Car Insurance

Old Jul 29th 2004, 4:10 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Car Insurance

In England I have a full no claims discount entitlement on my car insurance. Can I use this when I get to Aus?

What's the score with car insurance in Aus? Is it as expensive as here?
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:27 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally posted by elksa
In England I have a full no claims discount entitlement on my car insurance. Can I use this when I get to Aus?

Yes make sure you bring proof of your no claims bonus with you. Yes I'm afraid its just as expensive. AAMI have a deal just now though, you decide how much you would pay if in an accident & they price your insurance accordingly. So if you agree to pay first $1000 your insurance is a helluva lot cheaper than someone only willing to pay first $100.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

sumpti is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by elksa

If you have been with a particular broker/insurance co for a particularly long time, you could also ask them for a ltr stating that you have been claim free for the period that you have been with them. It sometimes helps.....I work in the industry and we get asked quite often! Hope this helps
Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Yes I'm afraid its just as expensive.

Really?? Has it gone up THAT much??

When I left 3 1/2 yrs ago, I was paying the same for fully comprehensive in Melbourne in $$ as what I am paying here for 3rd party in ££'s....and thats with full no claim....

:scared:
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:29 pm
ABCDiamond

To get an online quote try AAMI here

I pay $392 with AAMI Fully Comp, with max lifetime no claims, $350 excess, for a standard 2000cc car.. (But it was $766 in Sydney, same details & same insurer)

And also remember the Compulsory Third party cover is extra ($357 for mine), and, while I have the figures available, registration is $225. (CTP & Registration were very similar in Sydney. CTP- $350 & Reg - $210 )

Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

I pay $392 with AAMI Fully Comp, with max lifetime no claims, $350 excess, for a standard 2000cc car.. (But it was $766 in Sydney, same details & same insurer)

And also remember the Compulsory Third party cover is extra ($357 for mine), and, while I have the figures available, registration is $225. (CTP & Registration were very similar in Sydney. CTP- $350 & Reg - $210 )

Yeah, see growing up in Oz...you never really break rego down like that...CTP + Rego...we just look at it as Rego over all...

Insurance is then seperate....This is the part that I was worried about after what Bordy posted....but from what you say, its about what I remember...

I am paying £300ish for just Third Party over here.....quite a bit of difference

But then again, you look at Car Tax at £110 (for my car) + the insurance £300....it doesnt work out too much different
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:35 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

We pay $350 with HSBC fully comp full no claims (hubbys no claims got me max discount on mine aswell as we are both with HSBC) that is on a Hyundai Excel 1.5 car

Hubby pays about .50c more a month and he has a SAAB 2.3l 91 model.

We found it far cheaper here than the UK. Our registration is just under $500 a year from memory.

We are on the Mornington Peninsula nr Melbourne.

We used our no claims from the UK to get our discount should say hubbys no claims!

Our excess is $150 if we let anyone else drive it is $500

Jo

Last edited by joh117; Jul 29th 2004 at 10:39 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Hels
Yeah, see growing up in Oz...you never really break rego down like that...CTP + Rego...we just look at it as Rego over all...
In NSW the two were separate, but up here in QLD its combined on the one rego charge (although split up so you can see what each costs).

AAMI gave my wife a full NCD also, based on her being an insured driver on my car.

Old Jul 29th 2004, 11:29 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Bordy
Yes I'm afraid its just as expensive.
Is it......?

I've got a 1999 Landcruiser 100.

It cost me 423GBP (at todays rates)for fully comp insurance, protected NCB, $350 excess. That's including the rego by the way, ie that's the lot, nothing else to pay. I do have a full NCB that I transferred from the UK.

So to do a like for like comparison of UK costs you need to take the cost of insurance, road tax, mot and add the lot up. So road tax & mot cost about 200 quid, meaning you've got to insure this car for 223 quid in the UK.

I don't think so......