Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cat Transfer to Aus

Cat Transfer to Aus

Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default Cat Transfer to Aus

Can anyone please recommend good companies to transfer our cat from UK to Sydney in Jan 2011?

And, how much notice do they need?

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat Transfer to Aus

You have plenty of time, I organised mine within a couple of weeks. But I don't recommend you leave it that long, get it organised maybe 6 weeks ahead.

I moved my cats to Bermuda using Airpets and to Australia using Golden Arrow. Both did everything that needed to be done and the cats arrived with no hitches.

Golden Arrow are cheaper to Australia than Airpets are, however I did find that the containers my cats were in to Bermuda were far more spacious than the ones they came to Australia in. I was quite upset about that as it is a 7 hour flight to Bermuda whereas the poor things spent over 30 hours in these poxy crates to Australia.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Bermuda Shorts..thank you..helpful as ever, much appreciated..I'll get quotes from them both.

A and M
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi... we're doing the cat thing x 2.... how much notice you need will also depend upon the quaratine station and when they have a vacancy...

We saved money by applying for the import permit ourselves and talking to the quaratine station... we're here already so that was easy for us... we also saved money by delivering to Airpets and not having them collected from our uk address...

2 cats are costing us 1500 pounds PLUS quarentine charges at this end..

Make sure their vaccinations are up to date, ours had lapsed by 3 weeks due to my parents selling their house/planning on immigrating/being totally incompetent... so they had to be redone .... they could have been here 3 weeks ago if we hadn't had that happen... They have to be microchipped with a compatible system too before you can apply for the permit... ours were'nt a problem coz they've been chipped for years.. it took me a couple of days to find out for sure whether the chips were compatible... more delays

They arrive on the 14th.... then they get 30 days before we can collect them

hope that helps...
Old Oct 30th 2010, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Lizzard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

we have just got our cat having moved from the UK to Australia and used airpets. I have to say they were extremely nice, caring, thoughtful and professional. I was a little distraught at leaving her but they took the time to reassure me and showed me where she would be staying for her time in the UK. Our cat is a little nervous and she arrived in great health, might have something to do with the staff in quarantine as well they too were excellent. Her crate was a good size and she used it to get from Sydney up to Cairns it was all clean and lovely for her. Also she arrived in Cairns with the blanket we left her with in the UK believing it would be distroyed on arrival in Australia! don't know why it wasn't but was very happy she had something familiar with her for all of her time.

Hope this helps anything else just ask.
lizzard
Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

That is very re-assuring for us, as we have just booked Airpets for our cat to Sydney.

Thank you
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:44 pm
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eddie007
They have to be microchipped with a compatible system too before you can apply for the permit... ours were'nt a problem coz they've been chipped for years.. it took me a couple of days to find out for sure whether the chips were compatible... more delays
Regarding the microchipping - my youngest(!) is due to be chipped when she has her teeth cleaned this month.
Prior to booking her in for this what would be the best way to find out about whether the chips used at my UK vet would be compatible?
Any links regarding this process would be very useful!

Cheers,
>A.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolcat
Regarding the microchipping - my youngest(!) is due to be chipped when she has her teeth cleaned this month.
Prior to booking her in for this what would be the best way to find out about whether the chips used at my UK vet would be compatible?
Any links regarding this process would be very useful!

Cheers,
>A.
I didn't look into compatability of my cats' microchips. I think they are pretty standard things. Mine have tracer microchips.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

If you are living in the hotter parts of Australia QLD and Northern QLD with cats and dogs, make sure you get some tick protection if you are going to let them outside. Also be aware that pythons are dire with small animals so its best to try to keep them inside.

My friend who lives in Thornlands in Brisbane had a seven foot python outside her back door yesterday and it was a fat one.

On another forum a lady just lost her cat she lives in northern NSW lost to a tick so be aware.