Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

car insyrance in Aus (W.A)

car insyrance in Aus (W.A)

Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:19 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default car insyrance in Aus (W.A)

Hi all, just a quick one.

Firstly, we are buying a 1998 5-door Rav4 for $12000 tomorrow, and I`d like some quick replies to places I can ring/go online in the morning to insure with. Been to a few websites, and 3 of them were run by Budget (all with diff names of course). Also to SGIO (more expensive by $50) and RAC (filled in a form so someone MAY get back to us... very out of date they seem).

Secondly as you know (or don`t) we lived here 10 or so years ago, so alot of the places seem quite familiar and even exactly the same (stuck in a time warp... like the music on the radio here), but the people (so far) are SO much friendlier and courteous than I remember.

We opened a bank account on our 1st proper day here with Police & Nurses (no fees really).... dead easy.

We registered with Medicare the same day.... dead easy. They just needed the shipping contract and other stuff to prove we were staying in the country, not just here for a holiday with free medical cover. The lady was really nice and helpful.

Next day went to Centrelink to sign on for job hunting benefit and family benefit / rent assistance etc. We didn`t have a clue obviously and expected it to be like the UK where they don`t tell you jack. But here the (aboriginal) lady was amazingly nice and friendly and so was the lady who interviewed us. Lot`s of paperwork to fill out so we are going back tomorrow to finish up.

Service at the places we have gone to eat (no restaurants... just food courts in shopping centres) has been excellent.... so polite and friendly and helpful you wouldn`t believe it. We`re used to some miserable sods in the UK a fair bit of the time with no customer care.

Buying a car... people will actually come round to you if it`s on the way to somewhere else they were going... (how we saw the Rav4).

Honestly, we`re suprised and impressed. And I`m Australian.

The only thing I can complain about (so far) is how bloody cold it is.

More soon, after we`ve sorted the insurance etc out.

btw we are in Beckenham, which is south of the river, near Kenwick.

Stay cool,

Gary
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:55 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: car insyrance in Aus (W.A)

Originally Posted by Stormz

Firstly, we are buying a 1998 5-door Rav4 for $12000 tomorrow, and I`d like some quick replies to places I can ring/go online in the morning to insure with. Been to a few websites, and 3 of them were run by Budget (all with diff names of course). Also to SGIO (more expensive by $50) and RAC (filled in a form so someone MAY get back to us... very out of date they seem).

Secondly as you know (or don`t) we lived here 10 or so years ago, so alot of the places seem quite familiar and even exactly the same (stuck in a time warp... like the music on the radio here), but the people (so far) are SO much friendlier and courteous than I remember.

We opened a bank account on our 1st proper day here with Police & Nurses (no fees really).... dead easy.

We registered with Medicare the same day.... dead easy. They just needed the shipping contract and other stuff to prove we were staying in the country, not just here for a holiday with free medical cover. The lady was really nice and helpful.

Next day went to Centrelink to sign on for job hunting benefit and family benefit / rent assistance etc. We didn`t have a clue obviously and expected it to be like the UK where they don`t tell you jack. But here the (aboriginal) lady was amazingly nice and friendly and so was the lady who interviewed us. Lot`s of paperwork to fill out so we are going back tomorrow to finish up.

Service at the places we have gone to eat (no restaurants... just food courts in shopping centres) has been excellent.... so polite and friendly and helpful you wouldn`t believe it. We`re used to some miserable sods in the UK a fair bit of the time with no customer care.

Buying a car... people will actually come round to you if it`s on the way to somewhere else they were going... (how we saw the Rav4).

Stay cool,

Gary
Can't help you I'm afraid but I just thought I would bump this up for you if you wouldn't mind doing me the favour of bumping up "plumbing licences in WA" Creep creep
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Gary
I used RAC over the phone. All details given by phone and insured on the spot.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:19 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stormz!

Sounds like you're doing well, good. Well, you can complain about the cold, because it just is (#&^#* cold! :scared:

A big RAC office is in Maddington btw, might be just as easy going there(on Albany Highway, more towards the Gosnells side, on the left). (we're with RAC too)

Glad to see nothing's changed with you using race to describe people, but at least it's in a positive way this time I guess

What do you think of Beckenham btw?

Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Hi,
Try these http://www.budgetdirect.com.au I have insured 2 cars and they were heaps (my new ozzie phrase) cheaper for me.
My neighbour's quote was 50% cheaper then their existing company.
Hint: excess is pretty low as standard in Oz so ask to increase the voluntary excess to say $500. Makes a big difference.

Cheers

Stay cool,

Gary