Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't get a mortgage so annoying...

Can't get a mortgage so annoying...

Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

wanderer1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't get a mortgage so annoying...

We have been here 3years now but went back to the UK last June for 5months and because of the break of employment and not a full tax year we can't get a mortgage .

Just wondered if anyone hs been in this situation, fed up of renting and really want our own house again. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can't get a mortgage so annoying...

Originally Posted by wanderer1970
We have been here 3years now but went back to the UK last June for 5months and because of the break of employment and not a full tax year we can't get a mortgage .

Just wondered if anyone hs been in this situation, fed up of renting and really want our own house again. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Are you really desperate to buy into a falling market? The bank is doing you a favor if you do. In general banks are tightening up lending there is expactation of another credit crunch in the not too distant future or so I hear.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Things have changed dramatically in the last few years. When we bought 10 years ago I had only been working about 3 months and I had a wide choice of lenders, now I'm afraid they are far more careful with their money. Keep trying, have you been through a broker ?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:21 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Really would suggest using a broker - Oz seems to be much more oriented towards brokers and would have thought they would be able to help.
I was rejected to two mortgages, one because the lender didn't lend where I was building (nothing like telling me in advance!) and the other because they did not accept foreign income. However managed to get one at the third attempt. Would now look to a broker. Getting a mortgage in the uk was a piece of cake but Oz seem to be much firmer - or maybe its the GFC.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
we got a mortgage with only 3 months earnings. You should definitely try a broker
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

wanderer1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, I have tried a broker but hubby is self employed which makes it more difficult. Maybe its fate but still want my own house