Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you play......

Can you play......

Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you play......

....a didgeridoo?

I went into the city today to get several cheap and hilarious tourist 'tat' gifts for my folks, to give them a laugh when they arrive in a weeks time. Walking around the shops, I couldn't help but notice (or hear) the sounds of several enthusiastic (but hopelessly crap) tourists, 'having a go' at playing a didge, before shelling out hundreds of $$$ to have their beloved memento swathed in bubble wrap and flown back to their respective homes.

I imagine it to be a bit like 'spot the tourist returning from Spain'...pathetically sad straw donkey tucked under their arm and the obligatory bottle of sangria hanging out of their flight bag, 'cept there'll be several goons lumping 5 foot long dig's thorough customs, not a clue how to play the damn thing and it then sits in the corner of their living room for the next year or two before being relegated to the attic.

Anyway,I digress. Can any of you actually play a Didgeridoo?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:59 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can you play......

Originally Posted by steandleigh
....a didgeridoo?

I went into the city today to get several cheap and hilarious tourist 'tat' gifts for my folks, to give them a laugh when they arrive in a weeks time. Walking around the shops, I couldn't help but notice (or hear) the sounds of several enthusiastic (but hopelessly crap) tourists, 'having a go' at playing a didge, before shelling out hundreds of $$$ to have their beloved memento swathed in bubble wrap and flown back to their respective homes.

I imagine it to be a bit like 'spot the tourist returning from Spain'...pathetically sad straw donkey tucked under their arm and the obligatory bottle of sangria hanging out of their flight bag, 'cept there'll be several goons lumping 5 foot long dig's thorough customs, not a clue how to play the damn thing and it then sits in the corner of their living room for the next year or two before being relegated to the attic.

When we were over last year, hubby actually went for didgeridoo lessons! He can nearly make a tune now, but that is much betteer than me who can't get anything out of it
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
When we were over last year, hubby actually went for didgeridoo lessons! He can nearly make a tune now, but that is much betteer than me who can't get anything out of it
Mega! Can he do the 'animal' sounds?

My best attempt sounds like a damp fart!!! Ste is pretty good though, can do the 'rhythmic breathing' and all that malarkey.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Nope.......no way...my son Toby can though, mind you he is full of wind!!!

I can play the spoons though!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Nope.......no way...my son Toby can though, mind you he is full of wind!!!

I can play the spoons though!
>Mental image of Sandra tapping away with her best silver<
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:01 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Mega! Can he do the 'animal' sounds?
Only when we are dressed up as a wolf and a sheep
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Only when we are dressed up as a wolf and a sheep
Ooh err missus!!!! It's all coming out now!!! :scared: Heh-heh!!!

(BTW...who's the sheep?)
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:13 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=steandleigh Anyway,I digress. Can any of you actually play a Didgeridoo?[/QUOTE]

I think the instrument was made for the ladies.
It requires much skill in the blowing dept.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
I think the instrument was made for the ladies.
It requires much skill in the blowing dept.
I've tried but this particular instrument needs too much 'blow' for my liking..... Capacious lungs are needed...unfortunately not my dept.

Am still waiting to hear whether or not Anne is the 'sheep'!!!! :scared:
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Tradition dictates that women are not allowed to play the instrument!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:27 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Cool Re: Can you play......

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Tradition dictates that women are not allowed to play the instrument!

But what about the didgeridoo?

Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

....a didgeridoo?

Have to admit ....I was really impressed with hubby when we went to visit the Rainforestation in Cairns. He was the only tourist that managed to make a slightly 'melodic' noise. Thankfully he didn't buy one. They ARE very expensive. I think he was put off when I said I'd stick it up his backside if he bought one home with him!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Have to admit ....I was really impressed with hubby when we went to visit the Rainforestation in Cairns. He was the only tourist that managed to make a slightly 'melodic' noise. Thankfully he didn't buy one. They ARE very expensive. I think he was put off when I said I'd stick it up his backside if he bought one home with him!
Seems like it's one 'up' for the boys - are they not ANY women out there who can play? Perhaps why women are traditionally 'not' allowed to play - 'cos they're so BAD at it!?

Had to laugh, Netta, am wondering what kind of sound John would have produced with the Didge up his rear!!! :scared:
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:49 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried but this particular instrument needs too much 'blow' for my liking..... Capacious lungs are needed...unfortunately not my dept.

Am still waiting to hear whether or not Anne is the 'sheep'!!!! :scared:
No, no, Leigh - you don't have to blow, you have to vibrate your lips, dear....

Dh got a didge when we were over in May and he's actually quite good with it. He can coax something like music out of it - well, he's getting there. He got his in Fremantle and has signed up for a class when we get back....yawn....
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
No, no, Leigh - you don't have to blow, you have to vibrate your lips, dear....
I know, more like blowing a raspberry! :scared: Well, that's what we call it in our household!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.