Reload this Page >

Midwife in Australia

Midwife in Australia

Old Feb 16th 2014, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Mwldn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwife in Australia

Hi all

Looking to either work in Australia or New Zealand in 2015 as a midwife. I'm doing a bit of research but can't really find anyone that knows what it is like to work in either country. I've been qualified for 3 and a half years and have worked in a busy London hospital for all of that. Feels like now is the time to explore. To start with I'm looking for temporary work thinking of working 6 months to a year in either country. Is this possible?

Just looking for someone to tell me what it's like to work in either country so I can make a decision as to where I want to work. I've been to Australia before but never New Zealand so I can't base my decision on that alone.

Also once I've made a decision how do I go about finding a job? And how long does registration take to obtain in either country?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Emma
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwife in Australia

To be honest, I don't think it is possible for anyone to really know what it is like in advance. How other people find things might not be how you find them and there is no generic experience.

If you want to do it, then go for it. Pick the country that appeals to you the most, there is more to it than work.

Getting a visa for six months is not realistic though unless you are young enough for the working holiday visas. It is far too expensive to get the skilled migrant visa for six months and employers are not going to be interested in sponsoring for such a short period of time.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:32 pm
Shaun

picto1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

There is quite a bit on the internet about life down under - you have to have a good browse.

I've chosen Australia - tool me ages to decide where though. 1st Brisbane then Perth etc etc.

Applying for registration was straight forward - I made sure I read everything and triple checked everything. all I have to do now is wait for the decision from AHPRA.

I have a contact with an agency already and she's been very helpful and will help me as soon as I get the go ahead with my registration.

I hope you make a decision

Shaun
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:24 am
Just Joined

theaustravelfam is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Melbourne there is lots of work if you are happy with night shift and contract work, are you able to do basic nursing also?