Canberra Bound

Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:33 am
Just Joined

LBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really nice
Default Canberra Bound

Hi Everyone!

Rather than lurk, I thought of using my first post to greet everybody. I am from the UK, and am married with 3 kids, and currently live in Gibraltar.

For years now we have wanted to move to Australia, but my skill was never much in demand. And yes, it is Canberra where we have always wanted to go, just seems like an ideal place for us, and I do happen to have a thing for planned cities, don't ask...

Anyway it just so happens that my skill has been on ACT's list since October last year, so we are now eligible to migrate to Oz and land in ACT via the 176 visa. Needless to say we are ecstatic!!

Anyway just a short intro, so hello again!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canberra Bound

Dear LAB_ACT,

We are (most probably) at the start of the same process for the 176. About to do skills and am supplying ACT with info re my desire to live there and job prospects following a positive response to my CV.

Have you been there before?

We did about 8 years and really liked it. Melbourne we found was very big, Sydney was sprawling, Perth was delightful but a bit isolated. Adelaide or Brisbane would be good but that's not an option. Darwin is apossibility for us and is trangely tempting ...

Need to ensure skills are o.k. and get the state sponsorship so let's keep in touch.

Bezza
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

westline is an unknown quantity at this point

just planning to move to Gibraltar soon, sounds like you considering moving out from there, how is life over there?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good place to introduce myself, I lived in Gibraltar for about seven years and have lived in or near Melbourne for a total of about 10 years, currently back in the UK but heading back to Melbourne in October, Canberra I like the place, people in Australia take the Mickey out of Canberra boring etc, but like visiting, good pub there called the George Harcourt or something like that
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

LBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really niceLBT_ACT is just really nice

Hey guys, thanks for the replys!

bezzanbob
How weird, because the other places just don't fit us somehow if that makes sense, and I was extremely close (it was between myself and another guy) to getting a position with Deloitte up in Darwin, which we would have loved. Also weirdly drawn to it. Adelaide seems interesting also...

Never been to Oz, but we don't usually let that stop us in our many moves so far, besides we aren't in a position to take a trip, and haven't been for the last few years.

How far are you guys in the process, have you already sent docs to the relevant skills assessment centre?

I have just found out from SBM in Canberra, after sending them my CV, that they would welcome an application, so now just busy gathering docs to send off to TRA to assess my skills.

Lets definitely keep in touch, and good luck in the process!

westline
How do I put this, well to start with its extremely small. Now you might know this already, but I mean its REALLY small. Some like that, some don't but most places are in walking distance. There is one supermarket (Morrisons), and one high street where you meet every living soul that you know, where they stop and have a chat. By the end of it you don't remember what you went there for. Lots of little independent stores selling clothing, perfume (cheap), booze (VERY cheap), cigarettes (EXTREMELY cheap £1.50 for a pack of 20 for those that smoke), and electronics such as cameras, computers, etc. You'd think with all of the little stores there would be alot of variety, but there isn't, as they all sell similar stuff. Oh and they just got rid of road tax, which is nice for those drivers out there.

Everybody lives in apartments, which are bloody expensive (dearer than London), so please make sure that either you have a large enough salary, or you get an allowance for this. Houses are available if you are willing to pay £4000+ per month for the pleasure. Can sometimes feel like a big council estate with development after develoment in some areas.

Income tax is very good if you have a family, as they give allowances. If you are able to buy here, there are even more deductions. For those that are single it used to be 40% income tax, but now you can choose between allowance based, or income based.

Weather is great in Summer (30 degrees), and it stays warm until October, where it does get quite cold, not to British standards, but if its been 30 all summer and suddenly drops to 8 or so, it feels freezing. The apartments aren't also setup for this so you will feel it unless you buy electric heaters, and even then double glazing hasn't arrived here yet.

Now some good points, as everyone will tell you its safe, and it really is. No serious crime here, and there is a real sense of community, allthough you will probably mix more with ppl that aren't originally from here.

Schools are very good, and teach the British curriculum, if you have kids to think about.

I always say check it out, even after loads of research and comments, you don't know till you try it.

What field do you work in, if you don't mind me asking?

Lucky Lucan
Good to know about that pub . Yeah I have noticed that many ppl kind of dis the place, but I suppose that'll keep the population controlled

Nice to meet you all
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

How weird, because the other places just don't fit us somehow if that makes sense, and I was extremely close (it was between myself and another guy) to getting a position with Deloitte up in Darwin, which we would have loved. Also weirdly drawn to it. Adelaide seems interesting also...

Tough question - especially when sponsorship asks for one place to be justified over and above all other destinations

Never been to Oz, but we don't usually let that stop us in our many moves so far, besides we aren't in a position to take a trip, and haven't been for the last few years.

How far are you guys in the process, have you already sent docs to the relevant skills assessment centre?

About to do skills assessment.

I have just found out from SBM in Canberra, after sending them my CV, that they would welcome an application, so now just busy gathering docs to send off to TRA to assess my skills.

Exactly the same here

Lets definitely keep in touch, and good luck in the process!

Yes - it would be good. Best wishes
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

westline is an unknown quantity at this point

LAB_ACT, thanks a lot for that
Obviously, lack of space, living in departments and renting prices in Gibraltar sounds a bit depressing..
I am working in IT, based in London, last couple of years been hanging between London and Edinburgh because of the job requirements, seen my family occasionally around weekends/holidays or Christmas time, etc.,
speed of life is good but at the end of the day everything is good in moderation, so who knows ? may be 20 min walking distance to the work place will be more than welcomed on top of this here in UK we got official – recession which could last for the good next year or so
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westline
Obviously, lack of space, living in departments and renting prices in Gibraltar sounds a bit depressing..
I am working in IT, based in London, last couple of years been hanging between London and Edinburgh because of the job requirements, seen my family occasionally around weekends/holidays or Christmas time, etc.,
speed of life is good but at the end of the day everything is good in moderation, so who knows ? may be 20 min walking distance to the work place will be more than welcomed on top of this here in UK we got official – recession which could last for the good next year or so

Hello to Canmberra bound folks!

come on down the weather is wonderful.....going to get to 37 today but should cool with a storm this arvo!

Been her over 4 years now and I really do love it here. Am thinking of seeing more of Oz though but not decided on anywhere just yet
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by westline
If you are interested in relocating, even just for a while to see how things go, and depending on what you do in IT, we have a vacancy here where I work, with one of the eGaming (basically online gambling) companies. Let me know and I'll PM you the details.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hello to Canmberra bound folks!

come on down the weather is wonderful.....going to get to 37 today but should cool with a storm this arvo!

Been her over 4 years now and I really do love it here. Am thinking of seeing more of Oz though but not decided on anywhere just yet
Hi sasbear, that temperature sounds wonderful in comparison to what we are experiencing here. Can't wait to get there, seems so long to wait. But first gotta get past TRA.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Woo hooo, more Canberrans! Hope you guys all like it here, all the benefits of a big city without the disadvantages and all the benefits of a big country town without the disadvantages.

I've been all over and it definitely has to be one of the better, most balanced places to live - reasonable employment, affordable housing, good weather without being OTT hot (apart from today - bring on that cold change, Sas!) good facilities, and not an overwhelming sense of tourist kitsch.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Woo hooo, more Canberrans! Hope you guys all like it here, all the benefits of a big city without the disadvantages and all the benefits of a big country town without the disadvantages.

I've been all over and it definitely has to be one of the better, most balanced places to live - reasonable employment, affordable housing, good weather without being OTT hot (apart from today - bring on that cold change, Sas!) good facilities, and not an overwhelming sense of tourist kitsch.
Hi quoll, kind of affirms what we thought of it. You reckon there is a lot to do for kids...this is one of the only things we haven't looked into?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Yay more Canberra bound.

We've been living in the ACT for about 7 months now and our 10 year old loves it, we have a lot of the same attractions that the other cities have but without the hustle and bustle.
We initially used Canberra just as a foot in the door to get to Australia but I can honestly say really enjoy it here

We also came to Australia on the Gov sponsored PR visa you guys seem to be doing, so if you have any questions about it I might be able to answer them for you.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LBT_ACT
Hi quoll, kind of affirms what we thought of it. You reckon there is a lot to do for kids...this is one of the only things we haven't looked into?

lOADS OF STUFF FOR KIDS - THE SCHOOLS RUN SO MANY AFTER SCHOOL CLUBS IT ISN'T FUNNY AND THEN THE ACTIVITIES ON THE WEEKEND TOO - YOU WILL BE A TAXI DRIVER FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS!!

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Yay more Canberra bound.

We've been living in the ACT for about 7 months now and our 10 year old loves it, we have a lot of the same attractions that the other cities have but without the hustle and bustle.
We initially used Canberra just as a foot in the door to get to Australia but I can honestly say really enjoy it here

We also came to Australia on the Gov sponsored PR visa you guys seem to be doing, so if you have any questions about it I might be able to answer them for you.
Hey you should come to the meet up in Canberra on the 24th January (Saturday) will update the post on the meet up section now I have the details.

Where in Canberra are you? North or South??

Quoll - up for a picnic??
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Were in Kambah (South) but we will venture anywhere for a meetup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.