Carpentry or IT in Oz ??

Old Dec 8th 2003, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Pauldw500 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh?!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:32 am
ABCDiamond

Paul

My advise is to keep up to date with computers, I know a few people who earn a few hundred $ per week on the side, updating computers, and giving general advise etc. I think there will always be a demand for that.

It probably won't help with the migration points, but it might help in creating an income. And you don't need a licence for that, Yet.

Have you looked at the info on the thread QLD builders Licence It applies to most building trades.

Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pauldw500
... It's the only bottleneck in the plan as we have property with decent equity and hope to purchase outright, again might not be the best route but without professional advice in this dept we really don't know....
Why not look to use the house equity to establish/buy a business? Personally I would have have my money working for me than tied up in a house with no mortgage.

I would not advise anyone in developed countries to consider IT as a career now.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:36 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

This is my first time on this website, however I may be able to offer some advice. Myself and my partner are also immigrating to Australia (Newcastle) and are applying on his (joiner) skilled application. As he does not hold the certificate of apprenticeship it is very difficult and we only have a good chance as he has been in joinery/carpentry trade for over 10 years and that should! qualify him to the standards of an OZZie Joiner!

We also advised that he could attend college to get additional certificates but was advised by our agent that they would not be beneficial and also that we would not be able to state this on the application until it was complete.

I'm not too sure about IT - although I have read in "australia news" that there is a lull in this market and Australians are finding it hard to find work in IT. "outbound publication website is also good and may have some information that will help.

Hope this helps.
Faye
Old Dec 8th 2003, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Pauldw500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah thx all for the advice. I'm still unsure bout it all, and don't really know which way is gonna be best to jump, but it appears that IT prob isn't the best way :-( I can train for either IT or Carpentry, or even invest into a business or sommit, I really don't know, but do know I need to speak to some kind of agent to find out me best way in.

Cheers all for reading/replying :-)