Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car & LGV (HGV) Licence

Car & LGV (HGV) Licence

Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:15 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of
Default Car & LGV (HGV) Licence

Hi All,

i have seen threads which tell you how to change your UK car licence over to an Aus one and it seems simple enough (theory test and proof of licence), but what about a UK LGV licence, how is that changed to an Aus version and what categories/classes does a UK Artic (class C+CE) allow you to drive when converted.

Much Appreciated

Darren
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car & LGV (HGV) Licence

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
Hi All,

i have seen threads which tell you how to change your UK car licence over to an Aus one and it seems simple enough (theory test and proof of licence), but what about a UK LGV licence, how is that changed to an Aus version and what categories/classes does a UK Artic (class C+CE) allow you to drive when converted.

Much Appreciated

Darren

A car licence you can just swap over, no theory test anymore - they scrapped that about 3 years ago.

As for a HGV licence, you will need to do some testing...where are you heading and I'll get the info for you
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:33 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
A car licence you can just swap over, no theory test anymore - they scrapped that about 3 years ago.

As for a HGV licence, you will need to do some testing...where are you heading and I'll get the info for you
Hi Wendy,

we are going to Bathurst NSW (hopefully) around August/Sept (subject to visa, I HATE WAITING ).

also my son has just passed his car test here in the UK, will he have to obey the "P" plate rules?

Many Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,

we are going to Bathurst NSW (hopefully) around August/Sept (subject to visa, I HATE WAITING ).

also my son has just passed his car test here in the UK, will he have to obey the "P" plate rules?

Many Thanks

Yes, your son will have to obey the P Plate rules.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...trictions.html

General rules for International Drivers here:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

Can't find much info on how to convert an international truck licence but here's the HGV page: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehicles/index.html or ask in the Truckers part of the forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,

Many Thanks
Hi,

We are in the ACT and hubby had a class 1 in UK - now has a semi licence - basically had to 'pay' for it. which means you have to re-do with an examination centre - approx hours for him was 4 hours, and then they gave it him.

Think it will be the same in other states too - hubby says it was a piece of p*** and any bugger could have passed it.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:54 am
Use time wisely

Thanks Wendy

looks like i have some reading to do
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:55 am
Use time wisely

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi,

We are in the ACT and hubby had a class 1 in UK - now has a semi licence - basically had to 'pay' for it. which means you have to re-do with an examination centre - approx hours for him was 4 hours, and then they gave it him.

Think it will be the same in other states too - hubby says it was a piece of p*** and any bugger could have passed it.

Thanks SASBEAR
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:41 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sasbear
Sounds about right - 75% of truckies here are bad drivers IMHO. What doesn't help is they are not limited like in the UK, and you easily pass them going up hill, then they come tearing past on the down hill etc etc. Then if you are in front of them on the downhill, they sit on your rear bumper flashing their lights. Its quite scary in the dark and wet.