British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/carina-carindale-mango-hill-manly-cleveland-can-anyone-tell-me-more-301067/)

lynnlovessun May 5th 2005 7:53 pm

Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Hi,

Have been browsing rental properties for when we arrive in Oct/Nov - Have heard good things about Cleveland/ Bayside but have never visited.

I have noticed that a lot of properties in Mango Hill/ Kallungur/ North Lakes will consider pets (good news for us as we are taking our dog with us) but are these area's decent? They seem to have good links to the Bruce Highway but thats about all I know so if anyone can shed any more light I would be very grateful - I would want to know about commuting times to Brisbane CBD , and the facilites of the area - we don't have kids so schools not an issue.

Thanks
Lynn :) :beer:

J+J May 5th 2005 8:09 pm

Re: Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Hi Lynn,
Haven't checked but have you tried www.ourbrisbane.com then try the search option. Hope it's useful.
Also for more info on cleveland and bayside have you tried the brisbanebaysidebrits
Jo

lynnlovessun May 5th 2005 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by J+J
Hi Lynn,
Haven't checked but have you tried www.ourbrisbane.com then try the search option. Hope it's useful.
Also for more info on cleveland and bayside have you tried the brisbanebaysidebrits
Jo

Thanks Jo - have already looked at that website but it dosen't tell you an awful lot - I am looking for personal opinions on area's (I realise that everyone's opinions are different) as I don't really know bad/ rough area's from good respectable area's - or whether there are facilities like restaurants, bars, good shops etc.

Will check out the bayside pages too.

Lynn :)

GLR May 6th 2005 12:08 am

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi,

Have been browsing rental properties for when we arrive in Oct/Nov - Have heard good things about Cleveland/ Bayside but have never visited.

I have noticed that a lot of properties in Mango Hill/ Kallungur/ North Lakes will consider pets (good news for us as we are taking our dog with us) but are these area's decent? They seem to have good links to the Bruce Highway but thats about all I know so if anyone can shed any more light I would be very grateful - I would want to know about commuting times to Brisbane CBD , and the facilites of the area - we don't have kids so schools not an issue.

Thanks

There's loads of posters on here who can give you information about Bayside so I'll leave that to them.

As for Mango Hill/North Lakes, that's essentially a new town that's being built by a developer in the bushland between Brisbane and Redcliffe. You get a lot of house for your money but the major downside is that it's a long way from the CBD. There's no train line so you have to drive - they say that it's only about 45 mins from the CBD but I'd say that was outside of the rush hour. Others who live in Redcliffe may be able to verify but I'd say it would take at least 60 mins to get from North Lakes to the CBD in the rush hour.

As for good links to the Bruce Highway - well it's practically built on top of it so that would be a yes! ;)

Cheers

GLR

JackTheLad May 6th 2005 12:59 am

Hi,

Thanks

We live near Cleveland - in fact our house is about 10 minute walk from either Cleveland or Ormiston station. The train journey from Cleveland to CBD is 40-50 minutes on the express train during rush hour. The regular train which stops at every station takes slightly over 1 hour. You're guaranteed a seat if you get on the train from Cleveland as it's at the end of the line. We like it here a lot - little local shops and restaurants near by, a short drive from shopping centres - Capalaba 15 minutes, Carindale 25 minutes. I've always lived quite close to a body of water so I'm very happy to be 5 minutes walk from the shore. The nice seabreeze in the summer keeps the house relatively cool. There're lots of parks and little muddy beaches to walk the dog. Life is quiet here but that's just the way we've always wanted.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

MrsDagboy May 6th 2005 2:14 am

Hi Lynn,

GLR is right, Northlakes area is around an hours commute by car to the CBD in peak hour traffic. No train service, although there is a bus service from Kallangur. Theres a new shopping centre there & probably a pub/tavern but basically its just a huge new housing development. Make of that what you will. I wouldnt live there for all the tea in China, but not everyone is the same :) . My brother lives on the other side of the highway at Murrumba Downs (around 10 year old estate) & loves it. Kallangur is the older part of the area, houses are generally older etc. It has a pub, not sure that you would say its a thriving metrolpolis of restaurants & bars though :eek: .

Carina & Carindale are around 15-20 mins from the CBD, add 10-15 mins for peak hour traffic. There is a very reliable bus service that runs regularly to the CBD, but no train service. Excellent shopping facilities (Carindale shopping centre http://www.westfield.com/carindale/ is one of the nicest in Brisbane IMO), bars/pubs & restaurants.

Manly - 35 mins on the train, quicker for the express service. Restaurants/bars/pub, not much in the way of shopping apart from some small shops in the high street. A bit more in Wynnum.

Cleveland - MrsJTL has covered most of it, only thing I would add is that there are quite a few nice restaurants & bars in Cleveland & Raby Bay area. For anyone that lives in the area, can highly recommend Raby Bay Oriental & the Tepanyaki Bar which is also in the Raby Bay restaurant area.

If you want any more specific info, just ask.

Edit: PS. You will find that there are places that will take pets anywhere, the reason that you notice it in Northlakes area is that there are so many houses for rent in that area, but very few in the bayside area.

JackTheLad May 6th 2005 2:42 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
For anyone that lives in the area, can highly recommend Raby Bay Oriental & the Tepanyaki Bar which is also in the Raby Bay restaurant area.

Hi Mrs D,

How did you know we've made reservation for mother's day lunch and dinner at these two restaurants?! You are psychic!!!! :scared:

Mrs JTL :)

P.S. Oh happy mother's day! Hope the twins get you something nice or stay away from troubles whichever you prefer! :D

lynnlovessun May 6th 2005 4:18 pm

Thank you all so much for your informative replies - that has really helped me.

Cleveland and Carina/ Carindale sound like nice places to rent then.....they are central with good facilities - but will we find a decent house that will take our adorable dog too?!

Northlakes we will check out when we arrive (on 5th November) and see if it is for us.....at least we know we would get a decent house that takes the dog.

Do you think that we can find a rental house within 3 weeks of arriving and get moved in? Reason I ask is because our dog will be coming out of quarantine on week 4 and we need to get a house for then - we will have no family in the area when we arrive as they are moving back to the UK for 6 months soon. We were gonna book short term accom for 3 weeks - what do you guy's think of this?

MrsDagboy May 6th 2005 9:15 pm

Thank you all so much for your informative replies - that has really helped me.

Cleveland and Carina/ Carindale sound like nice places to rent then.....they are central with good facilities - but will we find a decent house that will take our adorable dog too?!

Northlakes we will check out when we arrive (on 5th November) and see if it is for us.....at least we know we would get a decent house that takes the dog.

Do you think that we can find a rental house within 3 weeks of arriving and get moved in? Reason I ask is because our dog will be coming out of quarantine on week 4 and we need to get a house for then - we will have no family in the area when we arrive as they are moving back to the UK for 6 months soon. We were gonna book short term accom for 3 weeks - what do you guy's think of this?

Lynn, it should be possible in the North Lakes area as there are many more rentals available. Should be possible in Bayside, but it depends on the rentals available when you get here really. If you are prepared that you may have problems, then that covers all eventualities. Does your short term accomodation allow dogs? If so, then you shouldnt have a problem. If not that puts the pressure on if you want to find something down this way.

madsad May 6th 2005 11:02 pm

I live in Northlakes & its lovely! not a mass of building plots.
We secured our rental & moved in within 5 days of being here,we begged the owner to have a dog! It shouldnt be a problem finding a rental that allows pets,most families have dogs around here!
We have everything you need to live day to day life-Golf course,swimming pools,library,Tavern.shopping centre,Doctors,Dentists,beautiful walkways,lakes,Dog park! etc...

Have a look for yourself at www.northlakes.com

Or contact : Northlakes Sales & Information Centre.
2 Lakefield Drive,
Mangohill,QLD 4509
Phone- (07) 3480 9000
Fax- (07) 34809099

They will send you a street directory & community info book.

Donna.

lynnlovessun May 6th 2005 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by madsad
I live in Northlakes & its lovely! not a mass of building plots.
We secured our rental & moved in within 5 days of being here,we begged the owner to have a dog! It shouldnt be a problem finding a rental that allows pets,most families have dogs around here!
We have everything you need to live day to day life-Golf course,swimming pools,library,Tavern.shopping centre,Doctors,Dentists,beautiful walkways,lakes,Dog park! etc...

Have a look for yourself at www.northlakes.com

Or contact : Northlakes Sales & Information Centre.
2 Lakefield Drive,
Mangohill,QLD 4509
Phone- (07) 3480 9000
Fax- (07) 34809099

They will send you a street directory & community info book.

Donna.

Donna thanks so much for replying - was gonna PM you because I remembered that you live there now!!!! The area does seem far more dog friendly than anywhere else in Brisbane - you don'd have that far to drive either to decent shopping centres do you? Sunshine plaza, Morayfield etc.?

We will have 3 weeks in short term accom house (don't think they allow dogs) and then we will hopefully move into a rented house and collect our dog Poppy from Sydney - we are gonna drive down to Sydney, and make a wee mini break out of it.

Donna or Malcolm how long does it take you to drive to 1. Brisbane CBD in rush hour and 2. Sunshine plaza, Maroochydore normal daytime hours?

A girls gotta shop :p

Lynn

madsad May 7th 2005 12:30 am

Donna thanks so much for replying - was gonna PM you because I remembered that you live there now!!!! The area does seem far more dog friendly than anywhere else in Brisbane - you don'd have that far to drive either to decent shopping centres do you? Sunshine plaza, Morayfield etc.?

We will have 3 weeks in short term accom house (don't think they allow dogs) and then we will hopefully move into a rented house and collect our dog Poppy from Sydney - we are gonna drive down to Sydney, and make a wee mini break out of it.

Donna or Malcolm how long does it take you to drive to 1. Brisbane CBD in rush hour and 2. Sunshine plaza, Maroochydore normal daytime hours?

Lynn

Hi Lynn,
I will get hubby to fill you in on the driving times as i dont drive :o (hes away playing golf at the moment with a hangover hee hee!!)

I use my bike to get about :D

The area is very dog friendly,but i have found most areas around Brissy are, they all seem to love thier pets here ,lots & lots of people have dogs & so many services available for them too,mobile dog washes,dog salons!,vets,training etc..

Donna.

madsad May 7th 2005 9:54 am

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

CBD it takes Malcolm about 25mins normal daytime hours,busy period 45mins.
Maroochyydore 50mins normal daytime.

Not been to Sunshine plaza :confused: where is it :o ?

Theres quite a few shopping centres & mini malls about-Northlakes,Kallangur(5mins),Strathpine(15mins) has cinema & bowling too,Petrie(10mins).
If you need a serious shopping spree,it has to be Chermside(25mins) a frightening size! :eek:

We went to Northstar property services (in the Northlakes shopping centre) to see what they had available,seen a couple & chose this one we are in now.
If you want nearer the time i could pop in & collect a brochure on whats available with pets? I can scan it & send it by email,not like seeing the real thing i know but it may help ;)

Donna.

lynnlovessun May 7th 2005 10:10 am

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi Lynn,

CBD it takes Malcolm about 25mins normal daytime hours,busy period 45mins.
Maroochyydore 50mins normal daytime.

Not been to Sunshine plaza :confused: where is it :o ?

Theres quite a few shopping centres & mini malls about-Northlakes,Kallangur(5mins),Strathpine(15mins) has cinema & bowling too,Petrie(10mins).
If you need a serious shopping spree,it has to be Chermside(25mins) a frightening size! :eek:

We went to Northstar property services (in the Northlakes shopping centre) to see what they had available,seen a couple & chose this one we are in now.
If you want nearer the time i could pop in & collect a brochure on whats available with pets? I can scan it & send it by email,not like seeing the real thing i know but it may help ;)

Donna.

Thanks Donna and Malcolm for that info - you have been really helpful and I might take you up on the offer of scanning whats available rental wise nearer the time - we arrive in Brisbane 5th Nov 2005!!!!!! Flights were booked yesterday!

Budget wise Northlakes seems to be reasonably affordable too - we are budgeting around $300 per week - it this reasonable? Is A/C readily available too? Glad its dog friendly too!

Lynn

Jacs May 7th 2005 10:13 am

Thanks Donna and Malcolm for that info - you have been really helpful and I might take you up on the offer of scanning whats available rental wise nearer the time - we arrive in Brisbane 5th Nov 2005!!!!!! Flights were booked yesterday!

Budget wise Northlakes seems to be reasonably affordable too - we are budgeting around $300 per week - it this reasonable? Is A/C readily available too? Glad its dog friendly too!

Lynn

Hi Lynn

we're looking at that area too!!

we could be neighbours

Jackie