Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can you get child benifits on a 457 visa?

can you get child benifits on a 457 visa?

Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Gegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the rough
Default can you get child benifits on a 457 visa?

My girlfriend is having a baby in march, we have been in oz for 11 months on a whv i av just been sponsered by work and was wondering if we would be able to claim any tax credits or child benefits?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you get child benifits on a 457 visa?

Originally Posted by Gegsy Brown
My girlfriend is having a baby in march, we have been in oz for 11 months on a whv i av just been sponsered by work and was wondering if we would be able to claim any tax credits or child benefits?
No, unfortunately not.

Congrats though
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

No, you cannot, not on this visa.

However maybe you can get LAFHA.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Gegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the rough

thank you for the quick replys what is a LAFHA.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gegsy Brown
thank you for the quick replys what is a LAFHA.
It is a tax related benefit, something you should talk to your employer about. In a nutshell, they would agree to call some of your remuneration a "living away from home allowance" and it means you don't get taxed on that portion of your income.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

fairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to all

You already have your replies
We lost all our child benefit in the Uk and couldn't claim any here either, just filled in my first application yehahhh

Anyway

just wanted to say

CONGRATULATIONS
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Just be aware that you might need to pay for some of the hospitial costs even in a public hospitial, if you try to take private health insurance the waiting period for obstetrics is 12 months so you would miss the boat.

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Sep 14th 2011 at 10:22 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the advice.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Just be aware that you might need to pay for some of the hospitial costs even in a public hospitial, if you try to take private health insurance the waiting period for obstetrics is 12 months so you would miss the boat.
Why would they pay some hospital costs in the public hospital...does reciprocal not cover as much as PR in this regard?

BTW, just for anyone reading, the 12 month private hospital wait is usually 12 months before the birth, not before conception.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

stargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my baby on a 457. I didn't have to pay any hospital costs but did have to pay for GP referral appointment (obviously, same as any GP appointments here).
The public hospital I attended here in Perth was at least as good as the one I would have gone to in the UK.
Congratulations!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

We applied for child benefits etc but got nothing as our joint annual income is greater than $109,000

John
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:27 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by John_R
We applied for child benefits etc but got nothing as our joint annual income is greater than $109,000

John
Which is exactly as it should be. The benefits are there for those that really need it, and if you're earning that much it's not "needed" for day to day living. There aren't many people who would sympathize with you.

Before you jump down my throat about it, we also applied and did not get it because my husband's income was too high. Did I cry about it? No. I knew we didn't need the money and if anything I was actually happy that we didn't meet the criteria, for two reasons really.... a) because we made enough to support ourselves and b) because it meant that the government wasn't just throwing money at people who didn't need it just because they had children.

As a side note... the original poster should be mostly covered under a reciprocal agreement if they are from the UK. If they are not from the UK or another country in the agreement then they would not be covered. There are people on this board from all over so I don't want to assume that they are covered. We were from Canada and would not have been covered by the reciprocal agreement.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No benefits, as a rule. Child won't be an Australian citizen either.