Cairns!!!!!!

Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

rich8509 will become famous soon enoughrich8509 will become famous soon enough
Default Cairns!!!!!!

Hi All,

We are considering Cairns QLD, was just wandering if anybody has any advice or experiences of it.
Any good websites.

cheers
Rich
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:13 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns!!!!!!

One very notable member of the forum lives up that way ... dare say they'll be along any minute
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:13 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich8509
Hi All,

We are considering Cairns QLD, was just wandering if anybody has any advice or experiences of it.
Any good websites.

cheers
Rich
stayed in and around cairns for four weeks last year
really enjoyed it
try getting hold of bix as he lives there
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
stayed in and around cairns for four weeks last year
really enjoyed it
try getting hold of bix as he lives there
Cheers Guys, i'll wait for his presence
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably smell him before you see him.

All the BULLSH*T he types!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Any good websites.

cheers
Rich

Bixie is your man. i mean lion, Bixie is your lion
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to all

Hi All,

Any good websites.

cheers
Rich
Its hot, its dam hot. its bloody hot. and thats in winter!!!!
Jem
Old Mar 7th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jempower
Its hot, its dam hot. its bloody hot. and thats in winter!!!!
Jem

Not as hot as Perth or Brisbane etc. Cairns is a nice place. If you are concerned out the heat don't be, it's the humidity in the summer that can be a bit wearing. Other than that, great place. We go up there every now and again for a weekend.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rabc
Not as hot as Perth or Brisbane etc. Cairns is a nice place. If you are concerned out the heat don't be, it's the humidity in the summer that can be a bit wearing. Other than that, great place. We go up there every now and again for a weekend.
Cheers Rabc.

Where is the Lion?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Rabc.

Where is the Lion?
He might have been working most of the day. And possibly eating his Zebra right about now. Give him time although his boss would also be able to help but it's not often she gets on here
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:28 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rabc
I did wonder about that comment. Cairns I have always found hotter than here and the geography of being closer to the equator and past the tropic kinda made me curious :-

http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/...20050120.shtml

In 2004 the average temperature in Cairns was 29 degrees compared to Brisbanes 25. Thats quite a lot warmer I reckon. Oh and probably worth noting that Cairns gets about three times the level of rain compared to Brisbane.

Do bear in mind that Brisbane is huge compared to Cairns with a population here of about 1.6 million compared to 120,000 there. I think Cairns is a wonderful place to vacation but I'm not sure that I could live there in the long term. Of course others find it heaven I'm sure - it sure is lovely around that part.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

We seriously looked at Cairns before we moved to Darwin, to the point where we were seeking jobs etc. Now that I have lived in Darwin and visited Cairns, am I ever glad we ended up in Darwin! Cairns proper is a total tourist town and, having living in a tourist town before, I know it takes a certain person to enjoy a constant swarm of partying visitors. There is no decent foreshore--just swamp--so walking for miles on the beach like we can do in Darwin is not an option in Cairns. The worse thing, we found, is that it is a very cut up town--pockets of houses here and there, so you actually have to commute to town for work, quite long distances too. And of course, since it is the place a lot of people want to live in, houses, for what you get, are ridiculously priced, but what else is new in Australia. The heat isn't factored into my comparison since Darwin is very very hot too.

My two cents...
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
We seriously looked at Cairns before we moved to Darwin, to the point where we were seeking jobs etc. Now that I have lived in Darwin and visited Cairns, am I ever glad we ended up in Darwin! Cairns proper is a total tourist town and, having living in a tourist town before, I know it takes a certain person to enjoy a constant swarm of partying visitors. There is no decent foreshore--just swamp--so walking for miles on the beach like we can do in Darwin is not an option in Cairns. The worse thing, we found, is that it is a very cut up town--pockets of houses here and there, so you actually have to commute to town for work, quite long distances too. And of course, since it is the place a lot of people want to live in, houses, for what you get, are ridiculously priced, but what else is new in Australia. The heat isn't factored into my comparison since Darwin is very very hot too.

My two cents...
Thank you, one of things i was worried about was te foreshore for the kids i couldn't find one descent picture on the web

Rich
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,

Any good websites.

cheers
Rich
Like anywhere it depends on what you are looking for.
L a i d b a c k is the best description of Cairns. A lot of businesses close at 5 on week days or 11ish on Sat which is a PIB. I assume those people want a lifestyle too so I go with the flow.

Geographically it is spread out due to the mountain ranges around it. The flatter inner city is cycle commutable for most, whilst the outer areas are for the more committed. 3 cars is a traffic jamb.

Houses on elevated sites cost more than on the flat due to views and breezes. Plenty of 3 bed houses in the $300k range, new 4 bed 2 bath in the 430-470K and plenty of Mil$ stuff if you want that. We felt house costs were slightly higher than Brisbane.

The northern beaches is where you go if you want sand (no surf). No swimming in open water at the moment due to stingers and a few stray crocs.

It's supposedly the wet season which is a pain after Brisbane's drier summer days.

Yes there are tourists & they can really make your day if you enjoy watching the behaviour of others. if you want to see tourists go to tourist places.

My teenage children have settled easily into high school. This is partly due to the subject choices and out of school activities. There is also plenty of sporting choices, too. Of course to be a bloke you need a tinny behind your Landcruiser so you can go fishing.

Building work is easing slightly at the moment but there is still plenty of activity. Seems to be a skills shortage in the area. It cant be that bad a place if the population is 100,000-120,000.

WW
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

dedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the rough

Bix has provided us with these wonderful links before, check them out. We will be arriving in Cairns middle of April.

Here are some websites you may find useful....
http://www.studycairns.com.au/
http://www.cairnsconnect.com.au/
http://www.cairns-australia.com/
http://www.qld.gov.au/
http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/
http://www.tropicalaustralia.com.au...60-FC75BD815DAD
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=927
http://www.arta.com.au/qldmaps/cairns.html
http://www.sunbus.com.au/tt_cairns.php

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.