Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Old May 10th 2005, 11:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
I don't mind you being negative about an area - I am open minded until I arrive in an area and check it out 1st. From what I have seen of north Lakes via pics on the net it seems like a pleasant area - OK not as developed as Bayside or somewhere like that but seems to me that they are building good quality homes in scenic free land ie. with lake views etc. To me facilities like restaurants, shops etc. will come with time - i'm sure Bayside was the same at one time? I like the idea of walks for my dog and cycling.

Are you trying to say it is a rough area? With these Bogan people (whatever the heck they are!!!?).

Thanks though I respect your opinions although they might end up being different to mine.

Lynn
LOL, you're offended that I don't like it & you aren't even here yet. Never mind, I'll be nice from now on .

Ohh & btw, heres another description of a bogan

Bogan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Wiktionary has a definition of:
Bogan

Bogan is a derogatory Australian slang term for somebody who is perceived as being an unfashionable "lower-class" person, typically of British Isles ancestry and living in deprived urban areas. The term originated in Melbourne, and equivalent terms are:

Bevan in Brisbane.
Chigger in Hobart.
(sometimes interchangeable with) Booner in Canberra.
Westy in Sydney, Australia and Waitakere (Auckland), New Zealand referring to Western Suburbs.

Bogans are stereotypically considered to be young adults, older males who would otherwise be described as being "bogans" are sometimes known as yobbos.

Stereotypical "bogan style" involves wearing moccassins and ugg boots (especially outdoors) and flannelette shirts (or black jerseys and jeans in Waitakere) and prominent tattoos. The typical bogan hairstyle is the mullet.

Bogans are often stereotyped as driving loud, obnoxious cars of American or Australian manufacture such as older model modified Holden Commodores or Ford Falcons. In Western Australia, when describing the associated bad or fast driving the person is described by the the term "hoon". In fact, the state government has brought in what are known as 'Anti-Hoon' laws to cut down on young males causing auto accidents by excessive speed and street racing.

Liquor consumption features prominently in the bogan lifestyle, including rum, bourbon, beer (especially Victoria Bitter) or any other strong cheap liquor. Besides alcohol and tobacco, bogan culture is not associated with any particular drug, though marijuana use occasionally features in bogan popular culture such as the film Mallboy.

"Bogan rock" is an umbrella term for several artist and genres that commonly includes some elements of psychedelia, heavy metal, Big-Hair Rock, or nearly any Australian rock band from the 1970s and 1980s. In 2000 a Bogan Rock Festival was held in rural Victoria to some critical and financial success, suggesting that the term's derogatory power is becoming eroded.

The television series Kath and Kim is an affectionate look at bogans. Bogan culture has also been a common subject in Australian stand-up comedy, with comedian Chris Franklin releasing a #1 single, "Bloke", a bogan's response to "Bitch" by American musician Meredith Brooks, and sung to the same tune.
Old May 10th 2005, 11:29 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
And Mango Hill used to be full of them too . But shhhhhhh, you cant say anything negative about a place, people get offended .

My brother lives in Murrumba Downs, on the other side of Dohles Rocks Rd to Castle Hill. Castle Hill is supposed to be very nice, very expensive property on the river, my brother has tried to get us to buy a place in there a couple of times now, ummmm, lets just say, its not for us .

it all depends on what you like i suppose, whats for one set won't be for another, and you should air your views on area's thats what the forum is for is it not.

Malcolm
Old May 10th 2005, 4:13 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, you're offended that I don't like it & you aren't even here yet. Never mind, I'll be nice from now on .

Ohh & btw, heres another description of a bogan
Hmmmm think you have missunderstood me as my reply most definately was saying that I don't mind you having an opinion and that all I have to go on is internet pics so i'm in no position to argue! Infact it has been very good to hear your opinion and the 'Madsad's' opinion on north lakes as they are obviously very contrasting - i'm just in the middle

Everyone seems to go on about this Bayside so loking forward to seeing it for myself in November! lol

Would Mount Cotton be nice to rent? Have heard some lovely things about there too and we quite like a bit of countryside (but still near everyday facilities)

Lynn
Old May 10th 2005, 4:15 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Quote from http://www.toxiccustard.com/australia/lingo.html

Regarding North Lakes and the Bayside, I feel that some people will hope that the Bayside never becomes like North Lakes
We all have different views on areas
Thanks very much ABC - can always rely on you to help me out - now I know what a Bogan is :scared: !!!!!!!

Have bookmarked Toxiccustard website its really fun isn't it!!?

Thanks,
Lynn
Old May 10th 2005, 9:53 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

And Mango Hill used to be full of them too . But shhhhhhh, you cant say anything negative about a place, people get offended .

My brother lives in Murrumba Downs, on the other side of Dohles Rocks Rd to Castle Hill. Castle Hill is supposed to be very nice, very expensive property on the river, my brother has tried to get us to buy a place in there a couple of times now, ummmm, lets just say, its not for us .

I think you would be offended too Mrs D if someone was on here bad mouthing the area you live in?
Funny thing is time changes things,people move on,new comers move in,maybe for the better maybe not.
Myself & my family certainly do not like being classed as a Bogans simply because we live in an area you say used to be full of them.

Donna.
Old May 10th 2005, 10:16 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
I think you would be offended too Mrs D if someone was on here bad mouthing the area you live in?
Funny thing is time changes things,people move on,new comers move in,maybe for the better maybe not.
Myself & my family certainly do not like being classed as a Bogans simply because we live in an area you say used to be full of them.

Donna.
Donna, I used to live in Loganlea, I will happily tell you that it was a craphole & you shouldnt live there. I also live very close to Capalaba (like you live close to Mango Hill) & Im honest enough to tell you (& anyone else that wants to listen) that Capalaba is full of bogans.

I'll just shutup now.
Old May 11th 2005, 12:04 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Donna, I used to live in Loganlea, I will happily tell you that it was a craphole & you shouldnt live there. I also live very close to Capalaba (like you live close to Mango Hill) & Im honest enough to tell you (& anyone else that wants to listen) that Capalaba is full of bogans.

I'll just shutup now.
Cue hoards of offended Capalaba residents!...
Old May 11th 2005, 12:13 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
Cue hoards of offended Capalaba residents!...
Not likely - Bogans don't use computers
Old May 11th 2005, 2:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Not sure what a Bogan is!!!??? But never really fancied Kallangur as I gather the houses are a lot older.

One person's heaven is another man's hell I suppose,

Lynn
I'd ask or PM "Logan" the "Bogan" ( sorry Logan, I'm just taking the Mick out of the some of the comments on this thread) if I were you if you want to know more about that area, as I think Logan lives there -is the woman/man on the ground so to speak for comments on that area. "Bogan" isn't much used in Brisbane that I've heard, then again I have never heard of a charv before. Perhaps it's just the dragged up folk who use it to put down others - very ironic. All all fur coat and no knickers type of people as my old grandmother would say.

I can tell you what I do know about the area though, and that it has around three brand newish estates and new plots - plenty of new homes and estates lol , as I have a good friend who lives in Kallangur. I visit the area quite often for a wee drink or two and a meal

I can't remember the name of the new estates off the top of my head, but one is called Butterfly drive , or ridge something like that. I think some people have not got a clue about cetain areas, and are basically talking through their you know what.
The main town on Anzac ave has two pubs, one a tavern which next to their supermarket ( coles or Woolworths? can't remember which it is) , the other is an Irish bar, both sell meals. There seems plenty of chip shops and cafe type things on the main road, I've never counted them so couldn't tell you how many - but it looks like the usual chip cafe style shops. Further out is a pub called Grinners ( I can tell you the names of the pubs - but not the names of the new estates lol ) - not sure if Grinners is in Kallangur, or just a little bit falls outside the border - if it is inside the border line , that's three pubs anyway.
as for "bogans" , that's funny if you knew my friends ( a very nice well to do couple with three well brought up kids) who live there , they are anything but "bogans".

Kallangur has no more older homes than places like Redcliffe peninsular and Manly, there is a mixture of old and new estates like most areas.

http://www.domain.com.au/real-estate/Kallangur/16.html

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...d&t=res&snf=bs
( put in Kallangur in the second link and go in around half way in the search results, you should come across homes in the new estates, as the old homes are listed first reflecting the cheapest price first as with most areas)

Little tip, visit places yourself and decide for yourself.Maybe rent in a certain area first to get a feel for the place ,whether it's bayside, mango hill, Kallangur etc etc before buying anything.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; May 11th 2005 at 2:46 am.
Old May 11th 2005, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Ceri
I'd ask or PM "Logan" the "Bogan" ( sorry Logan, I'm just taking the Mick out of the some of the comments on this thread) if I were you if you want to know more about that area, as I think Logan lives there -is the woman/man on the ground so to speak for comments on that area. "Bogan" isn't much used in Brisbane that I've heard, then again I have never heard of a charv before. Perhaps it's just the dragged up folk who use it to put down others - very ironic. All all fur coat and no knickers type of people as my old grandmother would say.

I can tell you what I do know about the area though, and that it has around three brand newish estates and new plots - plenty of new homes and estates lol , as I have a good friend who lives in Kallangur. I visit the area quite often for a wee drink or two and a meal

I can't remember the name of the new estates off the top of my head, but one is called Butterfly drive , or ridge something like that. I think some people have not got a clue about cetain areas, and are basically talking through their you know what.
The main town on Anzac ave has two pubs, one a tavern which next to their supermarket ( coles or Woolworths? can't remember which it is) , the other is an Irish bar, both sell meals. There seems plenty of chip shops and cafe type things on the main road, I've never counted them so couldn't tell you how many - but it looks like the usual chip cafe style shops. Further out is a pub called Grinners ( I can tell you the names of the pubs - but not the names of the new estates lol ) - not sure if Grinners is in Kallangur, or just a little bit falls outside the border - if it is inside the border line , that's three pubs anyway.
as for "bogans" , that's funny if you knew my friends ( a very nice well to do couple with three well brought up kids) who live there , they are anything but "bogans".

Kallangur has no more older homes than places like Redcliffe peninsular and Manly, there is a mixture of old and new estates like most areas.

http://www.domain.com.au/real-estate/Kallangur/16.html

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...d&t=res&snf=bs
( put in Kallangur in the second link and go in around half way in the search results, you should come across homes in the new estates, as the old homes are listed first reflecting the cheapest price first as with most areas)

Little tip, visit places yourself and decide for yourself.Maybe rent in a certain area first to get a feel for the place ,whether it's bayside, mango hill, Kallangur etc etc before buying anything.

Cheers

Nice post Ceri,
Not nice being branded a 'Bogan' or anything else simply because of someones opinion of an area you live in.

Your post made me laugh,ive not heard those phrases for a while !

Donna.
Old May 11th 2005, 11:17 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Nice post Ceri,
Not nice being branded a 'Bogan' or anything else simply because of someones opinion of an area you live in.

Donna.
Just to even the debate up a bit...I personally wouldn't want to live in Bayside - been there on numerous occasions to see what the fuss is about and felt like a retirement village. Each to their own though - everyone's needs are different.

Now Inala - heaven on earth

R
Old May 11th 2005, 11:21 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Just to even the debate up a bit...I personally wouldn't want to live in Bayside - been there on numerous occasions to see what the fuss is about and felt like a retirement village. Each to their own though - everyone's needs are different.

R
P.S. funny story - I've landed a job with a Public Relations firm in Brissie and one of my clients is North Lakes....

So naturally, on the subject of Bogans in North Lakes - no comment!

Seriously, only just getting to know the in's and out's but would be happy to offer an insider's knowledge of the place once I know more (without the spin - honest).

R
Old May 12th 2005, 5:36 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Nice post Ceri,

Donna.
My phrases are what I brought up with by my family - polite way of telling some people some things.

where to live? A deserted island away from humans would suit me fine - real bliss

Old May 12th 2005, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by samnrob2

R
Oh Inala, bogan heaven. I remember that's where I saw my first bogan in a pair of knee-high ugg-boots...outdoors - now it's a fashion statement.

Did any other aussies fall into shock :scared: when they came into 'fashion'??

Are they fashionable in oz now too?
Old May 12th 2005, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Hi Lynn,
Yes I do live in Kallangur, and no I'm not a bogan, although as I pointed out on another thread, 'logan the bogan' has a great ring to it!! However I've only been here for about 4 weeks. I'm more than happy to pm you (haven't for a while!) if you want more info.

It's funny reading any threads re. areas as people are naturally happy with their chosen 'spot', but it all gets a bit defensive. I guess though, if I think back to when I was in Scotland, (not that long ago!), it was the same. There's geographical rivalry everywhere. Each to their own I say. We're here cos, we were thinking of Kallangur/Petrie/Burpengary but we're not righting off anywhere just yet. Renting will give us a chance to explore, and hopefully make a more informed decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.