Reload this Page >

Carpentry work in Australia 2014

Carpentry work in Australia 2014

Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:03 am
Just Joined

ChippyCraig is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Carpentry work in Australia 2014

Hi Guys

I know there's been many posts on this topic but they all seem to be very out of date so I was hoping to get some up to date information on the current situation out there.

I'm interested in making the move to Oz and have been in touch with an agency here in the UK recently going through the early stages of planning. Although they tell me there's lots of work for carpenters (mainly in Perth) I was hoping for an opinion off some people that actually work there and can vouch for my agents statement! as they could be feeding me a pile of dung haha.
So here i go...

- Is there much work in Perth and is it difficult to get?

- What sort of rate should I expect to earn? (10 years site experience)

- Should I ship my own tools or buy new when I arrive?

- How much would you recommend I'd need to get set up in Oz? (living costs, cheap van/pick up, tools etc...)

- People say the quality of life is better in Oz (everybody I've met has raved about life there) yet I get the impression that the rate of pay is roughly the same and so are the living costs? am i wrong?

And here's the big one...

- Are you happy you made the move to Oz? and why?

I'd be very grateful for your comments and opinions as it would be a great help to me as far as making my mind up. Moving to Oz has its appeal to me for my own reasons but my reasons are based on zero evidence/experience there! haha
I'd really appreciate your help. Thank god for forums like this!

Thanks in advance!

Craig
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:14 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpentry work in Australia 2014

Originally Posted by ChippyCraig
Hi Guys

I know there's been many posts on this topic but they all seem to be very out of date so I was hoping to get some up to date information on the current situation out there.

I'm interested in making the move to Oz and have been in touch with an agency here in the UK recently going through the early stages of planning. Although they tell me there's lots of work for carpenters (mainly in Perth) I was hoping for an opinion off some people that actually work there and can vouch for my agents statement! as they could be feeding me a pile of dung haha.
So here i go...

- Is there much work in Perth and is it difficult to get?

- What sort of rate should I expect to earn? (10 years site experience)

- Should I ship my own tools or buy new when I arrive?

- How much would you recommend I'd need to get set up in Oz? (living costs, cheap van/pick up, tools etc...)

- People say the quality of life is better in Oz (everybody I've met has raved about life there) yet I get the impression that the rate of pay is roughly the same and so are the living costs? am i wrong?

And here's the big one...

- Are you happy you made the move to Oz? and why?

I'd be very grateful for your comments and opinions as it would be a great help to me as far as making my mind up. Moving to Oz has its appeal to me for my own reasons but my reasons are based on zero evidence/experience there! haha
I'd really appreciate your help. Thank god for forums like this!

Thanks in advance!

Craig
Hi Craig and welcome to BE

Not a chippy but can help with some.

A search on seek.com.au or similar can give you a rough idea on job markets.

Bring your tools - they'll be expensive to replace.

There's no such thing as a cheap van

If you are young enough, why not have a look at a WHV to come over and see if you like the place - it's not for everyone. Failing that, what about a holiday?

Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:22 am
Just Joined

ChippyCraig is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sparkles

I will definitely come over for a holiday first to get a feel for the place.
As far as a WHV, yes its a good idea. I'm also told that I could get a years working holiday visa whilst waiting for my Permanent visa to go through, is this true?

It's all well and good checking online job websites to see if theres much work but i find they can be a little mis-leading. If i browse through ones here in the UK it feels as if its booming here but in actually fact its not haha.
I'm hoping there'll be guys in Oz in the trade that could help on this one?

Thanks for your help
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChippyCraig
Thanks Sparkles

I will definitely come over for a holiday first to get a feel for the place.
As far as a WHV, yes its a good idea. I'm also told that I could get a years working holiday visa whilst waiting for my Permanent visa to go through, is this true?

It's all well and good checking online job websites to see if theres much work but i find they can be a little mis-leading. If i browse through ones here in the UK it feels as if its booming here but in actually fact its not haha.
I'm hoping there'll be guys in Oz in the trade that could help on this one?

Thanks for your help
Yes if you qualify for a WHV you could use that while waiting for the outcome of a PR application (just make sure you keep your CO informed)
Old Feb 9th 2014, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

Can't comment about Perth, but over in a Sydney things seem to be flat out,plenty of work about, pay ranges from $35 -$50 depending if you are working on a ABN or a ltd company.
I would ship all your tools it's all 240v just have to change the plug and your good to go.

Good luck
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tim65
Can't comment about Perth, but over in a Sydney things seem to be flat out,plenty of work about, pay ranges from $35 -$50 depending if you are working on a ABN or a ltd company.
I would ship all your tools it's all 240v just have to change the plug and your good to go.

Good luck
And get them Tagged and Tested. Dont bring 110v stuff
Old Feb 16th 2014, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

I brought all my 110v stuff and have had no problem using it,depends if your on a union run site ?
As I have needed new items these. Have been replaced with the Australian models .
Old Feb 16th 2014, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure about other states, you cannot legally use 110v in QLD, and you could not get them Tested and Tagged for site use. I suppose for private use you could get away with it
Old Feb 16th 2014, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

I have used my 110v tools on sites around Sydney and not had any problems the tagging lark is another money grab only good for the time of inspection.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

And the 110V power tool requirement on UK work-sites is ridiculous and pathetic
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Relevance?