Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpenters tools

Carpenters tools

Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Soapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to all
Default Carpenters tools

My husband has many years collection of both 110 and hand tools. Can anyone advise if it is worth shipping the 110 tools They are expensive to buy, but have also heard they may be of no use in Australia

Also, same for hand tools, is it worth shipping? and if he wants to take the basics in his suitcase i.e. hammer, square etc, will that be allowed?

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:24 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenters tools

If by "110 tools" you are referring to American electrical tools that require a 110VAC electrical system, they will not be much use in Australia - not only is our system 220-240V but the US 110V system runs at 60Hz instead of 50Hz. But I'm puzzled as to where in Essex you can use such tools?

No reason why he can't bring hand tools out in checked in baggage (not carry-on!) but considering the weight, is it worth it?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Soapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
If by "110 tools" you are referring to American electrical tools that require a 110VAC electrical system, they will not be much use in Australia - not only is our system 220-240V but the US 110V system runs at 60Hz instead of 50Hz. But I'm puzzled as to where in Essex you can use such tools?

No reason why he can't bring hand tools out in checked in baggage (not carry-on!) but considering the weight, is it worth it?
All site tools in the UK are 110, so not sure what you are refering too about where in essex we reach them They are in every tool shop
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Pretty sure they are 50hz
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got plenty of 110 tools, and afew transformers, no problems at all. Bring the transformers with you though as you won't get them here (not that I know of anyway)

The site tools in the uk are 110vac and are run off 240/110 (50Hz) centre tapped transormers so the maximum belt you'll get is 55v, all to do with safety.

Last edited by stevenglish; Feb 10th 2011 at 8:55 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:47 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, things have obviously changed since I left the UK in 1983!! Everything was 240V back then.

Having said that, I have never seen 110V tools being used on building sites over here, so if you want to bring yours over you will have to supply your own transformer to run them. As far as I know the regulations over here require all tools on site to be powered via an ELCB or similar safety switch.

When I first arrived here I was surprised to see standard 240V power points in bathrooms - they hadn't been legal in the UK for some time by then.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Feb 11th 2011 at 1:50 am.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

pommy will become famous soon enoughpommy will become famous soon enough

Bring everything tools are more expensive out here. ibrought all my 110 tools with me and im still using them they do get some funny looks from the aussie tradies when you get them out the van. you will also need to get them all tagged and tested before you can take them on site.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:03 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommy
Bring everything tools are more expensive out here. ibrought all my 110 tools with me and im still using them they do get some funny looks from the aussie tradies when you get them out the van. you will also need to get them all tagged and tested before you can take them on site.
tricky one, you carnt "legally" tag n test a 110v tranny for site use as the output 110v is electricaly seperate to the input 240v, and if a fault occurs on the output the rcd protecting the 240v primary circuit wont trip
so its not stricktly correct to use on on an au building site having said that my own opinion is that the 110v tranny is far far safer than relying on an rcd
but unfortunuttly i dont write the regs
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
tricky one, you carnt "legally" tag n test a 110v tranny for site use as the output 110v is electricaly seperate to the input 240v, and if a fault occurs on the output the rcd protecting the 240v primary circuit wont trip
so its not stricktly correct to use on on an au building site having said that my own opinion is that the 110v tranny is far far safer than relying on an rcd
but unfortunuttly i dont write the regs
theres a guy up here on the sunny coast that tags them for me . your right what you said about them being safer.i will use them untill they wear out and then replace them with 240
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:10 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pommy
theres a guy up here on the sunny coast that tags them for me . your right what you said about them being safer.i will use them untill they wear out and then replace them with 240
I'm really surprised your getting away with that.
Have you never been pulled?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Bring as many tools as you can! I brought a tranny as I had 110v tools that I still use on a daily basis and will use them until the transformer gives up then either get a tranny sent over or sell the tools on Ebay UK.

Heavy bastards to lump about with you though!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I'm really surprised your getting away with that.
Have you never been pulled?
not had a problem so far so i will keep using them till i do
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a heat seaming iron from the UK, as they're half the price compared to over here, it's a 230v, so I'm assuming all that I'll need to do is change the plug to an Aussie one
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:37 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a heat seaming iron from the UK, as they're half the price compared to over here, it's a 230v, so I'm assuming all that I'll need to do is change the plug to an Aussie one
Yep just change the plug lol
Of course you'll have to get a licenced sparky to do that as it's way beyond the realms of a mere mortal to do such a thing here in Qld. Never mind that as an 11 yr old Pommy boy scout you got a badge for being able to do just!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:16 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yep just change the plug lol
Of course you'll have to get a licenced sparky to do that as it's way beyond the realms of a mere mortal to do such a thing here in Qld. Never mind that as an 11 yr old Pommy boy scout you got a badge for being able to do just!
isnt that because your average 12 yr old pommy boy has more sense ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.