Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carrying computer components on the plane and through customs/security

Carrying computer components on the plane and through customs/security

Old Jan 16th 2004, 6:45 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carrying computer components on the plane and through customs/security

Anyone have any idea on how easy/advisable to carry various bits of computer componentry on the plane journey?

I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive for my computer, but would only do so if I could then safely take it with me to NZ. Likewise internal PCI cards and the like? (though I could ship those I suppose)

Any tips of safely transporting it? Carry on or in baggage? Would xrays harms it - and would security have any problems with it?

I can't see why as laptops are carried all the time - but just wondered if some ignoramus security person would have a problem with it and confiscate it....

cheers
Old Jan 16th 2004, 7:11 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I had no problems in bringing in a hard drive and soundcard. I put them in my checked luggage, making sure they were wrapped well with a towel and put in between clothing.

In sydney I was asked what was in the suitcase coz they xray all bags, I showed customs and he said "no worries mate" !!!
Old Jan 16th 2004, 8:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Same as Luke here. Motherboard, RAM, HDDs, videocard, modem, network card and processor were all in my checked suitcase. I declared it but said it was all over a year old so no GST was due.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 9:28 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

obviously no problems with the HD taking a beating in the checked luggage....?

those bags get chucked around a fair bit....
Old Jan 16th 2004, 9:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
obviously no problems with the HD taking a beating in the checked luggage....?

those bags get chucked around a fair bit....
Get some antistatic bags, and wrap well in bubble wrap. There is always a risk in moving an HDD.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default computer bits

If anybody is thinking of taking hardware to Oz because they think it is cheaper in Blighty, then take a look at this web site first and compare the prices.

www.diycomputers.com.au

I use ebuyer in Blighty and I tell you the prices are pretty much the same. So ave your money here and spend it on more important things, then when you are settled and working then treat yourself to the latest gadgit.