Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Capital Gains Tax?

Capital Gains Tax?

Old May 6th 2005, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Sproutyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Capital Gains Tax?

Can anyone tell me the capital gains tax implications if we sell up in the UK before we buy in OZ.
Old May 6th 2005, 1:02 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capital Gains Tax?

Originally Posted by Sproutyboy
Can anyone tell me the capital gains tax implications if we sell up in the UK before we buy in OZ.
None. You can sell your own house without any CGT implications. What you then do with that money is up to you (bank it / buy an Aussie property etc). If you don't transfer the funds within 6 months of going for good you may get taxed on exchange gains but that is a whole different (more complex) question.
Old May 6th 2005, 1:54 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
None. You can sell your own house without any CGT implications. What you then do with that money is up to you (bank it / buy an Aussie property etc). If you don't transfer the funds within 6 months of going for good you may get taxed on exchange gains but that is a whole different (more complex) question.
Whilst i'm sure you're right, how does that differ from ..... for example....

You sell your house for 250k - downsize and buy one for 100k, i always thought that you would get stung for CGT for the outstanding 150k
Old May 6th 2005, 2:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod

You sell your house for 250k - downsize and buy one for 100k, i always thought that you would get stung for CGT for the outstanding 150k
No CGT to pay in this scenario.

Another scenario, buy a house, live in it for a while then rent it out. If you sell it within 3 years, then no CGT, even if you have another property.
Old May 6th 2005, 2:14 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wargod

If it is your 'Principle Primary Residence' then the gain is tax exempt (watch this space though for Gordon Brown!!).

If you have more than one home then you will be taxed on the one that you deem not to be your principle primary residence.

Chris
Old May 6th 2005, 2:50 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris n
If it is your 'Principle Primary Residence' then the gain is tax exempt (watch this space though for Gordon Brown!!).

If you have more than one home then you will be taxed on the one that you deem not to be your principle primary residence.

Chris

Cheers all !!
Old May 6th 2005, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Any gains arising after you become Australian tax resident can be caught by the Australian CGT system. It's not clear why you think there's a 6 month exemption.

Jeremy
Old May 7th 2005, 12:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Another scenario, buy a house, live in it for a while then rent it out. If you sell it within 3 years, then no CGT, even if you have another property.
I would check with the ATO on that point. I am pretty sure that it is not the case, unless of course you do not own another property during that 3 year period.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1

Old May 7th 2005, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Sproutyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for the replies. Looks like we'll be OK as it is our primary residence.

Good bye and good luck!!!
Old May 7th 2005, 1:46 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Just to clear some things up.

The 3 year rule is a UK rule and applies only in the UK.

There is no 6 month grace period for forex gains. You can be charged forex gains (or claim losses) on any change in the value of your money from the time you sell the house to the time the money is changed into $s

If the house in the UK was your primary residence and you DO NOT buy a house in Oz then you have 6 years before you have any CGT implication. It is worth getting a tax ruling on this from the ATO.

Regards
Alistair