Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is canberra exciting

Is canberra exciting

Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:25 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough
Default Is canberra exciting

If you were a backpacker going to canberra where would you stay and what would you do whilst there for entertainment??
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:31 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is canberra exciting

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
If you were a backpacker going to canberra where would you stay and what would you do whilst there for entertainment??
Go on a trip to Sydney.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

use the time to catch up on some much needed sleep....

(actually it was OK for a weekend, but I never need to go again. To see -Parliament, old and new, couple of museums. getting around is hard- we hired a car)
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:05 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
use the time to catch up on some much needed sleep....

(actually it was OK for a weekend, but I never need to go again. To see -Parliament, old and new, couple of museums. getting around is hard- we hired a car)
We drove through it to go skiing (10 years ago) - i can honestly say it was the dullest place i ever saw - admitedly it was on a Sunday but all we saw were row upon row of buildings - not a soul out and about - not even street cleaners .... spooky
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
We drove through it to go skiing (10 years ago) - i can honestly say it was the dullest place i ever saw - admitedly it was on a Sunday but all we saw were row upon row of buildings - not a soul out and about - not even street cleaners .... spooky
we found the same on the Sunday and it was a long weekend- can only assume everyone had left the place for somewhere more exciting.
Really if you look at pictures of Canberra, you have seen enough. The other thread about QLD people going to bed at 8pm- well that's a happening time compared to Canberra!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:14 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

It is on a Friday at the Airport with all the government workers heading to melbourne and Sydney for the weekend. Quietens down a bit then till Monday when they all head back to Canberra
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:20 am
Just Joined

wendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant future

hi
we went there as backpackers a couple of years ago - not sure if its changed but we stayed at the yha hostel it was ok a little out of town but in a nice location at the time they ran a shuttle bus to town. you'll only need a couple of days there though just to check out the sites unless you need to catch up on sleep it's a ghost town at weekends and after dark
hope this helps
Old Dec 1st 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

have spent a fair bit of time in CBR as my aussie family settled there 40 yrs ago and have been and visited a few times.....

the first time i was there it was SOOOOOO boring that I abandonded my mum in canberra and jumped on a bus back to melbourne for 5 days to spend some more time with friends (was only in australia for4 weeks so time was precious!). did make it back in time for octoberfest but funnily enough i don't remember much of that!

2nd and 3rd times was slightly better because there were some decent things going on.... caught the christmas carol concert outside parliament house (was broadcast round the country apparantly) just before xmas in 2002, and then this janaury when i was back the edinburgh military tattoo were doing a big thing in CBR for australia day....

the war memorial is AMAZING tho..... i'd go back there in a flash, there's also questacon the science musem and the national museum & gallery and screensound are good for a visit. and if you've got transport then get up the telstra tower - amazing views and a revolving restaurant (complete with HUGE moths!)

i always stayed wi my family but Canberra City Accomodation (canberrabackpackers.net.au) on akuna street in civic (CBD) comes highly recommended by friends. swimming pool, bar, cable tv (for when the rest of the city it dead!) and a 24hr reception.

f
x
Old Dec 1st 2005, 2:59 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

The airport/bus station-waiting for a plane?bus out
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:05 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

If I were a backpacker I would not stop off in Canberra!