Reload this Page >

Catch 22 Please Help

Catch 22 Please Help

Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:01 pm
Just Startin'

scotpandj is on a distinguished road
Question Catch 22 Please Help

Hi Guys

I am looking for some advice on finding work in Australia.I am a joiner to trade but dont quite have enough points to gain a skilled visa.I was told I could apply for a temporary work visa if I had a job to go to and an employer to sponsor me.
How do you go about finding a job from this country (UK)
I have also read on web sites that employers prefer you to have the "right to work" to apply for jobs but how can you get this when the temp visa depends on a job.
Can anyone help

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:11 pm
mickj

Default Re: Catch 22 Please Help

Go online, checkout employers in your field, and also contact a few agenicies, that might be able to sign you up online, get you a job, and the employer takes it from there, if they are is desparate need for that service of course !

Good luck on this one.

Originally posted by scotpandj
Hi Guys

I am looking for some advice on finding work in Australia.I am a joiner to trade but dont quite have enough points to gain a skilled visa.I was told I could apply for a temporary work visa if I had a job to go to and an employer to sponsor me.
I have also read on web sites that employers prefer you to have the "right to work" to apply for jobs but how can you get this when the temp visa depends on a job.
Can anyone help

Thanks

Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Can anyone help

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Have you looked into STNI.

South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania are the only states that participate and I'm a joiner is on their skills in demand list. For STNI you only need 70 points.

I'm sure other Joiners on this site will be willing to shed a bit more light on this.

Gravyman
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:15 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

not to long to go before the new SIR visa is in place - could be an alternative
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Gravyman
Hi and welcome.

Have you looked into STNI.

South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania are the only states that participate and I'm a joiner is on their skills in demand list. For STNI you only need 70 points.

I'm sure other Joiners on this site will be willing to shed a bit more light on this.

Gravyman
hiya

Gravyman's right about the stni route only needing 70 points but joinery isnt on South Australia demand list as yet was told its due to be updated end june beg july and i know you need qualifications for Victoria i think with Tasmania you need 12 months experience not 100% sure on that tho.

have you looked at the web sites for these area's as they have a lot of info .

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/lifestyle/stni.html

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit...te_nav_id=2938

i dont have the victoria one but im sure someone will put it in

hope this helps
Debs xxxxxx
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You could also investigate employer nominated migration:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/employers/index.htm

As a tradesman you're likely to find a TRA skill assessment useful even for this type of visa.

Some people do go to Australia on a temporary visa (457) sponsored by an employer but if you do:

- be aware of the restrictions and disadvantages compared to PR
- have a plan in place to get PR
- be prepared to accept the risk of having to go home eventually if the plan to get PR doesn't work out.

If you work in a skilled occupation for 6 months in Australia before applying to DIMIA, you normally get 5 bonus points. However you can't claim these at the same time as capital investment or community language points.

Have you investigated claiming spouse skill points, or the STNI options offered by Victoria or Tasmania?

Concerning sponsorship, most Australian employers are not interested in sponsoring overseas people for work visas or PR. Normally they can hire the employees they need locally. However, if you have skills they can't fill easily, then they may well be prepared to consider you.

Jeremy

Hi Guys

Can anyone help

Thanks
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Hi Guys

Can anyone help

Thanks
Hi,

I'm a joiner by trade, didn't have the required number of points for skilled independent so applied for a visa under the STNI scheme and was sponsered in by Victoria. Whole process from start to finish took only 19 weeks and we fly out in 26 days. I used the Visa Unit based in London and they were excellent.
www.visa-unit.com

need any further then send me a pm

Andy
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by andy thomas
Hi,

I'm a joiner by trade, didn't have the required number of points for skilled independent so applied for a visa under the STNI scheme and was sponsered in by Victoria. Whole process from start to finish took only 19 weeks and we fly out in 26 days. I used the Visa Unit based in London and they were excellent.
www.visa-unit.com

need any further then send me a pm

Andy
nothing to do with the quest lol just wanted to say hi andy how you doing you all ready for the big move were still at the early stage getting tra ready to be sent off hope all goes well for you andy take care
debs xxxxx
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by xxdebsonlinexx
nothing to do with the quest lol just wanted to say hi andy how you doing you all ready for the big move were still at the early stage getting tra ready to be sent off hope all goes well for you andy take care
debs xxxxx

thanx debs sent u a pm
Old Jun 15th 2004, 5:26 pm
Just Startin'

scotpandj is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much to all those that took the time to reply.
Very helpful.
Cheers!!!