Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Old May 7th 2005, 10:29 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Example $300pw house in North lakes

Old May 7th 2005, 11:55 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carina/ Carindale/ Mango Hill/ Manly/ Cleveland - can anyone tell me more?

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Thanks Donna and Malcolm for that info - you have been really helpful and I might take you up on the offer of scanning whats available rental wise nearer the time - we arrive in Brisbane 5th Nov 2005!!!!!! Flights were booked yesterday!

Budget wise Northlakes seems to be reasonably affordable too - we are budgeting around $300 per week - it this reasonable? Is A/C readily available too? Glad its dog friendly too!

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Our house is $340 a week.
Four bedrooms,ours with en suite .kids have seperate shower/bath room,seperate toilet.2 livingrooms,large kitchen.covered bbq/patio area,garden,double garage.
We have air con in the kitchen & our bedroom only.

In the four houses we viewed this was the only one with air con rest of the houses had celling fans or nothing at all
In saying that we used the air con non stop when we first came here now its hardly ever on.

Donna.

Ps...found the web address for Northstar-www.northstarpropertyservices.com
Old May 9th 2005, 12:39 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

If you're looking for short term accommodation that allows pets try Brisbane Cottages:

http://www.brisbanecottages.com.au/

Their prices are short term prices i.e roughly hotel prices, so they're not suitable for more than a couple of weeks but for the money you do get a full house with garden.

Cheers

GLR
Old May 9th 2005, 3:10 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GLR
There's loads of posters on here who can give you information about Bayside so I'll leave that to them.

As for Mango Hill/North Lakes, that's essentially a new town that's being built by a developer in the bushland between Brisbane and Redcliffe. You get a lot of house for your money but the major downside is that it's a long way from the CBD. There's no train line so you have to drive - they say that it's only about 45 mins from the CBD but I'd say that was outside of the rush hour. Others who live in Redcliffe may be able to verify but I'd say it would take at least 60 mins to get from North Lakes to the CBD in the rush hour.

As for good links to the Bruce Highway - well it's practically built on top of it so that would be a yes!

Cheers

GLR
OK, it wasn't rush hour (Sunday afternoon), but our drive out to and from Mango Hill from the CBD takes only about 25 minutes. Only done the drive a few times but never really taken that long - and you know we weren't speeding cos of all those damned traffic lights!

R
Old May 9th 2005, 3:15 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by samnrob2
OK, it wasn't rush hour (Sunday afternoon), but our drive out to and from Mango Hill from the CBD takes only about 25 minutes. Only done the drive a few times but never really taken that long - and you know we weren't speeding cos of all those damned traffic lights!

R
You might also want to check out seqrents.com.au - that's usually a pretty good site.

R
Old May 9th 2005, 11:12 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi Lynn,

Excellent shopping facilities (Carindale shopping centre http://www.westfield.com/carindale/ is one of the nicest in Brisbane IMO), bars/pubs & restaurants.

wow.....thats a biiiiiiiiiig shopping centre - must be similar in size to meadowhell/manchesters cant remember the name of it!

cool!
Old May 9th 2005, 11:16 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samnrob2

R
Thanks for the info Rob - 25 mins is good!

So it that where you have bought your land then?!

Lynn
Old May 9th 2005, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

My brother lives on the other side of the highway at Murrumba Downs (around 10 year old estate) & loves it. Kallangur is the older part of the area, houses are generally older etc. It has a pub, not sure that you would say its a thriving metrolpolis of restaurants & bars though .
Kallangur is full of 'bogans' so I wouldn't move there!

MrsDagboy, is it Castle Hill your brother lives?
Old May 9th 2005, 9:37 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Briz-chick

And Mango Hill used to be full of them too . But shhhhhhh, you cant say anything negative about a place, people get offended .

My brother lives in Murrumba Downs, on the other side of Dohles Rocks Rd to Castle Hill. Castle Hill is supposed to be very nice, very expensive property on the river, my brother has tried to get us to buy a place in there a couple of times now, ummmm, lets just say, its not for us .
Old May 10th 2005, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

And Mango Hill used to be full of them too . But shhhhhhh, you cant say anything negative about a place, people get offended .

My brother lives in Murrumba Downs, on the other side of Dohles Rocks Rd to Castle Hill. Castle Hill is supposed to be very nice, very expensive property on the river, my brother has tried to get us to buy a place in there a couple of times now, ummmm, lets just say, its not for us .
My mum used to own a house building company who built most of the houses there. She had a great place with an amazing view. Retired on an island now...
Old May 10th 2005, 6:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

My mum used to own a house building company who built most of the houses there. She had a great place with an amazing view. Retired on an island now...
And Im guessing it's not Russell .
Old May 10th 2005, 8:57 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Thanks for the info Rob - 25 mins is good!

So it that where you have bought your land then?!

Lynn
No...
Old May 10th 2005, 10:43 am

Not sure what a Bogan is!!!??? But never really fancied Kallangur as I gather the houses are a lot older.

One person's heaven is another man's hell I suppose,

Lynn
Old May 10th 2005, 10:48 am

I don't mind you being negative about an area - I am open minded until I arrive in an area and check it out 1st. From what I have seen of north Lakes via pics on the net it seems like a pleasant area - OK not as developed as Bayside or somewhere like that but seems to me that they are building good quality homes in scenic free land ie. with lake views etc. To me facilities like restaurants, shops etc. will come with time - i'm sure Bayside was the same at one time? I like the idea of walks for my dog and cycling.

Are you trying to say it is a rough area? With these Bogan people (whatever the heck they are!!!?).

Thanks though I respect your opinions although they might end up being different to mine.

Lynn
Old May 10th 2005, 11:11 am
ABCDiamond

Not sure what a Bogan is!!!??? But never really fancied Kallangur as I gather the houses are a lot older.

One person's heaven is another man's hell I suppose,

Lynn
Quote from http://www.toxiccustard.com/australia/lingo.html

The Macquarie dictionary defines it thus:

bogan noun 1. a fool; idiot. 2. WA a lout or hooligan, especially of a particular social group noted for wearing black shirt and jeans. 3. Tasmania a rough lout or hooligan. In Hobart equivalent to a Chigga. [probably from Bogan a river in NSW]

Those of us here in Victoria would probably find the WA definition the closest, whereas Area 7's opus "Nobody Likes A Bogan" goes into more detail about a particular example of Bogandom.

Off the top of my head, some attributes of bogans might be: tight jeans, tight t-shirts, cigarettes, loud music, bad haircuts, swearing, not a particularly high income bracket, and a hotted up car.

Ultimately being a bogan probably isn't a choice, and isn't really the clothing, either. It's more an attitude. A kind of indefinable ... uuhh... thingy. Yep.
Regarding North Lakes and the Bayside, I feel that some people will hope that the Bayside never becomes like North Lakes
We all have different views on areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.