Canberra Bound

Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra Bound

Originally Posted by sprintman
Ooops and big apologies I was at the ACT BMW Car CLub BBQ at Corin Dam and I completely forgot. Hope there is another soon?
Will let you know - hope you had fun...we did
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Squem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hellloooo everyone,

First of all... YAY ... a post about Canberra with actual people in Canberra posting! It's great!

I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to introduce myself… I currently live in the UK with my mum, dad and 2 sisters! We started our visa application nearly 2 years ago (maybe slightly less… it’s been so long that I’ve lost track of dates)! We are all looking to go over on my dad’s visa which I can’t remember what it is but I do know that we have to move to Canberra as that’s where my dad’s skill is needed!

Last week we got asked to provide medical information and police checks which I believe is a good thing  so I’m now in the process of researching Canberra as much as I can! I didn’t bother doing it sooner because I didn’t think I would get accepted on my dad’s visa as I’m 21 years old and according to Australia government I’m not dependent on my parents, which does make me laugh as I definitely couldn’t afford to move out at the moment let alone pay bills and have a social life!

Anyways I’m getting a little side tracked here… my main reason for posting on this thread is I would like to hear what everyone really thinks about Canberra! Also in your own opinion what is it like for people my age? One of my sisters is 20 too so we are both curious about what our life out in Oz will be like especially in Canberra!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

daz181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

We are also at the same starting point for our 176 visa as you guys. I had a positive response back from my skills assessment as a Construction Project Manager back in December, it took about 4 weeks which was surprisingly fast!

Sent a copy of my CV for them to have a look at, and got the all clear to proceed with our visa application.

We have just finished putting together our "Commitment to Canberra" statement but are a little worried as to whether we have ticked all the boxes. Has anybody sent theirs and had any feedback?

cheers

Daz
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:14 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

Nearly everybody is into sport. Have a look at Questacon, CSIRO Discovery Centre, Tidbinbilla tracking station, Cotter Reserve, National Zoo & Aquarium, War Memorial (excellent), National Museum of Australia, and well just to many to list.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

101126 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding the commitment statement, for me it really was a case of writing down all the research that I did. So I covered things like:

- Summarising why I chose Canberra
- Explaining what research I had done i.e. what website’s I reference, what paper’s I used, the expo’s I attended and what magazines I read and what i found out from them.
- Employment – what research done there, what the jobs availability was, what the employment market is like, clearly there is a lot of federal employers so for the work I do in IT this is a consideration as many need security clearance and how I would anticipate working with that, what websites I used to research the market such as www.seek.com.au etc
- Lifestyle and work life balance – I covered things such as Climate, Work life balance (so things like getting around, lack of traffic congestion as the role that I had at the time meant a 4 commute each day and how working in Canberra can significantly reduce that which is time I can productively give to either my employer or family), Arts, Culture. Sports and Leisure Facilities, property and education.

All in all I did a huge amount of research and documented it in a succinct way. If you have an agent use him/her as they should know what they are after and should be able to share other successful commitment statements, I would send a copy but unfortunately lost it when my disc crashed, and like everybody who works in IT had never bothered to back it up :-(
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

daz181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info 101126.

Re, your lack of back-up................my PC died a few weeks ago, followed a day later by the external hard drive which was used as a back up for all my music, films family photos etc so basically we lost the lot!!!!!

Daz
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

ngoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by quoll
Hmm, best and affordable arent words that usually occur in the same sentence unfortunately. Canberra is a big place and where people live is usually determined to some extent by where they will be working. If you work in Tuggeranong you dont want to live in Gungahlin for example.

You shouldnt have too much trouble with nursing jobs - two big hospitals and several small private ones.
thanks for that, thats hpeful
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Originally Posted by sasbear
Good news on the visa!!!

Lots of friendly, helpful people here in Canberra.

More good news - we accepted an offer on our house today so looks like the final hurdle has gone as soon as it is through for def we will be on our way!!! YAY!!!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faircity
More good news - we accepted an offer on our house today so looks like the final hurdle has gone as soon as it is through for def we will be on our way!!! YAY!!!
Hey great news!!!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

I am seriously considering Canberra for my family. Research is showing this might the best place to raise our children and have a good work/life balance. We are thinking about the 176 visa (depending on what ACS gives as my ASCO code) but had a question about sufficient funds.

I currently have a portion of the required funds saved but my father is going to "gift" the remainder of the funds to me. Can he simply provide his bank statements and letter stating that he will provide the required funds upon our immigration or do the funds need to be put in my name prior to the application? My father would, of course, prefer not to give the funds out of his bank account until necessary because of interest lost. The reason my father is doing this is my wife will not let me sell our home here in the UK until we are positive that this is the right move for the kids because she doesn't want to be homeless. My wife is already an American expat living in the UK and worries about expating again.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:31 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

I've lived all over the world (ex RAF family). Please PM me and and I will give you details on ACT living you really need. Won't say more here as to many negative people on this forum. Cheers..stephen
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry dont know about the sufficient funds other than another chap on another board got knocked back because he didnt have what was required and he tried to get away with citing funds that his parents/family had. I dont know how you get around that. Mind you he didnt even get close to the $20k or what was required of him.

Canberra is a pretty good place to bring up a family but I can quite understand your wife's desire for a belt and braces approach.

Good luck
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

Thanks so much. I am trying to understand what the ACT considers transferable assets as much of our money is tied up either here or in the US. I have money than enough for the 5 of us in my pension but I doubt that is a transferable asset since I am only 35.

The ACT sounds lovely for my family. I rarely see my three daughters due to commute and work issues and sounds compact enough with loads to do for my wife.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
Thanks so much. I am trying to understand what the ACT considers transferable assets as much of our money is tied up either here or in the US. I have money than enough for the 5 of us in my pension but I doubt that is a transferable asset since I am only 35.

The ACT sounds lovely for my family. I rarely see my three daughters due to commute and work issues and sounds compact enough with loads to do for my wife.
Canberra is certainly a good choice for families. Welcome to the Canberra Bound thread
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

LBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really nice

Didn't think there would be this many ppl considering a move to Canberra! Nice to know that you're in the same boat as many others.