car around oz?

Old Mar 17th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default car around oz?

I am staying with relatives for now but plan very soon to travel around oz, i am here for 12 months on a working visa well thats what i hope just depends on other things etc.

As i looked at this site a lot when back home and what i read i thought it was a very good idea buying a car when over here to travel to other states, but now i am thinking maybe i wasted my time and it could be costly.

Where i am at now i had to get buses etc and they stop by a certain time of night after that then i could only get taxis, and also i had plans to stay where i am at and find work and the car would be usefull for that but as i plan to travel very soon i maybe thing the car is no longer needed.

I as i already know flight are real cheap to other states and even they dont take long but if i am driving it takes longer and there is the risk i could break down, i thought it was a good idea at the time buying the car and still do as you can drive and come and go as you please, but i also thought i would have someone or find someone who is traveling and would share costs but that does not seem to be working, most say they would rather fly as its quicker and probably work out cheaper.

Now i am wishing i never got it now, i could sell it but its so soon after getting it and who knows if i will sell quickly.

what should i do just keep it and drive around oz or fly at first i thought the car was a good idea but maybe not now.

I am near melbourne but plan to go to sydney for a while then go to queensland.

any advise once again
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In the cities a car is not that great but in between they are essential. There are so many places innaccessible to public transport that I would stick with the car. If you need to get somewhere quickly then the plane is good but if you want to see the country then a car is best.

The coastal drive from Melbourne to Sydney is supposed to be beautiful. From Sydney to Brissie there are loads of places to stop off. Without a car you are stuck with the cities and the most popular sites.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:03 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car around oz?

Originally posted by brian.w

As i looked at this site a lot when back home and what i read i thought it was a very good idea buying a car when over here to travel to other states, but now i am thinking maybe i wasted my time and it could be costly.

Take out RACQ (or RACV) cover or similar to stop worrying about breakdowns. Whilst on the East coast you shoul definitely keep and use to get from Mel - Sys - Bris. You will have much greater flexibility with a car and see more (in less time) than those relying on public transport and planes - you could also lock your laptop in it and use it as a mobile hotel room as necessary.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: car around oz?

Originally posted by jayr
Take out RACQ (or RACV) cover or similar to stop worrying about breakdowns. Whilst on the East coast you shoul definitely keep and use to get from Mel - Sys - Bris. You will have much greater flexibility with a car and see more (in less time) than those relying on public transport and planes - you could also lock your laptop in it and use it as a mobile hotel room as necessary.
this was something i had in mind but thats all i seem to be doing since buying this car and am wondering if i would have been better flying around.

I thought it was a good idea and people would travel with me but most prefer to fly.

I was thinking of selling car and fly about but i have now went for keeping the car and now will join racv and just go.

and see oz the best way, im sure as i travel people will want to come along and ease the costs on petrol for me.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

When you get to the hostels you can pick up and drop off along the way. Just put up a leaflet. You can also share petrol costs.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 2:02 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

having done the east coast both by busing/flying, and by driving i can safely say keep the car. i now look at the time i bussed/flew as a waste of time. i had much more fun when driving. i took out RACV cover for peace of mind but never had a problem.

as bondipom says, there are many, many people in hostels willing to grab a lift/share costs, etc. ok, so you may not find someone to go all the way from melbourne to cape york, but just use the noticeboard stating when you are moving on and where to - bound to get takers!