near the Carramar area.
Tracie
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:06 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Catholic Schools

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
I would be interested in any links anyone has to Catholic schools around Perth, especially near the Carramar area.
Tracie
There are none in Carramar, as far as I know - but plenty in the nearby suburbs.

Try Currambine Catholic Primary School (Currambine), Irene McCormack College (Butler), Mater Dei College (Edgewater), Prendiville Catholic College (Ocean Reef), St Andrew's Catholic College (Clarkson), and St Simon Peter Catholic Primary School (Ocean Reef.)

Most of these schools are less than 15km from Carramar - so if you do end up living there, you won't be much more than about 20 minutes from the nearest Catholic college.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

trisha100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ebo1608
http://www.ceo.melb.catholic.edu.au/

see 'schools', 'directory' on LHS menu.

VCE results here. http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/stati...ats/index.html

Catholic schools usually $3-4k a year. We are sending our son to the local gov't school as it scores better than the local catholic school.

Ian

Ian , thanks so much for those links , you've been helpfull. I'll get cracking on with those.

Trisha
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Vash I'll have a look now
Tracie
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
There are none in Carramar, as far as I know - but plenty in the nearby suburbs.

Try Currambine Catholic Primary School (Currambine), Irene McCormack College (Butler), Mater Dei College (Edgewater), Prendiville Catholic College (Ocean Reef), St Andrew's Catholic College (Clarkson), and St Simon Peter Catholic Primary School (Ocean Reef.)

Most of these schools are less than 15km from Carramar - so if you do end up living there, you won't be much more than about 20 minutes from the nearest Catholic college.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:18 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Any good Proddy Schools ??

Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:19 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Cheers Vash I'll have a look now
Tracie
You're welcome.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Catholic Schools

Originally Posted by Bordy
Any good Proddy Schools ??

I think the Catholic kids burned them all down...

Click here for the Anglican schools.

Guildford Grammar is arguably the best.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:34 pm
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute

Great link Vash, cheers. Thanks Ian for that PDF. I've been looking for that information for months!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by baglady
Great link Vash, cheers.
You're very welcome!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

For those yet to arrive.

In Melbourne, Catty schools about $3-4k a year compare with Independents at usually $15k pa, there are usually scholarships at half-price. Very few offer fee-free scholarships.

There are Proddy Church schools with fees less than $15k, usually $3-8k.

All the schools have a website so do a Google.

My analysis showed me that the best academic schools are less than 5km from CBD. Unless your kids are happy to travel to inner Melbourne I saw no point in putting my kids through a local private school as the difference in results did not warrant it. Like everywhere, nicer areas have nicer schools.

Before anybody puts the boots in on my less than PC statement I went to one of the roughest schools in the seaside town of Birkenhead and had far from a perfect education, academic, that is.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2006, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trisha100
Any recommendations on good catholic schools in Melbourne -this may govern where we end up living in Melbourne. trying to decide on suburbs as well.
Hi Trisha,

Not having children of my own, I have no experiences with the school here in sunny(!) Melbourne. I put your question to some friends of mine who work in education in Melbourne (and who are also Catholic).

Most of the points that they made have already been covered by Ian's replies. They said that all church schools are fee-paying, so this is something that you will want to bear in mind. I believe that the fees vary from school to school and that the quality will vary with the price. The advice they gave was to work backwards and look at Catholic secondary schools first as many of these will only accept intakes from certain primary schools and to base your decision on that.

You can find a directory of Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Melbourne here .

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to pass them on for you, but I'm sorry that I cannot give you a more specific recommendation.

Best regards;

--paj
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:10 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Presyterian Ladies College has the highest entry to University rate for all schools across Vic

Girls must be smarter than boys