Car insurance

Old May 6th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance

Just wondering on what peoples experiences are with quotes. Do you find it cheaper or dearer than UK/Ireland.

Second hand cars over there seem to be ridiculously dear compared to prices over here. Although this is mainly to do with the quality of roads and the life span of cars. But, I will be needing one and so need to know on where to look for good deals and best cover. Probably a bit vague I suppose. Do any companies do national cover or is it just region based?
Old May 7th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Oh right, noone bothers with insurance in Australia
Old May 7th 2008, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

swimmingsaintee will become famous soon enough

Hi, my sil in perth told us to budget for $150 p month insurance for two pretty new decent cars Hope this helps
Old May 7th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by swimmingsaintee
Hi, my sil in perth told us to budget for $150 p month insurance for two pretty new decent cars Hope this helps
Yipppeee, I got a reply. Hey thanks. Thats pretty cheap. Although it is Perth and not Sydney.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As usual, whether it's cheaper or dearer than the UK or Ireland is irrelevant. You can't get Aus car insurance in the UK or visa versa so you really have to try and stop thinking about how much stuff is in comparison as soon as poss.

We are with NRMA and have found them really competitive but off the top of my head I can't remember what we paid. They've also been superb dealing with claims and sorting out a right off. Unfortunately, regardless of what some people say, it's another one of those expenses you just have to bear. Personally, we never had any luck in finding cheap quotes over the internet, I just sat with the phone to my ear for an afternoon, going through the yellow pages
Old May 7th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
As usual, whether it's cheaper or dearer than the UK or Ireland is irrelevant. You can't get Aus car insurance in the UK or visa versa so you really have to try and stop thinking about how much stuff is in comparison as soon as poss.

We are with NRMA and have found them really competitive but off the top of my head I can't remember what we paid. They've also been superb dealing with claims and sorting out a right off. Unfortunately, regardless of what some people say, it's another one of those expenses you just have to bear. Personally, we never had any luck in finding cheap quotes over the internet, I just sat with the phone to my ear for an afternoon, going through the yellow pages
How is it irrelevant? If its cheaper then it makes my move cheap. But thanks for the info.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
How is it irrelevant? If its cheaper then it makes my move cheap. But thanks for the info.
It's irrelevant for the reason I gave. If you're planning your move on the price of your car insurance then I grant you, it's relevant but if you're coming regardless then it's irrelevant. Sorry, not being awkward but everyone, without exception I should think, converts when they first get here and either moan like crazy about the price of something or cheers because something appears cheaper.

There is stuff you HAVE to pay for, and when you're earning the Aussie dollar, whether you're talking about the price of a pint (or litre) of milk or your insurance, you meet it or you lose something you don't need. You come out with as much as you can manage, no more, no less.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's irrelevant for the reason I gave. If you're planning your move on the price of your car insurance then I grant you, it's relevant but if you're coming regardless then it's irrelevant. Sorry, not being awkward but everyone, without exception I should think, converts when they first get here and either moan like crazy about the price of something or cheers because something appears cheaper.

There is stuff you HAVE to pay for, and when you're earning the Aussie dollar, whether you're talking about the price of a pint (or litre) of milk or your insurance, you meet it or you lose something you don't need. You come out with as much as you can manage, no more, no less.
Ok but I think you're going off on a bit of a tangent. I wasnt looking for a reason to moan about the cost of things. Just to get an idea of what they will cost. Insurance is something I need to sort out as soon as I hit Australian soil pretty much and so need to know what I'm in for. The cheaper the better but its still something I have to get.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Ok but I think you're going off on a bit of a tangent. I wasnt looking for a reason to moan about the cost of things. Just to get an idea of what they will cost. Insurance is something I need to sort out as soon as I hit Australian soil pretty much and so need to know what I'm in for. The cheaper the better but its still something I have to get.
No I get it It's just a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' query. I've just looked at ours and we're paying $500+ for a Mazda Dual Cab 2.6l and $800+ for a 2.4l CR-V. We're both over 25 and are the only two named on both policies. That's with full protected NCD. My old Toyota Corolla 1.6 was about $450 I think but they gave me a damn good price for righting it off
Old May 7th 2008, 10:54 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You pay CTP ( comp third party ) as part of your annual rego renewal , and then other insurance is optional.

Go http://www.nrma.com.au/ to get sample quotes.

Other companies

www.aami.com.au
www.suncorp.com.au
http://www.budgetdirect.com.au

Some quotes I got last year for So far, for a new tucson in brisbane full comp for two 40yr drivers with full NCD

445 RACQ
460 NRMA
501 Suncorp
486 Allianz
771 ING
579 AMII
610 WQBE
Old May 7th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by datamile
You pay CTP ( comp third party ) as part of your annual rego renewal , and then other insurance is optional.

Go http://www.nrma.com.au/ to get sample quotes.

Other companies

www.aami.com.au
www.suncorp.com.au
http://www.budgetdirect.com.au

Some quotes I got last year for So far, for a new tucson in brisbane full comp for two 40yr drivers with full NCD

445 RACQ
460 NRMA
501 Suncorp
486 Allianz
771 ING
579 AMII
610 WQBE
Exactly what I was looking for. I just think this is vital info for people moving.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

My insurance for Ford Focus 2.0 in an inner Brisbane suburb with protected no claims, no windscreen excess, no drivers under 30 allowed is just under $650.

That's with Comminsure (part of Commonwealth Bank).

<vent>
I can't WARN you off them enough - absolutely friggin incompetent. I have spent 3 months talking to numpties trying to get them to fix a billing issue - they suck!!! :curse:
</vent>
Old May 7th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
My insurance for Ford Focus 2.0 in an inner Brisbane suburb with protected no claims, no windscreen excess, no drivers under 30 allowed is just under $650.

That's with Comminsure (part of Commonwealth Bank).

<vent>
I can't WARN you off them enough - absolutely friggin incompetent. I have spent 3 months talking to numpties trying to get them to fix a billing issue - they suck!!! :curse:
</vent>
Oh right, you guys dont have Quinn Direct over there? lol Probably the biggest cow boys in insurance going. You got a good premium though. lol
Old May 7th 2008, 11:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, you guys dont have Quinn Direct over there? lol Probably the biggest cow boys in insurance going. You got a good premium though. lol
No...and we don't have Sheila's Wheels ads either.....thank god!!
Old May 7th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
No...and we don't have Sheila's Wheels ads either.....thank god!!
Aw man I cant wait lol