car insurance

Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:29 am
Go Cubs!!

Garazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question car insurance

I am 23 years old and have no 'no claims' at all.

How much am I looking at for insurance on a 1978 Ford Falcon Saloon?

The website tells me $400 3rd party FF but this seems ludicrously low as I am sure a similar car in the UK would cost me about £1500 to insure?!?!

Regards,

Gary
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car insurance

Originally posted by Garazy

The website tells me $400 3rd party FF but this seems ludicrously low as I am sure a similar car in the UK would cost me about £1500 to insure?!?!

Regards,

Gary
What state are you on about. In NSW the is CTP (compulsory third party) which is bought when you renew the rego and then there is optional comprehensive.

I am with NRMA
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:41 am
Go Cubs!!

Yes it would be NSW
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:44 am

If I remember rightly the CTP was about $300 and the Comp $850 for a 2002 Hyundai Accent, 60% no claims bonus and I am 29.

A boring practical car which uses bugger all petrol and so far has been cheap to run.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:58 am
ABCDiamond

Car insurance has three types of policy

You need to have the CTP Greenslip, and probably one of the others aswell.

CTP Greenslip plus Third Party Property Damage, is about equalk to UK's Third Party Only. Does not include Fire and Theft.

CTP Greenslip Plus Comprehensive is like UK Comprehensive.

Comprehensive Car*
Covers your car for accidental damage, theft and fire. Includes $20 million liability cover for damage you may cause to someone else’s vehicle or property.

Third Party Property Damage*
Covers you for the damage your car might cause to someone else’s vehicle or property.

CTP Greenslip
Compulsory insurance cover that must be taken out when registering your motor vehicle. Includes 'at fault driver cover' up to $250,000 for no extra cost. (This covers damage to other people, not their property. No Claims discount does not apply on CTP (as far as I am aware)

Old Dec 4th 2003, 11:18 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Garazy,

this sounds like a good thing to me.

Bye
Markeh
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi...

In Venezuela we do not have "no claims" discounts. Anyone knows if the is a way to obtain this in OZ? anything I can bring from here?

Regards,

Gary
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:00 pm
Go Cubs!!

Originally posted by markeh
Hi Garazy,

this sounds like a good thing to me.

Bye
Markeh

Hi Markeh,

Yes it does but it seems to good to be true! What other costs will i be looking at? and i will only have a working holiday visa (but i have a full uk driving licence) does this impede me in any way?

All I can think of is

* car cost
* insurance
* MOT ??
* Road Tax ???

G
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:05 pm
WBB

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Car insurance has three types of policy

You need to have the CTP Greenslip, and probably one of the others aswell.

CTP Greenslip plus Third Party Property Damage, is about equalk to UK's Third Party Only. Does not include Fire and Theft.

CTP Greenslip Plus Comprehensive is like UK Comprehensive.

Comprehensive Car*
Covers your car for accidental damage, theft and fire. Includes $20 million liability cover for damage you may cause to someone else’s vehicle or property.

Third Party Property Damage*
Covers you for the damage your car might cause to someone else’s vehicle or property.

CTP Greenslip
Compulsory insurance cover that must be taken out when registering your motor vehicle. Includes 'at fault driver cover' up to $250,000 for no extra cost. (This covers damage to other people, not their property. No Claims discount does not apply on CTP (as far as I am aware)
cheers for the info.

Old Dec 4th 2003, 7:43 pm

Is it only NSW that has the CTP system?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default insurance for car in oz

i will be going over to oz in jan 2004 and i plan to buy a cheap car to get around i have drove since i was old enough to drive but have not had a car for some years now only borrow one.

so i will not have no claim as no insurance and no car.

i believe if you have this no cliams it helps in the price of insurance when over there is there any company over there online etc that does not care about no claims im sure i read on this forum before that there was a name of a company who was real cheap and did not worry or ask for no claims.

can anyone recommend an insurance company like this which would be cheap and insure working holiday visa holders so i can check them out when i get over there.

i will be in victoria.

also was wondering what happens when i buy a car in victoria and i fancy driving say to sydney or elsewhere is there a problem with this does rego need to be changed in every state i go to or am i free to go where i like with the car i buy im confused as the what the laws are on buying a car in one state and taking it to another for a few week then back to where i was at or staying in that new state.

please advise as a car is an option i need to look into when i am away
Old Dec 4th 2003, 11:13 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Regards,

Gary

It sounds about right for someone your age. I have full no claims discount, am 38 and my 89 Falcon cost $105 to insure third party.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
Is it only NSW that has the CTP system?
In QLD the CTP is included with the rego. (Like Road Fund Licence in UK)

NSW rego was $210.00 with CTP of $ 338.00

in QLD it became $584 for the rego/CTP combined.

But Comp cover dropped from $766 to $488 when we moved here last year. (same car) and with a smaller excess