Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

car insurance costs?

car insurance costs?

Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default car insurance costs?

Could someone give me a comparison on car ins costs please? Also whats the score regarding uk no claims bonuses? If they have them, what type of discounts to they have?

many thanks

Chris
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:11 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance costs?

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Could someone give me a comparison on car ins costs please? Also whats the score regarding uk no claims bonuses? If they have them, what type of discounts to they have?

many thanks

Chris
Hi Chris
The Aussies honour the UK no claim discount, so bring proof.

Our Toyota Echo (Yaris) is around $400 full comp with all the extras insurance companies offer.

You can get a quote from the RAC website, plus many others...
https://getinsurance.rac.com.au/weba...MTQuoteServlet

All cars have to have 'Reggo' just like road tax. And the reggo also include 3rd party isurance. I have a 1971 Beetle soft top with just the reggo insurance.
Neil.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Hi Chris
The Aussies honour the UK no claim discount, so bring proof.

Our Toyota Echo (Yaris) is around $400 full comp with all the extras insurance companies offer.

You can get a quote from the RAC website, plus many others...
https://getinsurance.rac.com.au/weba...MTQuoteServlet

All cars have to have 'Reggo' just like road tax. And the reggo also include 3rd party isurance. I have a 1971 Beetle soft top with just the reggo insurance.
Neil.
Yeah cheaper here - I pay Approx $400 fully comp for ford falcon
and even my 18 year old - who has a mitsubishi lancer sedan and has only been driving for 1 year and on P's has found 3rd party for $500 per annum or fully comp for $1750 per annum
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Much cheaper here, in our case more than 40% ($525 for a new Golf TDi). They recognise UK NCB & it makes a big difference to the premium.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Let me just say...HOLY CR*P!!!!! I just checked out that website and was quoted only $477 pa for a brand new Mazda. In Canada, I have been driving for 26 years claim free...not even a parking ticket and presently I pay $1590 pa. My insurance is up for renewal in April and I have shopped around for cheaper, but this is as low as it goes! With the money I save on insurance, I can get a better car
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Neil.
Note that the "Rego Insurance" also called "Compulsory Third Party, CTP, Greenslip" is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle.

It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury and NOT damage to other property cars etc.

Many Insurers will accept your word that you have proof of No Claims Discount from the UK, but in the event of an accident, it is highly likely that they will want to see the proof prior to paying out the claim.
My advise is to send a copy of it to the Insurer, so they have it on file.

My current Insurance works out at:
Comp - $393.00

With the rego cost of $543.25 consisting of
Rego Fees - $237.05 and
CTP Insurance - $306.20

So Total Insurance coming to $393.00 + $306.20 = $699.20
with real Rego cost of $237.05

There is also an option for Third Party which covers property damage aswell.

Driving Info

Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I've just yesterday renewed the comprehensive on a year-old Honda Integra: changed the insurer due to the cost and the new premium is $601. Add in the $226 CTP and the total of around £356 is about the same as the UK in this case. I keep seeing how cheap other's insurance is but I have yet to experience it!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
I've just yesterday renewed the comprehensive on a year-old Honda Integra: changed the insurer due to the cost and the new premium is $601. Add in the $226 CTP and the total of around £356 is about the same as the UK in this case. I keep seeing how cheap other's insurance is but I have yet to experience it!
Interesting... I just ran a quote with my insurer, for a 2005 Honda Integra, and the cost came up at $708. That's $100 higher than yours !!!

Yet I pay only $393 for my comp cover on a 4 yr old 3 litre v6.

Type of car, as well as value and location, makes a BIG difference.

Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:44 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris and farideh

many thanks

Chris
Our car insurance is about the same price as it was in the Uk for fully comp. Shop around though because some prices were quite high! My full no claims was valid here too...just bring a letter from your UK insurance co over with you.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Interesting... I just ran a quote with my insurer, for a 2005 Honda Integra, and the cost came up at $708. That's $100 higher than yours !!!

Yet I pay only $393 for my comp cover on a 4 yr old 3 litre v6.

Type of car, as well as value and location, makes a BIG difference.
Oh, quite: but I think I live in one of the lowest rated areas of the country. I did get a quote from Budget which was $500-odd but wanted to put the two cars on one insurer for the time being.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
Oh, quite: but I think I live in one of the lowest rated areas of the country. I did get a quote from Budget which was $500-odd but wanted to put the two cars on one insurer for the time being.
I thought I lived in one of the cheapest areas too, especially after my premiums dropped after moving from NSW

I am considering switching to Budget myself, as their comparison quote, for this years renewal, would trim about $50 off my current premium.

Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:53 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: car insurance costs?

Could someone provide me with a sample postcode and area in say Bayside Brisbane and Mornington, Victoria, so that I can get a few sample online quotes?

Also can you suggest an online quote website or 2?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Could someone provide me with a sample postcode and area in say Bayside Brisbane and Mornington, Victoria, so that I can get a few sample online quotes?

Also can you suggest an online quote website or 2?

Thanks

Buzzy
Brisbane Bayside 4163, 4164, 4165 (amongst a few others)
Mornington, Victoria 3931

Online Quotes:
http://www.aami.com.au/
http://www.budgetdirect.com.au/

Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: car insurance costs?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Brisbane Bayside 4163, 4164, 4165 (amongst a few others)
Mornington, Victoria 3931

Online Quotes:
http://www.aami.com.au/
http://www.budgetdirect.com.au/
Thanks ABC, can't give you any more Karma as I'm not allowed to.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:37 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

We got a quote yesterday for our 2 cars for $539.00! OK they are old cars - but still - that's fully comp - I was impressed! (Jackaroo and Susuki Sierra)