Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canada to Australia

Canada to Australia

Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to Australia

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, I mean $2 per lb. Bananas here in Perth currently $3.99 kilo. That works out to $2 per lb. And yes, 39c per lb in Burlington Ontario where my parents live.
I don't want to get all moralistic on you but it is a well known fact that most bananas can be sold cheaply in the western world because the farmers in Central/South America and Africa are being exploited. Kind of explains 39c/lb bananas. That doesn't happen in Australia.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't want to get all moralistic on you but it is a well known fact that most bananas can be sold cheaply in the western world because the farmers in Central/South America and Africa are being exploited. Kind of explains 39c/lb bananas. That doesn't happen in Australia.
The farming thing is kinda intersting, after the qld cyclone there was a show in which the banana producers whos farms were not hit, claimed they became multi millionaires in months, bananas at $14 a kilo paid handsome divideds it seems Thats a lot of bananas can only imgagine they had big farms but thats what they claimed on TV here in QLD.

On the other hand avocado/ apple producers are on the same segment claiming the supermarkets are selling their produce at up to 10X what they are paid.

Ive found my fruit and veg solution, 20 mins before the local markets close on sunday, one guy lets you fill a supermarket size carrier for $5, got bananas spuds, yams, capsicum, zucchini, toms yesterday must have been 10kg at least for a $5
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The farming thing is kinda intersting, after the qld cyclone there was a show in which the banana producers whos farms were not hit, claimed they became multi millionaires in months, bananas at $14 a kilo paid handsome divideds it seems Thats a lot of bananas can only imgagine they had big farms but thats what they claimed on TV here in QLD.

On the other hand avocado/ apple producers are on the same segment claiming the supermarkets are selling their produce at up to 10X what they are paid.

Ive found my fruit and veg solution, 20 mins before the local markets close on sunday, one guy lets you fill a supermarket size carrier for $5, got bananas spuds, yams, capsicum, zucchini, toms yesterday must have been 10kg at least for a $5
Despite all their bitching and moaning, a lot of farmers do well - some very well! We know someone who used to own a commercial orchard. He used to supply M&S, Sainsbury, Coles etc. They used to screw him over big time. M&S were selling his apples at GBP6/kg and were paying him $1.50/kg. He lost a lot of money and nearly went bankrupt.

We buy most of our fruit, vegetables and eggs from smallholdings (mainly Itlaian heritage) back up here in the hills. They operate in a similar way to your guys. We've started growing tomatoes, limes, lemons, herbs. All our meat is bought in bulk - a whole Merino sheep at $5.50/kg, a side of beef at $6/kg. We bake our own bread at $1/loaf.

It's a better way of living.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I know why it's cheaper for some fruits, mainly imports like bananas and pineapple. I was simply pointing out to the other poster that yes, I meant $2 lb and not $2/kilo.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
T

We grow avocados. A tray of about 20 avos sells for about $18 in Jan/Feb at Brisbane markets. From that we pay 40% for sorting, cleaning, packing and transport. Picking would add another 10-15% but we do it ourselves for free. Take into account the cost of mowing the orchard, fertilisers, pruning (some needs to be done pofessionally $1000-$3000 pa), tree injections , mulch and weed killer and our income just about disappears over the year - without counting our labour!

Meanwhile the avos are selling for $1.50 - $2.00 each in Woolies.

Not that we're complaining. We love it but glad we don't have to rely on it for a living
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Anything you want to know, ML, just ask. We've been here 2 years now so pretty much settled.
thanks! i will, it was mainly just the removal companys from here to there!

i am a NSW born and bred girl from the coast! so if i can help you aswell! please just ask
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice

I've lived in Adelaide and Perth, so can't really compare Melbourne. House prices here are very expensive compared to most of Canada. For instance, we sold our 3 bed house in Burlington Ontario for 280k which here would get us a 2 bedroom apartment. Food shopping is more expensive for the most part. What I couldn't get over was how expensive produce is. I talk to my dad regularly and we compare prices of things like bananas (39cents lb in Canada/2.00 lb here), petrol ($1.60 litre here) etc. Mind you, wages here are higher than where we left also, so it works out.

I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but we found the pace much slower here. It's a really nice change from the hustle & bustle that is Southern Ontario.

Sorry for the sarcastic reply yesterday by the way. It's not my usual style. Anything else you want to know just ask.
Thank for the info. Actually food prices went up a lot over here too. Banans are 69c a pound (Vancouver), gas $1.55 liter, and housing is cheaper in Melbourne, especially in suburbia (I like new areas, so newly builts I can buy in Mel subs for $320-350,000 easily, not even close in Vancouver subs: price here would be C$425-600,000 for 4/2/2).

Thanks again for the information and time.
Can you suggest what should I buy or bring over to Oz: clothing? other things...????
Thanks a million....
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live just north of Vancouver in Lions Bay. We moved back to Ontario in 1995, but even when we were there it was incredibly expensive to live. I think you'll find Melbourne weather a lot like Vancouver's. I know when you see that it's 10C in winter you think it sounds warm, but it's all relative. It was 21 here in Perth today but I still had on my warm cable knit sweater. Yesterday was only in the teens and I needed my leather coat & gloves.

If you're coming in our winter then I would say to bring winter clothes. We landed in August 2006 and nearly froze to death! It was 40+ degrees when we left Toronto and landed in Adelaide to 7 degrees. If you're coming in summer then I would say bring sunscreen. You'll be amazed how strong the sun is here. If you could, can you throw some Presiden't Choice mac & cheese, Reece's Puffs cereal, Shreddies and a box of 100 timbits in your suitcase? I know they are totally silly things to miss, but it's about the only things I do miss.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

nikki75 will become famous soon enoughnikki75 will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone!

Great thread! Lot's of good info here!
I am planning/hoping to be moving from the Toronto area to Perth.
Just lodged my application last month, so it will be a while still...

Did anyone move their pet from Canada to Australia? If so, any pieces of advise?

Thanks!
Nikki
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

geoff08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are also moving our family to Melbourne from Toronto in the next few years. Visa app was done a in May, medicals in August and we hope to have the visa by early next year. We plan to validate July 2009 and make the move in 2010 - 2012....

Quick question - Would it be Ok to bring electonics if we brought powerbars? We could then plug into the powerbars and they would plug into the converter/wall? Any idea?

Great thread.

G
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

nikki75 will become famous soon enoughnikki75 will become famous soon enough

Hi Geoff,
Well, as far as I can tell you should be able to do that.
I moved to Canada from Europe a few years back, and did bring a few things that now run on a little plug in transformer, and they are just fine.
However, I don't think any device producing heat would work (based on electrical resistance).
But I could be wrong.

If anyone out there knows, let us know!
I too am planning on taking a few electrical things with me to Oz.

Thanks,
Nikki
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice

Originally Posted by nikki75
Hi Geoff,
Well, as far as I can tell you should be able to do that.
I moved to Canada from Europe a few years back, and did bring a few things that now run on a little plug in transformer, and they are just fine.
However, I don't think any device producing heat would work (based on electrical resistance).
But I could be wrong.

If anyone out there knows, let us know!
I too am planning on taking a few electrical things with me to Oz.

Thanks,
Nikki
Hi guys, I was actually studying this thing. When you move from Canada (120 V) to Oz (220 V) you are going through upconversion which is worse then down conversion (from 220v to 110v). So, simply do not bring any electronics to Oz from Canada, even with converters the upconversion simply does not work as good (things will burn down faster).

I think I am right, anyone who knows more please add.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

I used to live just north of Vancouver in Lions Bay. We moved back to Ontario in 1995, but even when we were there it was incredibly expensive to live. I think you'll find Melbourne weather a lot like Vancouver's. I know when you see that it's 10C in winter you think it sounds warm, but it's all relative. It was 21 here in Perth today but I still had on my warm cable knit sweater. Yesterday was only in the teens and I needed my leather coat & gloves.

If you're coming in our winter then I would say to bring winter clothes. We landed in August 2006 and nearly froze to death! It was 40+ degrees when we left Toronto and landed in Adelaide to 7 degrees. If you're coming in summer then I would say bring sunscreen. You'll be amazed how strong the sun is here. If you could, can you throw some Presiden't Choice mac & cheese, Reece's Puffs cereal, Shreddies and a box of 100 timbits in your suitcase? I know they are totally silly things to miss, but it's about the only things I do miss.

Thanks again for your post. Yes, I know it feels cooler over there, and Melbourne has its rainy days but waaaay less then Vancouver (I go by the stats: July the rainiest in Mel - winter-has the same amount of precipitation as Vancouver in july-summer, so virtually nothing compared to what we get in the winter over here).

Do you know if car prices at dealers on the web inclusive of GST or not. They seem to be more expencive in Oz (however the insurance is cheaper).
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

geoff08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tahititim
Thanks again for your post. Yes, I know it feels cooler over there, and Melbourne has its rainy days but waaaay less then Vancouver (I go by the stats: July the rainiest in Mel - winter-has the same amount of precipitation as Vancouver in july-summer, so virtually nothing compared to what we get in the winter over here).

Do you know if car prices at dealers on the web inclusive of GST or not. They seem to be more expencive in Oz (however the insurance is cheaper).
How about laptops that are sold worldwide..... Can you simply buy a new cord/brick for Oz?

G
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

twinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by geoff08
How about laptops that are sold worldwide..... Can you simply buy a new cord/brick for Oz?

G
Yes laptops are fine.... they are alot cheaper to buy in Canada than Australia. We are not taking our desktop, going to buy a new laptop. They work on 110-220 v and automatically detect the voltage...you can buy a new plug for about $5 if I am not mistaken.

Cheers

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.