Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Meet and Greet

Cathay Pacific Meet and Greet

Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice
Default Cathay Pacific Meet and Greet

A quick question, has anyone ever used the Cathay Pacific Meet and Greet Service for Children?

My kids are travelling to the UK and back in July and I have spoken to Cathay and they have said I can book the Meet and Greet free of Charge.

They will be 17 and 14 so they don't need full unaccompanied but they will take them from checkin to the plane, take them between planes in HK and take them through to customs at each end.

Sounds just right but wondered if anyone else has used the service?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:42 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cathay Pacific Meet and Greet

At 17 cant they manage by themselves?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

It is their first time alone and there is a change of plane in HK otherwise I would not do this.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:04 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Changing planes in HK is not rocket science. How much are Cathay going to charge for the handholding and how long is the transit stop?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Changing planes in HK is not rocket science. How much are Cathay going to charge for the handholding and how long is the transit stop?
The OP has already stated they've offered the meet and greet free of charge. I would imagine even at 17 it would be daunting to do it on your own, especially with a 14 year old in tow.

I haven't used the service but it sounds good in principle. In Hong Kong it depends how close the gates are, some I think are a short trip on a monorail so could get quite confusing I guess.

For what it's worth, I was brought up in Hong Kong, am EXTREMELY well travelled but I still nearly boarded my family on a flight for Jo'burg in Hong Kong last time I was there, as the queues for both flights became muddled . It can be confusing and I don't blame you for wanting extra peace of mind!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by itigo
The OP has already stated they've offered the meet and greet free of charge. I would imagine even at 17 it would be daunting to do it on your own, especially with a 14 year old in tow. ...
Sorry - I should learn to read! Well hey - if its free then why not? The only possible disadvantage is that the meet & greeters might slow you down and restrict the amount of time you could spent perusing the shops as they enforce overly cautious timing in terms of 'get to the gate on time'. All things considered thats not much of a downside really...
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:11 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter flew Cathay and we used the unaccompanied child service. I think she was 13/14 or so at the time. I was a little disapointed in Hong Kong as she was let off the plane and told to come back in a few hours when she heard an annoucement. I had been used to better service from other airlines where there are separate rooms for the children and other services.

With a 17 year old supervising the younger child this possibly will not bother you as much.

I never underestimate the need for certain support at airports. I am a world traveller and know how bad it can be when things go wrong and you are caught between flights or have them cancelled, the extra support is very needed. Even for the straight forward trips it never hurts to have help.

Daughter flew at 17 straight down to Adelaide from Sydney to join me for a weekend. Flight was turned back because it was not going to meet curfew in Adelaide. They spent the night in Canberra and had a few hours in a hotel. It was a nightmare trying to arrange with Qantas extra support and a wake up service for her (she is severely deaf). In the end another woman passenger contacted me saying Briony was in a lot of distress because she did not understand the annoucements and she would be taking care of her. Even getting the hotel to let her into my daughers room the next day to wake her up. Qantas stepped up the next flight and gave her some great service but at the time I was very upset.

Use the serive - better to have too much help than not enough
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - I should learn to read! Well hey - if its free then why not? The only possible disadvantage is that the meet & greeters might slow you down and restrict the amount of time you could spent perusing the shops as they enforce overly cautious timing in terms of 'get to the gate on time'. All things considered thats not much of a downside really...
Which is what you want for unaccompanied kids. I'd rather my girls were bored for an hour or so sitting by the gate rather than wandering around airport shops on their own.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

I am more than happy with boredom at the gate as HK is huge and though the 17yo may not be happy missing the shops, if someone is going to take them between flights (and its free!!) then this sounds like a good one.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great thing. If it's available and free, then I say take advantage. It's worth it for the peace of mind knowing that someone's looking out for your kids.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not a seasoned traveller and if its your fist time, especially at a young age, then it can be really daunting. I remember my first overseas trip on my own at 23 - I was petrified.