Caravan Parks

Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:41 am
Just Joined

jscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caravan Parks

Hi

We are thinking of hiring a camper van in April and touring the Sunshine Coast and Gold coast for 3 weeks.

Just reading the previous post on Caravan Parks & some of them being dumping grounds for undesirables. I am guessing that this is not the case for all of them and wondered if anyone had any good sites to recommend or is this camper van thing not a good idea??????

Thanks

Jaqui
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:00 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Caravan Parks in general in Australia are fantastic. I wouldn't call them dumping grounds for undesirables at all....well defo not the ones we went to.

We would tend to stay in a caravan park when we wanted to do laundry and have a decent shower (although I always wore flip flops, but that's just me). Otherwise we would try to stay in camping grounds (you aren't far from Bunya Mountains National Park and Lemington National Park - those were our 2 fave parks on the East Coast - also Eungella NP which is near Mackay - fantastic place...but I digress).

I was honestly surprised at how clean the facilities were. They all have kitchens and laundry facilities. the bathrooms are really clean. I can't remember which ones were good, but I can honestly say that the only one I remember not being very nice was in NT somewhere.

Having a campervan is seriously a wonderful way to see the country - enjoy yourselves!!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

kcsb17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Caravan Parks

Originally posted by jscott
Hi

We are thinking of hiring a camper van in April and touring the Sunshine Coast and Gold coast for 3 weeks.

Just reading the previous post on Caravan Parks & some of them being dumping grounds for undesirables. I am guessing that this is not the case for all of them and wondered if anyone had any good sites to recommend or is this camper van thing not a good idea??????

Thanks

Jaqui
Hi Jaqui,

We did the east coast Sydney to Brisbane in a campervan in 2002 and stopped at many different campsites. We found the standard was excellent and the facilities great. If you start at a tourist information office you can pick up a campsite guide book. Then just choose a nice picture, or go by the star rating. If you have a campervan, you will need a powered site too.

K
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:15 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RACQ

The RACQ accomodation guide is my bible when looking for a campsite...

http://www.racq.com.au/

Click Travel -> Accomodation
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:19 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

On the two visits we made before trying migration we hired campervans both times and have done the coast and some inland from Adelaide to Cairns. All the camp sites were stayed at were excellent, some offering en-suite facilities for a small addtional charge. We tended to stick to Big 4 sites which is an organisation that you can join here is there web site:

www.big4.com.au

We got free membership with our campervan hire and you get a discount of the price for being a member.

Happy campervanning

Susan
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

jscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the positive replies and the really useful links. I am really excited about this camper van now. Roll on March 25th...

Jaqui
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jscott
Thanks for the positive replies and the really useful links. I am really excited about this camper van now. Roll on March 25th...

Jaqui
Just stick to the Tourist parks, big difference between them and the residential ones!

We have campervanned a few times, stayed at BIG 4's designed for tourists so thats who your fellow campers are likely to be too.