Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra school fees on temp visa - $12000!!!

Canberra school fees on temp visa - $12000!!!

Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice
Angry Canberra school fees on temp visa - $12000!!!

I have been busy making enquiries to see what entitlements we will/will not be able to get if we get our 496 temporary residency visa and have had a major shock.

I have just received an email from the education authority in Canberra stating that we will have to pay $12000 per year plus $349 insurance for our son to attend school as he will be classed as an overseas student. I knew that NSW charged for temporary visa holders around $5000 per year but $12000 is too much!

All these extra costs are starting to give us negative thoughts about moving when we were starting to think we were nearly there - meds being done tomorrow. Unfortunately we were 5 points short for a 138 visa and missed the 139 visa deadline so a 496 was our only alternative. I can see why they have changed the rules on the designated sponsored visa but if these areas need the skills why are they making it so difficult financially for those first 2-3 years? Ontop of school fees we will not get 1st homebuyers grant, medicare, child benefit etc then once we have met the criteria of living in area for 2 years/working for 12 months we have to apply for the 883 visa (which costs over $2300, have medicals again etc etc).

Sorry to rant but just feeling so deflated now as it seems we take one step forward then 2 back. I know we will have a better quality of life but it looks like it will be a very broke life!

frustrated Hel
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

3littlefigs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Canberra school fees on temp visa - $12000!!!

Bloody hell thats a lot. Is this fee for state school? Have you thought about a church school? May be less expensive. Have no idea, but just a thought. We too are moving to canberra, but on a spouse visa. Hoping to be there in May. Do you know you could always live in a place called Jerrabomberra or just outside of canberra in a places like Royalla and they are considerd NSW. It's such a huge thing and these things don't make it easy. Any ideas as to where you might live. finding it a problem choosing schools and suberbs. Dx
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

No that is for a state school. Because we are on a designated area visa we have to live and work in ACT as that is where our sponsor lives. I have questioned these fees again with the education department and am hoping they have confused the visa as this is a new visa which seems to be causing some confusion. We do have cousin who lives near Royalla so we might have to change sponsor in order to get into a nsw school - the only problem here being that we would both have to work in nsw not ACT.

We are looking at living in south canberra (Tuggeranong) probably Theodore, Calwell or Chisholm.

Originally Posted by 3littlefigs
Bloody hell thats a lot. Is this fee for state school? Have you thought about a church school? May be less expensive. Have no idea, but just a thought. We too are moving to canberra, but on a spouse visa. Hoping to be there in May. Do you know you could always live in a place called Jerrabomberra or just outside of canberra in a places like Royalla and they are considerd NSW. It's such a huge thing and these things don't make it easy. Any ideas as to where you might live. finding it a problem choosing schools and suberbs. Dx
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hel&Will
No that is for a state school. Because we are on a designated area visa we have to live and work in ACT as that is where our sponsor lives. I have questioned these fees again with the education department and am hoping they have confused the visa as this is a new visa which seems to be causing some confusion. We do have cousin who lives near Royalla so we might have to change sponsor in order to get into a nsw school - the only problem here being that we would both have to work in nsw not ACT.

We are looking at living in south canberra (Tuggeranong) probably Theodore, Calwell or Chisholm.

Hi,

Try moving to somewhere just on the outskirts but still within the ACT - then send your child to school at maybe Sutton or Quenbeyan both in NSW - not sure if you can but it is worth looking at.

Kids in Canberra travel from outside of Canberra to school here -so maybe works other way round.

Sas
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:24 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

I have been busy making enquiries to see what entitlements we will/will not be able to get if we get our 496 temporary residency visa and have had a major shock.

I have just received an email from the education authority in Canberra stating that we will have to pay $12000 per year plus $349 insurance for our son to attend school as he will be classed as an overseas student. I knew that NSW charged for temporary visa holders around $5000 per year but $12000 is too much!

All these extra costs are starting to give us negative thoughts about moving when we were starting to think we were nearly there - meds being done tomorrow. Unfortunately we were 5 points short for a 138 visa and missed the 139 visa deadline so a 496 was our only alternative. I can see why they have changed the rules on the designated sponsored visa but if these areas need the skills why are they making it so difficult financially for those first 2-3 years? Ontop of school fees we will not get 1st homebuyers grant, medicare, child benefit etc then once we have met the criteria of living in area for 2 years/working for 12 months we have to apply for the 883 visa (which costs over $2300, have medicals again etc etc).

Sorry to rant but just feeling so deflated now as it seems we take one step forward then 2 back. I know we will have a better quality of life but it looks like it will be a very broke life!

frustrated Hel
Would a private school be any better? We are on a temp visa and have our boys in a private school, about $6,000.00 each/year
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi,

Try moving to somewhere just on the outskirts but still within the ACT - then send your child to school at maybe Sutton or Quenbeyan both in NSW - not sure if you can but it is worth looking at.

Kids in Canberra travel from outside of Canberra to school here -so maybe works other way round.

Sas
I was under the impression that the kids had to go to school in the state that sponsored you. Look into the private school thing, though. It could work out to be loads less money for you.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

frustrated Hel
What is you nominated occupation is it a low point one.

Jo
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:33 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I was under the impression that the kids had to go to school in the state that sponsored you. Look into the private school thing, though. It could work out to be loads less money for you.
If ACT is anything like NSW then I think you have to pay the state schools fees even if you send your kids to private school... basically its just a tax
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:49 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

frustrated Hel
If you can cope with a catholic school these are often much cheaper - v good one up the road from us was $1400 per term. Mind you my hubby said there's a reason!! We were lucky to get into non denominational state schools and in QLD you don't pay - but are on a 457 visa and it does cheese you off that you still pay taxes and don't seem to get very much benefit.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If ACT is anything like NSW then I think you have to pay the state schools fees even if you send your kids to private school... basically its just a tax
We send our daughter to a private school and pay $7450 for the year. We do not have to pay the government fee of $4500 on top of that. When I enquired re secondary schools, I asked whether we would have to pay international fees and they said no, just normal fees since we are residents, albeit temporary (on a 457). I don't know whether this is the case for all schools though.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:21 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

how old are the children in these posts?
mines 14 would these prices apply to his age..

is it true that once you've started as an international student that you have to stay a int student?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

My daughter is in year 1. Fees of $7450 apply for all the whole school which goes up to year 4.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:19 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
My daughter is in year 1. Fees of $7450 apply for all the whole school which goes up to year 4.
thank you

any more?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There may be confusion here. ACT does charge fees to those on student visas, but should usually have an exemption for certain types of temporary visa such as 496 (NSW has an exemption for 495/496 visas). Contact the ACT Education Department and ask the question specifically. If that doesn't lead to a clarification, contact the ACT regional migration people and ask them to clarify.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We send our daughter to a private school and pay $7450 for the year. We do not have to pay the government fee of $4500 on top of that. When I enquired re secondary schools, I asked whether we would have to pay international fees and they said no, just normal fees since we are residents, albeit temporary (on a 457). I don't know whether this is the case for all schools though.
I would get this doubled checked if I were you. We have a friend who works for NSW education authority and they are adamant that if you are on a 457 visa that you must pay the $4500 pa. Even if you then chose to send your kids to private school you will still be made to pay the $4500 on top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.