British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Can you take wood in to OZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/can-you-take-wood-oz-302505/)

Rockville May 12th 2005 2:03 pm

Can you take wood in to OZ?

Hi everyone,
Hope this isn't a really stupid question but moving to Sydney in Sept and was just wondering if you can take in wooden objects, photo frames, ornaments etc. Not shipping anything, just small stuff in suitcase.
Someone told me once they wont allow wooden produvts in and if found will confiscate them and fine you??
Any clues??

island.girl May 12th 2005 3:38 pm

Re: Can you take wood in to OZ?

Originally Posted by Rockville
Hi everyone,
Hope this isn't a really stupid question but moving to Sydney in Sept and was just wondering if you can take in wooden objects, photo frames, ornaments etc. Not shipping anything, just small stuff in suitcase.
Someone told me once they wont allow wooden produvts in and if found will confiscate them and fine you??
Any clues??

hello! as far as im aware u can, depending on what it is.and has to be clean. there are lots of threads on here so do a search, im sure u will find loads of info! :)

FVC May 12th 2005 5:22 pm

Hi, just to let you know, we have some friends who took a wicker laundry basket (I known it is larger than you are taking in your case), but when the container reached customs, they wanted to fumigate it etc at an massive cost. In the end they told customs to destroy it!

sa2oz May 12th 2005 6:10 pm

Any processed wood (furniture etc) is not a problem.
Baskets will be fumigated or destroyed. No seeds meat fruit flowers etc. Also dont take any African curios (wood). The wood is generally untreated and full of worms. i concur with the fumigation costs as i know a few people who rather destroyed stuff than pay for fumigation. At the airport they have dogs that will sniff you and are trained to find all this contraband. If the dog sits next to you, you are in for a LONG day! They actually also have post restricions etc on the AQIS website Something like Australian Quarantine inspection. I went to the Customs website. Sent an email asking about this, and was sent a link to their site which is very clear

wombat42 May 12th 2005 8:17 pm

Hi everyone,
Any clues??

Just be careful if you are stopping off in Asia on the way to OZ, they hang wood smugglers along with the drug smugglers. :D

Nicky & Dave May 12th 2005 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
Just be careful if you are stopping off in Asia on the way to OZ, they hang wood smugglers along with the drug smugglers. :D

Yep, and I think WOMBATS have just been added to the list too! ;)

Rockville May 13th 2005 7:45 am

Thansk evryone, don't think i'll bother taking anything in!!
Just buy new
Gill

chaval May 13th 2005 9:44 am

Thansk evryone, don't think i'll bother taking anything in!!
Just buy new
Gill

I must admit i smile at all the posts that say about taking that and taking this...my view is that if it dont fit into 2 suitcases its geting chucked...dunno how my good lady willl feel when it comes to chucking her shoes out tho...lol... :scared:

paulf May 13th 2005 10:06 am

Victoria Wood

teddy78 May 13th 2005 10:16 am

will clean, wooden statues be ok for customs clearance?

squeezzii May 13th 2005 1:43 pm

As I understood it, you can only take in things that have been treated like furniture-I guess its ok for picture frames if they've been varnished etc but stuff like wicker,raffia,pot pourii etc is a total no go :)

teach May 13th 2005 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by chaval
I must admit i smile at all the posts that say about taking that and taking this...my view is that if it dont fit into 2 suitcases its geting chucked...dunno how my good lady willl feel when it comes to chucking her shoes out tho...lol... :scared:

Hi chaval,
Tell to have a chat with me. I have managed to get our financial history down to 2 folders and everything else into about 2 boxes. I don't have a problem getting rid of shoes as there are always nicer ones out there. My Terry Pratchett books is another story, lol.
Sarah

chaval May 13th 2005 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by teach
Hi chaval,
Tell to have a chat with me. I have managed to get our financial history down to 2 folders and everything else into about 2 boxes. I don't have a problem getting rid of shoes as there are always nicer ones out there. My Terry Pratchett books is another story, lol.
Sarah

:D thats what i say chuck the lot an start again...i was gonna put a post on saying...should i take my wool crombie for use in brizzy...lol
i will seriously be taking 2 cases...the rest as alan sugar says will be fired....actaually u've made me think..all my books...mmmmm anyone off to uni an want some (quite) old books.. ?

Pollyana May 13th 2005 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by teach
Hi chaval,
Sarah

I agree Sarah, I brought 3 pairs of shoes, and 10 boxes of books - and I think Anya4Oz outdid even me! Now we have a house with cupboards I have unpacked them all, and The Bloke just stood staring at them muttering "OMG I didn;t realise there was THAT many!" :D Books are like friends, you can't part with the good ones. :)

TheRossers May 13th 2005 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by sa2oz
I went to the Customs website. Sent an email asking about this, and was sent a link to their site which is very clear

You were lucky, we sent an email to customs asking about my swords and never got a response. So I'm taking them and will give them some grief if they have a problem with it.