Car insurance

Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:29 am
Just Joined

tooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance

Does anyone have any good links for car insurance companies or brokers in Oz? I've tried searching quickly on this forum but I couldn't find anything...maybe I just didn't look hard enough. But if you're got anything, i would appreciate it
Also, is the car insurance just like it is in the Uk ie 3rd party fire and theft or fully comprehensive?

Thx
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

It's a bit confusing to start with: before you register the car you have to have Compulsory third Party insurance (CTP, known as the green slip). This insures you ONLY against claims for 3rd party bodily injury - NOT property, cars etc.

Then you purchase your "own" insurance - fire & theft, comprehensive or whatever - not necessarily form the same company.

You will find that the CTP insurance is much the same price from all insurers and they have the same conditions; take the lowest. The rest is up to your evaluation of the conditions and premium.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just searched through my bookmarks and have found these.

I've no idea if they're any good - just ones which I've marked to look at when the time comes.

AAMI Online Insurance Quote

Budget Direct

RACQ Insurance
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tooter
Does anyone have any good links for car insurance companies or brokers in Oz? I've tried searching quickly on this forum but I couldn't find anything...maybe I just didn't look hard enough. But if you're got anything, i would appreciate it
Also, is the car insurance just like it is in the Uk ie 3rd party fire and theft or fully comprehensive?

Thx
There are loads if you can get hold of the yellow pages (I'm guessing most will show on yellowpages.com.au). Budget give a lot of good offers but RACV (version of RAC) beat their price when I confirmed clean accident history and a member of RACV (only costs $20 to be a personal member with no car involved).

A couple of differences with the insurance. Sometimes you don't have to proved no claims history, the phone call is recorded when you say you're clear and then you only have to prove it if there's an accident. Also the car is insured and not the driver so if you want to lend the car to someone as long as they're above the lower age limit you've set, you should be OK.

Happy hunting - It's still as mind-numbing searching for insurance over here.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I went with AAMI for my renewal this month: they were only ten or fifteen dollars more than the lowest and give a lifelong NCB protection if you start with a good record (which in Oz seems to be no more than 1 smash in three years....... Make of that what you will!)