Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpenters in Perth

Carpenters in Perth

Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Carpenters in Perth

Hi,

We are waiting to hear back results from the TRA and just wondering what the average wage is for carpenters/joiners in Perth? What areas seems to be booming with building work? North or south or city? We know thats theres plenty of work at the mo but trying to get a feel for which neck of the woods to concentrate on as far as work goes and of course settling in. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:48 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenters in Perth

Originally Posted by macker
Hi,

We are waiting to hear back results from the TRA and just wondering what the average wage is for carpenters/joiners in Perth? What areas seems to be booming with building work? North or south or city? We know thats theres plenty of work at the mo but trying to get a feel for which neck of the woods to concentrate on as far as work goes and of course settling in. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Hello

My husband is also a Carpenter and we are heading for Perth - to be honest I kind of gather the rate of pay is more or less the same as here, I haven't been yet so can only go on what I've been told. I hear there's plenty of work for chippies, especially as the property market is doing so well at the moment. I can't help with any of the areas, I understand there's quite a bit of work about wherever you go but then I guess until you get there who knows!

Anyway, if there's anything else I can help you with let me know. Whereabouts are you from?

Kath
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kath,

Thanks for that. We are in Dublin. We have not been yet either so difficult to pin down an area to set out sights on.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:30 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kath,

Thanks for that. We are in Dublin. We have not been yet either so difficult to pin down an area to set out sights on.
It's really hard isn't it. Well we're off for our reccie in June, so we'll be having a look at the job situation then probably and I'll post a report when I get back on here
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

That would be great Kath, send me a pm if you remember! Have a great recce.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:38 am

That would be great Kath, send me a pm if you remember! Have a great recce.
Yep no probs

Actually if you do a search for the word 'Carpenter' on her you should bring up quite a few threads on wages - I know I've asked the question before.

Let me know how you get on with your TRA.

Kath
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:08 am
Account Closed

miamunchkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We're in Perth already - my partner is a carpenter. The wages appear to be pretty below avergae unless you are prepared to travel out into the middle of nowhere, which seems to be on a par with wages back home. It's certainly worse than the UK
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by miamunchkin
Hi,

We're in Perth already - my partner is a carpenter. The wages appear to be pretty below avergae unless you are prepared to travel out into the middle of nowhere, which seems to be on a par with wages back home. It's certainly worse than the UK
Does he do the same hours as before? Is he self employed?

Macker I've found an old thread of mine about chippies

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=carpenter
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Hiya - we're off to the Sunny Coast and my partner is a chippie, expect to earn less wherever you are in Australia, you'll be lucky to match UK wages, we've been told by quite a few that you can expect to get anything from $15- $25 an hour maybe a couple of dollers more if your lucky!

Sally
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Clippies
Does he do the same hours as before? Is he self employed?

Macker I've found an old thread of mine about chippies

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=carpenter
He does more hours than before. Not self employed, working for a firm in a workshop. Unless you go out to the mines, you won't get nearly the same money here.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:54 am

He does more hours than before. Not self employed, working for a firm in a workshop. Unless you go out to the mines, you won't get nearly the same money here.
Is he on the bench? Would he not get more money working for himself?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Is he on the bench? Would he not get more money working for himself?
Yeah, he's on the bench. Maybe he'd get a bit more working for himself but it's not an option at the moment as we're still on a working holiday visa til out perm visa comes throiugh. Everyone is so sceptical over here cos everyone seems to rip customers off, trade wise. It's a bit of a nightmare. There's guys who have worked in the shop for 10 years + only getting $20 per hour
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:18 am

Yeah, he's on the bench. Maybe he'd get a bit more working for himself but it's not an option at the moment as we're still on a working holiday visa til out perm visa comes throiugh. Everyone is so sceptical over here cos everyone seems to rip customers off, trade wise. It's a bit of a nightmare. There's guys who have worked in the shop for 10 years + only getting $20 per hour
Hmm, from what I've heard you can earn fairly decent wages if you work for yourself as there's such a demand for the trade - I'm not there though and you are so obviously you'd know more!

My husband used to work on the bench years ago but it didn't pay as well as what he does on site now. He's planning on working for someone for a bit when he gets over there, just to get to know the ropes in Oz, then working for himself. Someone told me that chippies that will do roofing can earn a good wage
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Hmm, from what I've heard you can earn fairly decent wages if you work for yourself as there's such a demand for the trade - I'm not there though and you are so obviously you'd know more!

My husband used to work on the bench years ago but it didn't pay as well as what he does on site now. He's planning on working for someone for a bit when he gets over there, just to get to know the ropes in Oz, then working for himself. Someone told me that chippies that will do roofing can earn a good wage
Roofing will earn you mega bucks but will also earn you mega burns - it's danger money and no-one wants to do it. They can't get any roofing apprentices at all.

We scan the ads all the time to see if there's anything better going but everything's the same.

A guy I work with researched carpenters/joiners for ages to get a new kitchen - no-one would answer his calls cos they have the pick of customers and when he did get someone, they took $500 off him and haven't been since
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:28 am

Roofing will earn you mega bucks but will also earn you mega burns - it's danger money and no-one wants to do it. They can't get any roofing apprentices at all.

We scan the ads all the time to see if there's anything better going but everything's the same.

A guy I work with researched carpenters/joiners for ages to get a new kitchen - no-one would answer his calls cos they have the pick of customers and when he did get someone, they took $500 off him and haven't been since
See that's what I don't understand - if there's such a demand surely the job should pay well.

Couldn't your husband have done the work for him and earnt some extra cash?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.