Skills Expo

Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

ozziemart2b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills Expo

We applied online for an invite to attend the Aus Skills Expo in London. Has anybody had any experience of them. Any info greatly received. Sounds good - but not sure if we will achieve anything as we are with an agent and our application on 'hold' for the moment due to the issues over Pathway D......

On the other hand would they invite me if it wouldnt benefit them and myself?

Will more than likely attend as nothing ventured - nothing gained....but just wondered if anyone else has any further knowledge they could share.

Look forward to any replies.

Cheers.

Martin (by the way I am in the carpet/flooring trade)
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:16 pm
doncaster....to....perth

midds will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Skills Expo

Why wouldnt you benefit them? Your as good as the next person and got as good a chance as anybody.

If your not invited to this one there are plenty of others that you can attend without an invite, although partners are not allowed to this one you can take as many people as you want to the other expo's.

I'm making my O/H go though because he promised me the weekend away. I'll just go shopping

amanda
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

I went to one in Edinburgh last weekend. I always sceptical on these occasions as I've been to some others which were a waste of time.

I must say that I was pleasantly suprised and gained some really useful information on banking/pensions and moving costs.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:01 pm
doncaster....to....perth

midds will become famous soon enough

I went to one in York which is the only one i've been too, didnt rate it I suppose I was expecting something really different. I wouldnt put other people off and I'm glad I went but I dont think I'd go to another.

I'm glad you had a better experience with the one you went to.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Hi All,

My hubby got home before, checked his e-mail, and boom, there was an invite to the London Expo in 2 weeks !!!!

Got to be worth a look if nothing else, what have you got to lose ?

Donna & Pete.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

There are two separate expos doing the rounds at the moment. One is an Australia job opportunities expo - http://www.expo-australia.com/, and the other is a general emigration expo (i.e. for Oz, NZ, Canada & USA) - http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/.

I went to the general emigration expo in Edinburgh last weekend with high hopes, but it wasn't quite what I had imagined. That's not to say it was a waste of time, it just would have suited me better to have gone to the Oz jobs expo - purely because I'm past the stage of deciding whether I want to emigrate, and where to go, etc. I'm now at the stage where I'm trying to find employment.

So if you are in the early stages of your emigration plans, then the general emigration expo has everything you need. If on the other hand you have been through, or are in the middle of, the visa application process and have done your currency, property, pensions, etc, research then personally I wouldn't make the journey. Luckily I am just over the water from Edinburgh so it wasn't a huge deal - but if you're travelling a long way you might be little more miffed (the next one is in London)!

If anyone wants to know anything about the general emigration expo or who was exhibiting - I still have all the leaflets so I'll answer as many questions as I can.

I am seriously considering making the journey to the jobs expo when it goes to Leeds. It's a 5 hour journey but I have family in Doncaster so I could combine it with a visit to see my folks. Ideally I would like to see what companies are exhibiting. The website only lists roles that are being recruited for.

Dazster
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

zimkeith is an unknown quantity at this point

If anyone wants to know anything about the general emigration expo or who was exhibiting - I still have all the leaflets so I'll answer as many questions as I can.

Dazster
Were any of the companies exhibiting at the general emigration expo offering sponsorship? Or was it mainly cpmanies offering relocation services, packing, financial planning etc.
Thanks
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zimkeith

Dazster
Were any of the companies exhibiting at the general emigration expo offering sponsorship? Or was it mainly cpmanies offering relocation services, packing, financial planning etc.
Thanks
If you mean companies who would support you on an employer sponsored visa, then there were none as far as I could see. There were no companies looking to directly recruit people for work at the Edinburgh expo - sponsored or unsponsored. There was one company called Hire A Migrant - who calimed to do recruitment but wouldn't take my CV, and one other called Workforce Solutions - who were a bit more approachable and asked me to mail them an electronic copy of my CV. I can give you a complete list of who was there if you like later tonight (I'll dig out the program) - but it was pretty much removals, financial, visas, medicals, etc?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dazster
If you mean companies who would support you on an employer sponsored visa, then there were none as far as I could see. There were no companies looking to directly recruit people for work at the Edinburgh expo - sponsored or unsponsored. There was one company called Hire A Migrant - who calimed to do recruitment but wouldn't take my CV, and one other called Workforce Solutions - who were a bit more approachable and asked me to mail them an electronic copy of my CV. I can give you a complete list of who was there if you like later tonight (I'll dig out the program) - but it was pretty much removals, financial, visas, medicals, etc?
That would be great, thanks
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ok. I'll only list the ones that are relevant to Oz (otherwise I'll be here all night!). Also I've given each company a generalized category - just cos I'm helpful like that
If you want a fuller explanation of some of these then give me a shout. Not all of them though please mate - it's Friday and I've got 24 beers to get through by midnight. I won't be able to type after that
  • XCHANGE BUSINESS - currency exchange
  • PSS INTERNATIONAL REMOVALS - self explanatory
  • VISA-GO EMIGRATION - visa agency
  • AUSTRALIAN RELOCATION - emigration packages
  • THIS IS AUSTRALIA - visa agency
  • ANZ - bank
  • BRYDEN MEDICAL SERVICES - visa medicals
  • HIFX - currency exchange
  • NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK GROUP - self explanatory
  • HIRE A MIGRANT - CV development and job search services (allegedly!)
  • OVERSEAS EMIGRATION - visa agency
  • DOREE BONNER INTERNATIONAL - removals
  • POMS AND HDC INTERNATIONAL MIGRATION SERVICES - emigration packages
  • AUSTRALIAN MIGRATION AND VISA LAWYERS - visa agency
  • ANGLO PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL - removals
  • IMMIGRATION2OZ.COM - visa agency
  • GOVERNMENT OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA - on the spot conditional state sponsorship (might actually be of interest to you, zimkeith)
  • DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH WA - medical jobs recruitment
  • ADELAIDE, SA - please, please, please come to Adelaide!
  • MONEYCORP - currency exchange
  • ALLIED PICKFORDS - removals
  • WILLIS BRAZOLOT & CO - career search and resettlement (I never noticed this lot!)
  • CURRENCIES DIRECT - currency exchange
  • HALO FINANCIAL - currency exchange
  • WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (QLD) - employment agency
  • COMMONWEALTH BANK - self explanatory
  • GLOBAL PENSION TRANSFERS - self explanatory
  • SIDDALLS - pension transfer

Cheers,
Dazster
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Ok. I'll only list the ones that are relevant to Oz (otherwise I'll be here all night!). Also I've given each company a generalized category - just cos I'm helpful like that

Cheers,
Dazster

Dazster
Thanks so much for info - have shortlisted from your list and sent the OH off already so that he has time to make the recruitment one in London this afternoon.
Thanks again
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zimkeith
Dazster
Thanks so much for info - have shortlisted from your list and sent the OH off already so that he has time to make the recruitment one in London this afternoon.
Thanks again
I didn't know there was one today. Is it one of those invitation only ones?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

I didn't know there was one today. Is it one of those invitation only ones?

There is one on today and tomorrow at the Ibis hotel in Earls Court.
www.work-worldwide.com is their website. Then in Manchester next weekend.
Have no idea what it is like but it is specifically for recruitment
Hope this helps