Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Originally Posted by Sungold
Hooray we got it (or at least we are very close!) Oz here we come.

Just got an email from the CO this morning saying that my wife has to do a health undertaking when she arrives in Oz (remember she had spots on her Xrays) and that we all have to validate visa by Aug (six months after Oz doctors saw Xrays) So we have 28 days to reply letting them know our flight details, fill in the form 815 (health undertaking) and then send in our passports to get the PR visas.

House went on market Monday, had a viewing that day, but not interested. Now have to hope that house sells quickly and we can get our finances in order before I leave - could be within a month - scary thought!!!! When are other people actually going?

Steve
Congratulation mate - thats great news.
You're going to be running around like a headless chick now - getting everything sorted.
I hope you get some good news on the house soon.
I'm still not sure on my timescales - but nothing new there!
Have a drink to celebrate this eve
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:37 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Steve

Fantastic news, relief at last. One large step forward and nothing stopping you going now. You will be able to tell us what it's like as no movements on our front yet, unfortunately are first viewers loved the house but not the area, so we are awaiting a serious buyer before making any plans on moving. Still hoping to be there by May/Jun seems to have already slipped a month.

Hooray we got it (or at least we are very close!) Oz here we come.

Just got an email from the CO this morning saying that my wife has to do a health undertaking when she arrives in Oz (remember she had spots on her Xrays) and that we all have to validate visa by Aug (six months after Oz doctors saw Xrays) So we have 28 days to reply letting them know our flight details, fill in the form 815 (health undertaking) and then send in our passports to get the PR visas.

House went on market Monday, had a viewing that day, but not interested. Now have to hope that house sells quickly and we can get our finances in order before I leave - could be within a month - scary thought!!!! When are other people actually going?

Steve
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:53 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,
I thought you you would like to see a typical suburb street. The other picture was taken at Malua Bay. It is a house we rented for 4 days. It cost us about £30 a day. And it is only an hour and half drive form Canberra. Hope you all like the pictures.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?-swscan00009a.jpg   Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?-swscan00010a.jpg  
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:07 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Jim

Thanks for the photo's, just can't wait to see it for real. Still awaiting a buyer for the house first.

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Hey guys,
I thought you you would like to see a typical suburb street. The other picture was taken at Malua Bay. It is a house we rented for 4 days. It cost us about £30 a day. And it is only an hour and half drive form Canberra. Hope you all like the pictures.
Jim
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point

We've got our 2nd and third viewings tomorrow and the house only went on the market Monday.

Steve

Originally Posted by RockHopper
Jim

Thanks for the photo's, just can't wait to see it for real. Still awaiting a buyer for the house first.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 7:25 am
Living the Dream

We've got our 2nd and third viewings tomorrow and the house only went on the market Monday.

Steve
Good news, hope someone puts down a firm offer. We are still awaiting another viewing, it's not going to plan at this time but I hope things will pick up here.

Steve B
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:37 pm
Living the Dream

Steve
How's it all going?
It's been a week since any news from the Canberra folk, so thought I would bring the thread back up again. Well the house selling still seems slow in Swindon, we have another viewing tomorrow but would dearly like a bit more interest than just 2 viewings in 3 weeks. How's everyone else, hopefully having more luck.
Steve have you got a date for your move yet?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 12:54 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

How's it all going?
It's been a week since any news from the Canberra folk, so thought I would bring the thread back up again. Well the house selling still seems slow in Swindon, we have another viewing tomorrow but would dearly like a bit more interest than just 2 viewings in 3 weeks. How's everyone else, hopefully having more luck.
Steve have you got a date for your move yet?
Hey Steve,
I guess your really itching to go now. We are still waiting for a stat dec to come from Oz. Then Wendy can get her medical. Just a time consuming thing. Hope you have some luck with your house. Are you still looking at Bungendore?

Jim
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:11 pm
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Hey Steve,
I guess your really itching to go now. We are still waiting for a stat dec to come from Oz. Then Wendy can get her medical. Just a time consuming thing. Hope you have some luck with your house. Are you still looking at Bungendore?

Jim
Jim

Yes we would like to go as soon as possible, but our timeline looks to be slipping from April to May or even June. Still as long as they hold the job open It's not so bad. We have all decided that our daughter will now stay in the UK to finish her media A level, so that will be June, so if we don't sell the house quickly at least we will be all together.
The reason we liked Bungendore was the value for money in house prices. A new 4 bed house on quarter acre block for under $400, but the teenager wants to be near all the action, so she can get a taxi down town. We will have to see when we get there. Good luck on your progression and hope things get sorted quickly.

Steve B
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All, Just thought I would update you on whats happening with our move.
CSIRO want me out there for the 18th March so I am hoping to leave on the 14th - if I get a visa in time. CSIRO are paying for the flights and they still have not booked them yet and I cant get a visa until we have that info. Hopefully I will send the passports and forms off by Wed and get a visa back in a week. What do you think my chances are?

I've emailed and phoned my case officer today but they are always out of the office when you want them! And email delays with NTL didnt help either (their system crashed for three days last week).

We have our sixth house viewing this evening in two weeks of being on the market but no offers yet. More decluttering in progress as we speak.

Steve J
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Steve, Good decision to let your daughter finish her A level. Good luck with the house. The news is that house sales increased in Feb and there are a lot more buyers coming into the marklet theoretically so lets all keep our fingers crossed. If I can figure out how to do it I'll send you some Karma
Jim

Yes we would like to go as soon as possible, but our timeline looks to be slipping from April to May or even June. Still as long as they hold the job open It's not so bad. We have all decided that our daughter will now stay in the UK to finish her media A level, so that will be June, so if we don't sell the house quickly at least we will be all together.
The reason we liked Bungendore was the value for money in house prices. A new 4 bed house on quarter acre block for under $400, but the teenager wants to be near all the action, so she can get a taxi down town. We will have to see when we get there. Good luck on your progression and hope things get sorted quickly.

Steve B
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:38 pm
Living the Dream

Steve, Good decision to let your daughter finish her A level. Good luck with the house. The news is that house sales increased in Feb and there are a lot more buyers coming into the marklet theoretically so lets all keep our fingers crossed. If I can figure out how to do it I'll send you some Karma
Hi Steve

Reference the chances of getting the passport back, well ours only took 3 days, so I think you will make it in time. We have now had 2 viewings but no offers, the Estate Agent believes our house has had more enquiries than average and will sell OK, but it's still early in the year. They keep saying we will get more interest shortly as the market picks up even more. I will try and send this Karma thing also.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Well We are two steps nearer. My flight is booked for Monday 14th March so in two weeks time I will be downunder! The passports went off today as my case offcier said he would put the visas in this week.

Also good news on the house front. The couple who viewed it last night said it was top of their list and they had looked at fifteen last weekend. They have more viewings this weekend but I still feel they will make an offer on ours. They have also sold thier house but hopefully they wont mind waiting to complete until July which is when the rest of the family want to leave the house. Shouldnt count my chickens before they hatch should I?

Steve

Hi Steve

Reference the chances of getting the passport back, well ours only took 3 days, so I think you will make it in time. We have now had 2 viewings but no offers, the Estate Agent believes our house has had more enquiries than average and will sell OK, but it's still early in the year. They keep saying we will get more interest shortly as the market picks up even more. I will try and send this Karma thing also.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:01 pm
Living the Dream

Well We are two steps nearer. My flight is booked for Monday 14th March so in two weeks time I will be downunder! The passports went off today as my case offcier said he would put the visas in this week.

Also good news on the house front. The couple who viewed it last night said it was top of their list and they had looked at fifteen last weekend. They have more viewings this weekend but I still feel they will make an offer on ours. They have also sold thier house but hopefully they wont mind waiting to complete until July which is when the rest of the family want to leave the house. Shouldnt count my chickens before they hatch should I?

Steve
Great news Steve, get the beers in downunder. hope the house sells and they are willing to wait.
Our last viewing on Saturday went well and the couple want to have a second viewing (already sold their property), we also have another viewing Monday, so things are looking up this end.

Steve B
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:11 pm
Breast Inspector

Great news Steve, get the beers in downunder. hope the house sells and they are willing to wait.
Our last viewing on Saturday went well and the couple want to have a second viewing (already sold their property), we also have another viewing Monday, so things are looking up this end.

Steve B
Great news for both Steves!!
I'm just waiting for some paperwork coming from Australia, seems to be taking forever!! I am really getting fed up with this place. Had our car vandlised the other day by a gang of kids. Called the police, but, they just said that we cant do much about it, because there kids. Anyway good luck with the house selling maybe we should all get together when we arrive in Canberra.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.