Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:28 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Originally Posted by Kristine
Hey two Steve's,
My partner works for a global shipping company (bases all over UK) if you want some advice on containers and how much fits in - I can PM you his details - he said he's more than happy to answer any questions!
I'm trusting him to ship out all my prized possessions (well the ones that wont fit in his garage!!!)
K
Hi Kristine

Yes please, so could he also arrange for quotes and shipping of other peoples items (for instance our stuff).

Regards

Steve
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:42 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sungold
Now thats a long story thats probably best saved if we meet up in canberra!

Briefly, shes from Munster and we met in St Louis USA working for the same company. I ran out of visas had to come back to teh UK, proposed before I left US, went back to get married (she had to stay in US to finish her studies) and then we eventually met up again here (which is not where she would have wished to be by choice). Hence very happy that we are moving to Oz.

How about you and your cross cultural experiences? Salty liquorice and all that????

Steve J
Steve

My wife comes from a small village, Nieuw Bergen, located about half way between Venlo and Nijmagen and just across the boarder from an ex-RAF base called Laarbruch. I visited the local disco one night in her village and that was it smitten. I was posted back to the UK the following year and we had to decide on whether to get married or finish the relationship. Well we are still together after 23 years. Brenda does like her salty liquorice and relatives always brings across a kilo or two when visiting.

Regards

Steve B
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey two Steve's,
My partner works for a global shipping company (bases all over UK) if you want some advice on containers and how much fits in - I can PM you his details - he said he's more than happy to answer any questions!
I'm trusting him to ship out all my prized possessions (well the ones that wont fit in his garage!!!)
K
Hi Kristine, Yes please for me too. Perhaps Steve can also PM me then we will all have eachothers details for when we get to Canberra.

My visa application arrived safely in London today and we got a phone call from the doctor to say our blood tests are normal so he has sent all info to London. Now all we have to do is wait for a response from them, either for more info or hopefully to say we ahve a visa. Mind you I am still waiting for my sponsorship to be approved in Canberra and thats nearly two months now.

Steve
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

stressfree is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I know this doesn't help with your question but the ACT does have a small piece of coastline ar Jervis Bay. I presume the states didn't trust each other enough to allow one of them to look after a federal miltary installation.

On Canberra, I have been once with the family and there was a lot to see and do. However, it is a bit isolated and over the long haul the attractions may wear a little thin. It is close to the ski slopes, but it is more than 2hrs from the coast.

Cheers
Alistair
If your looking for water lapping up to sand try Pine Island in the Tugranong(no clue how to spell it) district of Canberra. Its a meandering river with a few boulders and a reasonable amount of beach alongside. Cant remember if the water is deep enough to swim in but the kids can certainly splash around i it. Very quiet relaxing spot surounded by trees may even see a few "roos" just as you are driving in.
Enjoy,,,, Stressfree.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:10 pm
Living the Dream

Hi Kristine, Yes please for me too. Perhaps Steve can also PM me then we will all have eachothers details for when we get to Canberra.

My visa application arrived safely in London today and we got a phone call from the doctor to say our blood tests are normal so he has sent all info to London. Now all we have to do is wait for a response from them, either for more info or hopefully to say we ahve a visa. Mind you I am still waiting for my sponsorship to be approved in Canberra and thats nearly two months now.

Steve
Hi

I have just found out that we have a registered letter today, unfortunately it has gone back to the Mail Depot and they are not open until tomorrow. The only thing we are expecting is my passport back from the London Embassy, could it have a letter inside or even better a Visa. Has anyone ideas if they will contact me by other means to say the Visa has been granted or will it just be normal mail? I have checked my emails nothing on that front. It could just be my passport and nothing else, who knows - I hate this guessing game .

Regards

Steve
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:27 pm
Living the Dream

Received a registered envelope today with my handwriting on it. Yes we got it. a permanent residency visa. Canberra here we come Well once the house is sold.

Originally Posted by RockHopper
Hi

I have just found out that we have a registered letter today, unfortunately it has gone back to the Mail Depot and they are not open until tomorrow. The only thing we are expecting is my passport back from the London Embassy, could it have a letter inside or even better a Visa. Has anyone ideas if they will contact me by other means to say the Visa has been granted or will it just be normal mail? I have checked my emails nothing on that front. It could just be my passport and nothing else, who knows - I hate this guessing game .

Regards

Steve
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:36 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
The advantages of living in Canberra is that it has very low unemployment because of the large numbers of jobs available in the government or public service.
true, but you have to have citizenship to be eligible for these jobs.

Originally Posted by wombat42
The main complaints people have about Canberra is that it is a boring or souless place as it is a planned city and has a small population compared to other cities in OZ. .
True, true , true. I've been there twice with my job and hated it both times for this very reason. The only good thing about my trips to Canberra were arriving back at perth airport (stood both times at the baggage carosel with a huge smirk on my face, cos was so pleased to be back in Perth)

Mairi
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Congratulations on the visa grant - Are you still having worries about salary and cost of living? Now you really have to start planning for the future. I dont know how I will feel when I get mine, perhaps a bit of panic but then my wife will have to deal with all the moving issues and I will have all the worries about starting a new job in a new country all by myself. I'm sure I'll cope. Our house should go on the market in the next couple of weeks.

BTW When did London ask for your passport? They havent asked for mine yet but then I still have to get the nomination approval and hear back from the panel docs in Oz re my wifes Xray "white spots".

Steve

Steve QUOTE=RockHopper]Received a registered envelope today with my handwriting on it. Yes we got it. a permanent residency visa. Canberra here we come Well once the house is sold.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Received a registered envelope today with my handwriting on it. Yes we got it. a permanent residency visa. Canberra here we come Well once the house is sold.
Congratulations Mate!!
Well chuffed for you!
Perhaps the Canberra Crew can meet for a beer once we all get out there!!!

Good luck with the house selling, mine still on market - have given in to the need to paint bland colours - so start this mammoth task at the weekend - oh joy!!!
Kristine.x
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

I will have all the worries about starting a new job in a new country all by myself. I'm sure I'll cope.

Don't worry i'm going on my own too and starting new job. (I'm in denial of my stress now!!!)

At least you can get to know the place and settle before your wife comes out and you will have us guys to keep you company!

Kristine
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:07 am
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

Steve Congrats on the Visa.

RAF have just asked me if I fancy volunteering for afganastan for four months, satrting in march. I am finished in Jul, got ressettlement before that, so politely told my Flt Lt to ram it!

Stu
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:01 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
true, but you have to have citizenship to be eligible for these jobs.
as i found out!!

by the way i thought you'd all like to know it's 10 degrees here today!! Bluddy freezing! especialy considering it was 34 on tuesday! brrrrrr :scared:
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Lucky you -we might make it to 10 degrees today but expect frosts to come back by the weekend although have to say that it has been the warmest January here for a long time (no snow and only a couple of days where we woke up to frost). No scraping of cars like we are used to. Do you have to do that a lot in Canberra in the winter?

Steve J

Originally Posted by scutterUK
as i found out!!

by the way i thought you'd all like to know it's 10 degrees here today!! Bluddy freezing! especialy considering it was 34 on tuesday! brrrrrr :scared:
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:32 am
Living the Dream

Hi Steve

No worries mate, over that now. Like most people we just want to go and are awaiting that enthusiastic house buyer just lurking round the corner waiting to snap up our house, that’s what we hope.
London asked for my passport when they requested the meds etc.
Here’s hoping you get some good news soon!

Steve

Congratulations on the visa grant - Are you still having worries about salary and cost of living? Now you really have to start planning for the future. I dont know how I will feel when I get mine, perhaps a bit of panic but then my wife will have to deal with all the moving issues and I will have all the worries about starting a new job in a new country all by myself. I'm sure I'll cope. Our house should go on the market in the next couple of weeks.

BTW When did London ask for your passport? They havent asked for mine yet but then I still have to get the nomination approval and hear back from the panel docs in Oz re my wifes Xray "white spots".

Steve

Steve QUOTE=RockHopper]Received a registered envelope today with my handwriting on it. Yes we got it. a permanent residency visa. Canberra here we come Well once the house is sold.
[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:41 am
Living the Dream

Congratulations Mate!!
Well chuffed for you!
Perhaps the Canberra Crew can meet for a beer once we all get out there!!!

Good luck with the house selling, mine still on market - have given in to the need to paint bland colours - so start this mammoth task at the weekend - oh joy!!!
Kristine.x
Hi Kristine

Thanks, we definitely will all have to get together and have a few beers and a BBQ. Enjoy the painting, they say it can be calming and stress relieving!!!!!!

Steve B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.