Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you take wood in to OZ?

Can you take wood in to OZ?

Old May 21st 2005, 1:36 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you take wood in to OZ?

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
I was asking about this subject on another forum about bringing in feather quilts - would they allow used ones in or only new??

Advice on this would be useful as I only bought our 'all seasons' kingsize last year and it cost us a small fortune so would have liked to have brought it with us.

K
most feather items from western countries [uk,euro,usa] do not come under scrutiny as AQIS know they are treated, we have had quilts,doonas, duvets, checked when they come from eastern europe, as chicken feathers have been found in them. Australia is free of Newcastle disease [poultry killer]........ mm
Old May 21st 2005, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mr mover
most feather items from western countries [uk,euro,usa] do not come under scrutiny as AQIS know they are treated, we have had quilts,doonas, duvets, checked when they come from eastern europe, as chicken feathers have been found in them. Australia is free of Newcastle disease [poultry killer]........ mm

Good news then, hopefully. Thanks for the info
Old May 21st 2005, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rockville
Hi everyone,
Hope this isn't a really stupid question but moving to Sydney in Sept and was just wondering if you can take in wooden objects, photo frames, ornaments etc. Not shipping anything, just small stuff in suitcase.
Someone told me once they wont allow wooden produvts in and if found will confiscate them and fine you??
Any clues??

Hi, we had lots of wooden furniture to bring with us, not of it was "processed" and it came through fine. You have to let them know what you are bringing though. We had a table made of mango wood, and it was treated and that's the thing, it has to be treated...so yes you can bring it in. Your shipping agent should have more details for you.
Old May 21st 2005, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

I got an ole chip bord teak finish (not the country) wardrope...u think i would be better taking it or wait till i get over there and get one very similar ??

Old May 21st 2005, 10:43 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

This is a problem still with us. I posted a while back with the "Can" and "Can'ts" from an AQIS flyer I got from the shipping company. When we got the AQIS form to fill in it mentioned further bits that we have to declare. I couldn't understand why things of carved rock and stone need to be declared, and we've loads of stuff!

The best thing you can do I think is to declare anything that needs to be declared, because if they random search and find something that should have been declared it'll take bloomin' ages. That goes for luggage and any freight.

My packing company are due on Wednesday and i've left everything that needs to be declared in one pile, and that includes wood carved and stone ornaments from Africa and the Bahamas. The only things we've properly gotten rid of are of wicker, some of those banana leaf woven coasters and a drum as rawhide is not permitted at all. Oh, reminds me I need to check for feathers...

Fingers crossed we'll be alright with the rest!
Old May 21st 2005, 11:44 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheRossers
You were lucky, we sent an email to customs asking about my swords and never got a response. So I'm taking them and will give them some grief if they have a problem with it.
Which will be nothing compared to the "grïef"they will be able to give you. Declare every thing, especially any double edged blades ,which will come under scruitiny. Remember AQIS, will go through your goods, and will alert Customs to any suspect items, most shipping company employees,{ myself included} have done courses in "frontline detection" run by customs, so we are obliged to notify them of any breaches. Australian Customs have a lot of POWER and are a law untoo them selves. ....................... mm