Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra school fees on temp visa - $12000!!!

Canberra school fees on temp visa - $12000!!!

Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canberra school fees on temp visa - $12000!!!

Originally Posted by Hel&Will
I have been busy making enquiries to see what entitlements we will/will not be able to get if we get our 496 temporary residency visa and have had a major shock.

I have just received an email from the education authority in Canberra stating that we will have to pay $12000 per year plus $349 insurance for our son to attend school as he will be classed as an overseas student. I knew that NSW charged for temporary visa holders around $5000 per year but $12000 is too much!

All these extra costs are starting to give us negative thoughts about moving when we were starting to think we were nearly there - meds being done tomorrow. Unfortunately we were 5 points short for a 138 visa and missed the 139 visa deadline so a 496 was our only alternative. I can see why they have changed the rules on the designated sponsored visa but if these areas need the skills why are they making it so difficult financially for those first 2-3 years? Ontop of school fees we will not get 1st homebuyers grant, medicare, child benefit etc then once we have met the criteria of living in area for 2 years/working for 12 months we have to apply for the 883 visa (which costs over $2300, have medicals again etc etc).

Sorry to rant but just feeling so deflated now as it seems we take one step forward then 2 back. I know we will have a better quality of life but it looks like it will be a very broke life!

frustrated Hel
Oh my word! eeeeek, we looked into going to Oz as I lived there before and we were told we would have to pay school fees, we opted for NZ instead and we don't have to pay over here but they do ask for a $20.00 per year per child donation....I wouldn't of been able to afford to send my little un to school if I had been faced with that kind of bill!