Car Loans

Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all
Default Car Loans

How long do u need to have had a bank account open in order to get a car loan? Anyone know?

Gav
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:32 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Loans

Originally Posted by Gav_71
How long do u need to have had a bank account open in order to get a car loan? Anyone know?

Gav
It doesn't tend to matter. The more of these you have, the better: PR, Permanent employment (past probation period will help), deposit or security etc etc
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all

Am going to be in full time employment but am gonna need a car more or less as soon as I start (i.e. pre probation). I guess it would be an idea to try and bring cash then?!

Cheers,

Gav
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

I have a related query so thought I'd raise it here. My girlfriend is applying for a car loan in Sydney and has been told there is a monthly service charge of $10. So a 7 year 84 month loan would incur $840 of service charges. There's also a $150 arrangement fee. All these charges are unheard of in the UK - is this normal in Oz or should she query them? Any guidance appreciated.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything incurs charges here of some sort, just got to deal with it. It's Australia not the UK. Is hard smetimes to stop comparing, especially when all the rip off charges get flung at you.

You can hire a car for $30 per day, so don't panic about buying on your first day.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

$30 a day? From the usual hire places or lesser known ones? Any links?

Cheers,

Gav
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Bayswater web address is www.nobirds.com.au

Perfectly decent outfit, not a backstreet garage. You can only get a white Toyota Corolla, but who cares. sometimes specials on at $15 per day !

I used them for a month with no hassle.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Yeah there does seem to be more of a US style charge culture in Oz. Was just looking for advice on whether a $10 charge on top of every loan repayment instalment was normal?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Gav
I can highly recommend a good broker if you still need a car loan. I used him for mine and so do a lot of my colleagues.

PM me if you need info.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

theshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant future

Gav

I would tend to bring cash, I had a bad experience when I arrived here ins Brisbane ( I am a from NZ ) I thought I really needed a car, I did have a job contract also, the bank wouldn't lend me money until I had been here 3 months, I found a car on ebay worth $7000 that looked good, I had $1000 deposit and the guy said he could organise finance as he was a legal car dealer.

This sounded great so off I went, took the car for a test drive, he said he'd get back to me as to whether I could get finance. The next day I got a call saying it had been approved, woohoo. So I went to his dealership and he had a loan broker as he called him. I went through the paperwork with warranties which all looked good, I gave him a deposit and then it came to the finance.

WEEEELL, I read it carefully and they were going to try to charge me 27% interest, $990 broker fee, $880 security shortfall and about another $400 for setting up the loan, my heart jumped I I thought I'd been had, BUT nicely said PISS OFF and they tried for the next hour or so to tell me how much i needed the car and no one else would lend me the money, I told them I didn't need it that bad, and in the end was lucky enough to get my deposit back. All up the car would have cost double its value if i had done it.

I'm lucky I'm a tight ass as the broker was very big and intimidating and it was a pretty scary experience but I stood up for myself and walked away from the car.

I have now been in Brisbane for over 2 months and still no car with a family, but the bus/train service is very good and I'm lucky enough to have a work vehicle to use after work.

All I can say is BE VERY CAREFUL about loans in OZ!

Cheers
Scott
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theshinenz
I would tend to bring cash, I had a bad experience when I arrived here ins Brisbane ( I am a from NZ ) I thought I really needed a car, I did have a job contract also, the bank wouldn't lend me money until I had been here 3 months, I found a car on ebay worth $7000 that looked good, I had $1000 deposit and the guy said he could organise finance as he was a legal car dealer.

This sounded great so off I went, took the car for a test drive, he said he'd get back to me as to whether I could get finance. The next day I got a call saying it had been approved, woohoo. So I went to his dealership and he had a loan broker as he called him. I went through the paperwork with warranties which all looked good, I gave him a deposit and then it came to the finance.

WEEEELL, I read it carefully and they were going to try to charge me 27% interest, $990 broker fee, $880 security shortfall and about another $400 for setting up the loan, my heart jumped I I thought I'd been had, BUT nicely said PISS OFF and they tried for the next hour or so to tell me how much i needed the car and no one else would lend me the money, I told them I didn't need it that bad, and in the end was lucky enough to get my deposit back. All up the car would have cost double its value if i had done it.

I'm lucky I'm a tight ass as the broker was very big and intimidating and it was a pretty scary experience but I stood up for myself and walked away from the car.

I have now been in Brisbane for over 2 months and still no car with a family, but the bus/train service is very good and I'm lucky enough to have a work vehicle to use after work.

Cheers
Scott
Never ever never ever get a car loan from a used car yard.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

limmykin is an unknown quantity at this point

$30 a day? From the usual hire places or lesser known ones? Any links?

Cheers,

Gav
Try All Age Car Rentals in Surfers Paradise http://www.surfersparadiserentalcars.com/index.php

They do new cars on long term leases around $ 500 a month (which is cheaper than repayments on a car loan) and your lease covers registration and insurance too. have to phone for longterm quotes though but the numbers on the website.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:53 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theshinenz

Cheers
Scott

Exactly the same thing happened to me the other week! It was through the largest non franchise dealer in Brisbane so they were hardly dodgy. They tried taking me to court for 10% of the purchase price when I said no. Luckily I escaped and only lost my $100 deposit!!!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by longreach
Never ever never ever get a car loan from a used car yard.
Don't know what they are like now but you are probably right there.

First car I bought was from a yard,the friendly guy at Commonwealth bank told me they were OK and did good deals.Went there and they were OK (I think).The car was $2400 and I had $2000.As my tax rebate was due in a few months they said just come back with the $400 after I get my rebate.So 3 or 4 months later I went back and gave them the $400.

The next car was financed,I think it was for 5K.Friendly salesman told me the low monthly payments for 4 or 5 yrs.I read the form and saw the interest rate was not written in so I questioned it.Bank rates he said,the important thing is to get you into the car,I'll fill that in later. it should be around 14%,much the same as mortgage rates at the time.

Drove the car away and the finance company sent the paperwork out about 2 weeks later,an interest rate of around 30%.I told them that was not right and they said yes it was,I had signed the forms.

About 18 months later I was fed up paying every month and decided to pay the loan off.Went into Esanda and asked how much it was to pay it out,I think it was $500 more than I had borrowed.When I asked why they said the way loans work is that the interest is paid first so the first few yrs would pay that.Then the loan is paid off.No consumer rights back then so I had been shafted.

I have no doubt the same sharks are around now preying on people new to the country ,they don't know the systems etc. Consumer laws have also come a long way since then.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Having worked in a bank in my youth I always find it funny how folk would be annoyed with a £500 pound arrangement fee but would hhappilypay 15.9% on a 5 year loan.
HKA
x