School Question

Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

RichnKim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Question

Schooling question. My sister is applying for an employee sponsered type visa cannot remember exactly which one but it is only a temporary visa. She has three children who are school aged. Does anybody know whether she will have to pay for there schooling ?

Rgds

Rich
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:04 am
Just Joined

cliff and kay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rich;
we're here on a 457 work visa (temporary resident) and had no problem putting our son into the local school. Didn't have to pay anything other than usual fees for school uniform, books etc. We brought over from the UK an up-to-date school report, letter of recommendation from previous headmaster, medical records etc. A 15 minute interview with Mum, Dad and of course, the child and he was in. Living in the catchment area for the school is also an issue but it really couldn't have been easier. Goes without saying though, private system costs but we're more than satisfied and Michael loves it there. They did everything they could to help him settle in.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Cliff
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Cliff I will forward the good news on.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Question

What state are they going to live in?
That will make a difference.

Jeremy

Originally posted by RichnKim
Schooling question. My sister is applying for an employee sponsered type visa cannot remember exactly which one but it is only a temporary visa. She has three children who are school aged. Does anybody know whether she will have to pay for there schooling ?

Rgds

Rich
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jeremy

Sydney NSW

Rgds

Rich
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but in NSW most temporary residents are charged school fees.

The policy in Victoria is different (as far as I know) - hence the other post.

They need to verify the exact terms (including amounts) on the NSW Education Dept website, but it's likely to be a substantial amount per year. If they're temp residents, is the employer going to cover this?

Jeremy

Originally posted by RichnKim
Hi Jeremy

Sydney NSW

Rgds

Rich
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jeremy

I have forwarded her the link to this thread.

Rgds
Rich
Old Jul 29th 2004, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Beano is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jeremy
Am I right in thinking that we will be paying school fees in Adelaide if we go on a SIR Visa? if so, will we pay for the 2 yrs we are temp and also the next 2 yrs waiting for PR status?
thanx very much
Sam xx:scared:
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

You need to check with the South Australians, but my understanding is that SIR visa holders will not be liable for school fees in that state.

Different state and all that ....
Uni fees are federal so a different matter.

Although NSW hasn't clarified its position on SIR holders yet - it will have to produce an exemption to its normal rules on temp residents.

I'm not sure where you get the 2+2 for PR from, normally you should be getting PR after 2 years or so.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Beano
Hi Jeremy
Am I right in thinking that we will be paying school fees in Adelaide if we go on a SIR Visa? if so, will we pay for the 2 yrs we are temp and also the next 2 yrs waiting for PR status?
thanx very much
Sam xx:scared:
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jeremy

the 2+2 comes from the understanding that under the SIR which is a 3 year temp visa after 2 years you can then apply for a "state sponsored PR visa". Moving to this visa means that you have a further 2 years (out of 5) in which to claim permanant residency.

this is a concern for us as we believe that we could end up being on a temp status for 4 to 5 years using the SIR route!!

Beano
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

State sponsored PR is PR. I'm not sure what else you think it is.

You spend 2 years or so on SIR, which is temporary, and then move to PR.

Although if it's PR via the RSMS there is an obligation to stay with the sponsoring employer for 2 years, and STNI carries an obligation to stay in the sponsoring state for 2 years also. However this does not affect the fact you are PRs and the time counts for citizenship etc

Jeremy

Originally posted by Beano
Jeremy

the 2+2 comes from the understanding that under the SIR which is a 3 year temp visa after 2 years you can then apply for a "state sponsored PR visa". Moving to this visa means that you have a further 2 years (out of 5) in which to claim permanant residency.

this is a concern for us as we believe that we could end up being on a temp status for 4 to 5 years using the SIR route!!

Beano
Old Jul 29th 2004, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jeremy

Ok - forgive me but we are new to the process

We are concerned about our status moving to Aus under the SIR as our status as australians only begins 2 years into a PR visa. If we progress on a SIR then this situation is extended by 2-3 years (the length of the SIR visa).

therefore with this understanidng then the 2+2 would mean 2 years temp + 2 years PR as opposed to qualifying for a place on the STNI or RSMS directly.

if this is the case then we can expect to stay in the state for an extended period of time (2-4 years) using the SIR.

This is a scary prospect to have to stay as a '2nd class citizen' and commit to an employer for 4 years instead of 2 in a new country with your family.

:scared:

Sorry to change the thread slightly but we have children and are trying to gauge what impacts if any we would need to be aware of using the SIR route!! The Word 'Provisional' is used a lot in the government literature.

Beano
Old Jul 29th 2004, 11:53 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, QLD do not charge for state schooling for 457 teporary visa holders.